Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Bought the Cheapest Turbo Porsche in the USA: 1 Year Ownership Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 12:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I Bought the Cheapest Turbo Porsche in the USA: 1 Year Ownership Report

thought this was a good read...

I'm really surprised that a year has passed since I purchased a very cheap 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo -- and I'm even more surprised by how reasonable it has been to own. As far as used Porsches go, I couldn't have gotten any luckier -- but as my time with the Cayenne ends, I do have some concerns with its long term reliability.

After realizing depreciation had taken their toll on these 450-horsepower, twin-turbocharged beasts -- making them cheaper than your average beater Porsche 944 Turbo -- I decided to give one a try. The one I snagged came from Florida, and I purchased it sight-unseen at auction, where a local friend picked it up for me. He immediately noticed a misfire -- but he discovered someone had loosened a coil just enough from the spark plug to cause a miss. This was likely done by some unscrupulous individual to make the car sell cheaper at auction -- but they probably didn't count on some idiot buying it from across the country sight unseen.

For $6,100, plus another $1,000 in shipping, I had a beautiful Cayenne with 144,000 miles at my door -- and mercifully, it only had minor issues. The initial repairs included a ride height sensor for $200, a vacuum line repair for another $200, as well as an oil change. That's it! Not only was the initial sorting very reasonable, but I was rewarded with total reliability for the next six months and 6,000 miles. I was so thrilled with my good luck that I decided to waste $3,000 updating its look -- but, unfortunately, the next six months were a little more troublesome.

The first issue came after repainting the bumper, which somehow illuminated every warning light in the dashboard, and caused the speedometer to stop working. The painter mentioned he had trouble removing the headlights, and the wiring for them was falling apart. I elected to replace the wiring harnesses for these lights, but it didn't explain why the rest of the car was going crazy. My mechanic, the car wizard, suspected the ABS control module. This very expensive part requires a dealer-level scan tool to program, so I had no choice but to schedule an appointment with the Porsche dealer -- expecting a massive bill.

Much to my relief, the dealer only charged me $380 to fix the problem -- and it wasn't the Cayenne's fault. While they were chasing wiring and cleaning connections, the tech discovered a fuse was missing entirely. When I called my painter to ask how this was possible, it turned out his helper swapped a fuse after replacing the headlight wiring to make sure the headlights worked again, but he may have forgotten to replace the original fuse. I was a little peeved -- but since he saved me $700 by repairing the bumper instead of replacing it, and since he's a friend that I need for future paint work, I let it slide.

The other problems came after test drives, by the same person, on two separate occasions. A friend was interested in buying it -- but on the first drive, another vacuum line broke on the brake booster, making the pedal extremely hard to push. This repair was only $90 -- but when this person came to test drive it for the second time, it broke again. This time he tried the low range in the transfer case, and it refused to disengage. My mechanic was able to revive the transfer case actuator for $45 by cleaning it -- but he suggested if I wanted to keep using low range, that I should replace this $700 part. Needless to say, after two failures, my friend didn't buy it -- and I haven't touched the low range since.

The only scheduled repair I chose to have done was the sway bar links, which only cost $150. Totaling this with the entire year, I spent just under $1,000. That's a great deal -- and if I hadn't modified the Cayenne, I could have sold it for close to what I had into it -- but the $3,000 in modifications (which added zero value) means that I'll lose some money when I finally find a buyer. Still, my ownership experience was way cheaper than buying a new, or slightly used, Cayenne Turbo.

Even though I was very fortunate with my ownership experience, I do have a few concerns with this car's long-term prospects. I imagine the vacuum line issues will continue to plague this era of Cayenne, as they are hard plastic and literally fall apart with age. Eventually, bubble gum fixes won't work, and it will need all of them replaced entirely. I imagine this would require dropping the engine, and the lines aren't cheap. This job will probably end up being too expensive to fix for a heavily-depreciated Cayenne Turbo.

My other concern is the degrading wiring. The same degraded wiring found in the headlight harnesses is found throughout the car. Given that the area behind the headlights is exposed to the most heat, it makes sense those wires would fall apart first -- but while I was researching the issue that turned out to be a missing fuse, I discovered that another common problem involved wiring degradation around the floorboard -- which created similar symptoms. Since replacing all the wiring would be nearly impossible, it might be a miracle to see a first-generation Cayenne still on the road 15 years from now.

Even with my concerns, I still love this car. On the surface, especially in the interior, the quality is great -- and the seats are extremely comfortable. Other than the 13 miles per gallon average, I have zero complaints with the 450-horsepower twin-turbo drivetrain, as well as the fantastic (and surprisingly reliable) air suspension. If I hadn't already bought three cars to replace this one, I would certainly be keeping it -- and no, that's not a typo. I really do have a problem ...
https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...81474979860112
Old 06-11-18, 01:57 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting, I have a friend who is an original owner of this era Cayenne. I imagine the vacuum lines and electrical wiring is just as suspect on a base Cayenne as it is on the Turbo model. It'll be interesting to see what happens to his as time goes on.
Old 06-11-18, 04:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

so a dozen or so things broke on this 'great deal'. i'll pass.
Old 06-12-18, 05:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so a dozen or so things broke on this 'great deal'. i'll pass.
On the flipside, he's into the thing for a total of $10k, and will get $7k back when he sells it. Meanwhile a new Cayenne Turbo with a light smattering of options goes for about $140k, and you'd be lucky to get $90k back a year later.
Old 06-12-18, 05:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
On the flipside, he's into the thing for a total of $10k, and will get $7k back when he sells it. Meanwhile a new Cayenne Turbo with a light smattering of options goes for about $140k, and you'd be lucky to get $90k back a year later.
as a hobby, sure, maybe fun... but all the time he spent fixing it or going to and from places that fix it - i guess that doesn't include the value of his time. i just don'tr want to be driving something that's constantly breaking no matter how cheap.
Old 06-12-18, 06:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For the original owner of this car, the repairs are not bad. Beats buying a new Porsche for 150K. For the new second owner, it a decent deal but it will be crazy expensive to repair once anything major starts to go
Old 06-12-18, 07:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

its one of those cars that I would scared to drive much for contstant fear something else would fail/break.....been there, done that.
Old 06-12-18, 10:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

After I saw that picture of the headlight wiring harness, my thoughts turned to the Porsche pulling a full Buddhist monk and self immolating itself in Hoovie's attached garage, burning his house down, killing him, his cute Asian woman and his adorable daughter.

So yeah, hell no would I own that gen Cayenne. Much more interesting and reliable suv's for similar(or much cheaper) money than that thing, aka his Lexus Land Cruiser.
Old 06-13-18, 04:38 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I sometimes daydream about doing things like this... purchasing a recently six-figure-vehicle that lost the depreciation wars and was down in the more attainable $20k-$30k range within just a few short years... more than a few Mercs come to mind *cough* many AMGs *cough*

There's no way I'd be able to sleep at night wondering if the car was going to start in the morning, or if tomorrow's the day that I fly to Mexico to sell a kidney so I can pay the repair bill.
Old 06-13-18, 04:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
I sometimes daydream about doing things like this... purchasing a recently six-figure-vehicle that lost the depreciation wars and was down in the more attainable $20k-$30k range within just a few short years... more than a few Mercs come to mind *cough* many AMGs *cough*
It is common sense that high end cars would plummet in value quickly. Were you not aware of that? Need to keep cars a long time if you are going to buy them, especially high price models.
Old 06-13-18, 06:15 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is common sense that high end cars would plummet in value quickly. Were you not aware of that? Need to keep cars a long time if you are going to buy them, especially high price models.
Oh I’m very well awake of that. I’m more referring to the severe financial cliff that is their value. Yes, expensive cars do depreciate very quickly, but some waaaaay faster than others, and some level out before hitting the ground floor, while others fall straight through and out the bottom of the ground floor.
Old 06-13-18, 09:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This guy around the corner is a real jerk lol nobody is allowed to park across the street from his house, so I told him I was gonna not park there but changed my mind, and did. When I parked my LS430 there he talked out loud so I could hear him, but I took the high road and ignored (can you imagine middle aged people acting like that hahahahaha).

Anyway, his house is a German car show, you can peer in and he's working on a 911, or a 914, or a 944 Turbo, or a 635Csi, or on and on. He had a Cayenne S from whatever era where the back looks like the original, and the nose looks updated. I laughed when I saw he had a loaner from the local Porsche dealer. Meaning I am confident this guy fixes anything and everything, but the Cayenne had to go to the dealer for repairs.

My wife's cousin's hubby said as a general rule, Porsche is a PITA, it's much more expensive and a pain when compared to BMW and MB. This guy restored 3 944's and was complaining all throughout (like the transaxles). When he restored a 635 or a 750, no complaints, it's like he can do it in his sleep. There's a reason why you'll see a 2014 911 Turbo being worked on at an indie
Old 06-13-18, 09:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My cousin got a first gen Cayanne he bought for pretty cheap and had to get rid of it after a few weeks because it had so many expensive issues, think he said the issues were going to cost close or around to what he paid for the Cayanne to have fixed. Cayannes and 911's are very different when it comes to reliability.
Old 06-13-18, 09:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What I think would be much more cool than a Cayenne Turbo, is the GTS with a 6-spd manual. I would love to drive it....(12 mpg does not scare me at all)

here's one

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nual-for-sale/
Old 06-13-18, 10:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I think would be much more cool than a Cayenne Turbo, is the GTS with a 6-spd manual. I would love to drive it....(12 mpg does not scare me at all)

here's one

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nual-for-sale/
yep, at least you wouldn't worry about transmission issues.

Quick Reply: I Bought the Cheapest Turbo Porsche in the USA: 1 Year Ownership Report