Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are all car dealers moving to no-haggle used pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Are all car dealers moving to no-haggle used pricing?

They sure would like to.
i sure hope so. because it still won't eliminate competition. just save many hours at the dealership. i know i know, you do it all by email before... i've had zero success trying to do that (they simply won't give quotes via email when i've tried).
Old 06-09-18, 01:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i sure hope so. because it still won't eliminate competition. just save many hours at the dealership. i know i know, you do it all by email before... i've had zero success trying to do that (they simply won't give quotes via email when i've tried).
Because if you have it in writing you'll just present it to a competitor and have them beat it, dealers couldn't sell anything that way. The internet is a win for consumers, but it kills dealers. Rarely do they sell anything at MSRP these days. The no-haggle for the most part is supposed to help be more transparent and give the bottom line price. Customers will still shop that number though. Funny thing is customers complain about not getting 'extras' like they used to ie key chains, hats, free services, thermoses etc.. and that's because there's little to no money to give without loses money on a deal. Most sales have to sell by quantity now, and make profit from service and finance. Back in 2000 when one is paying MSRP, the dealer is glad to get you that hat.
Old 06-09-18, 01:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Because if you have it in writing you'll just present it to a competitor and have them beat it, dealers couldn't sell anything that way. The internet is a win for consumers, but it kills dealers. Rarely do they sell anything at MSRP these days. The no-haggle for the most part is supposed to help be more transparent and give the bottom line price. Customers will still shop that number though. Funny thing is customers complain about not getting 'extras' like they used to ie key chains, hats, free services, thermoses etc.. and that's because there's little to no money to give without loses money on a deal. Most sales have to sell by quantity now, and make profit from service and finance. Back in 2000 when one is paying MSRP, the dealer is glad to get you that hat.
post of the day.

it's another 'tragedy of the commons' or "i'm entitled to a better deal than everyone else so they can pay for the fancy dealership, not me!"
Old 06-09-18, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Because if you have it in writing you'll just present it to a competitor and have them beat it,
That only works up to a point...other dealers may or may not (chances are they won't) have the exact same vehicle in stock to compare it to (apples and oranges). Even if they work a trade with another dealership (which is sometimes done) to get that exact vehicle, it probably won't sell it for the exact same price, because the dealership who first has the vehicle will want something for the deal. Where that comparison system you speak of probably works best is when you are special-ordering a car from the factory, exactly the way you want it.....then, of course, whoever gives you the lowest price will be comparing apples with apples.
Old 06-09-18, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... i've had zero success trying to do that (they simply won't give quotes via email when i've tried).
I agree. I have had no success. Every quot via email I have ever asked for was full MSRP. When I bought my last car, after I got the price, a competing dealer followed up with me via email and asked me what they could do to win my business, I told them to beat XXXXX price and they told me we can’t possibly match that and thanks. I don’t believe these so called internet email deals.
Old 06-09-18, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That only works up to a point...other dealers may or may not (chances are they won't) have the exact same vehicle in stock to compare it to (apples and oranges).
I can't speak for other automakers, but Lexus unless you special order, build their cars by region. So options are almost always the same.

Even if they work a trade with another dealership (which is sometimes done) to get that exact vehicle, it probably won't sell it for the exact same price, because the dealership who first has the vehicle will want something for the deal.
Often they trade the same car with similar options, just a different color. Lexus sales managers here in the Bay Area know each other and often help each other out, though there is one dealer that refuses to trade with anyone because they are the largest in NorCal.

Where that comparison system you speak of probably works best is when you are special-ordering a car from the factory, exactly the way you want it.....then, of course, whoever gives you the lowest price will be comparing apples with apples.
You lost me. I don't recall writing 'comparison' in my post you responded to.
Old 06-09-18, 02:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I just bought a family member a CPO 2015 RX with this new fixed pricing at my local Lexus dealer. They call it "Lexus Plus". It was a great experience for me. I did some searching at the local dealers as there are several Lexus dealers around me 5 or 6 within an hours radius. This was the best price despite it being no haggle and there was no dealer fee! they give you a simple print out with the tax on it and the tag fee depending on if you need a new one or transfer and thats it. 3 itemized lines nothing else. I was in and out in 2 hours and only dealt with one person. It was a pleasure to me. Sometimes like others have said there is some haggling. They refused at this Lexus dealer but I also bought a CPO Mercedes CLS550 late last year and they had a fixed price. After lots of back and forth over a couple days I ended up with a couple grand off their "no haggle price" so I think it depends on the dealer.
Is your dealer JM Lexus? I recently was on the Lexus Plus website and noticed this was the one in FL I was curious about the status of this program as initially there were 13 Plus dealers and now it is down to 12. I'm wondering if this means Plus hasn't taken off as well as Lexus thought it might and if most dealers aren't embracing it. Good to hear of your satisfaction. It is an intriguing concept.
Old 06-09-18, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I can't speak for other automakers, but Lexus unless you special order, build their cars by region. So options are almost always the same.
The, but that doesn't necessarily mean that identically-colored/equipped cars will necessarily be in stock at different dealerships. Maybe, maybe not.

You lost me. I don't recall writing 'comparison' in my post you responded to.
I was using the term to describe the statement (below) that you made earlier.......basically comparing the asking prices of two or more different Lexus shops for the same vehicle (if possible).

if you have it in writing you'll just present it to a competitor and have them beat it,
Old 06-09-18, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

The, but that doesn't necessarily mean that identically-colored/equipped cars will necessarily be in stock at different dealerships. Maybe, maybe not.
Lexus dealers use a 'Vehicle Locator' in their online dealer network to look up what cars are on the ground, allocated, or in transit at every Lexus dealership. So they'll know ahead of time what they're looking for and who has it. Dealers do occasionally 'hide' a car, or mark as DNT (do not trade), usually special feature or special color cars.

I was using the term to describe the statement (below) that you made earlier.......basically comparing the asking prices of two or more different Lexus shops for the same vehicle (if possible).
Dealers all buy these cars for the same price, destination may be a few hundred less or more. So if a AWD RX350 with NAV and Premium package is $54K and Dealer A offers it for $49K sale price and is silly enough to give me a print out with that price, I can go to Dealer B and show them. They're not going to give you thousands off that, but maybe a few hundred less, maybe $48,500 to entice you to buy from them. This is why dealers will almost always only verbally tell you what they'll sell the car for. Because if I go to Dealer B and tell them what Dealer A told me, I can't pull their leg by lowering the number.
Old 06-09-18, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

You need to reach dealers through their internet departments using platforms like Edmunds, TrueCar, etc where they have no choice but to give you quotes over email. If you just go through the dealer directly they resist I agree.

I have no idea why you guys have issues getting these quotes, I have zero issues. Just negotiated a deal for my sister in law last week on a Honda Odyssey. It literally took me about 25 minutes and I had a bottom
price and the van she wanted, she was in and out in 45 minutes with her new van. She was dumbfounded.

Zero issue.
Old 06-10-18, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just negotiated a deal for my sister in law last week on a Honda Odyssey. It literally took me about 25 minutes and I had a bottom
price and the van she wanted, she was in and out in 45 minutes with her new van. She was dumbfounded.

Couldn't talk her into a Pacifica LOL? (just kidding)

Anyhow, congratulations to her.
Old 06-10-18, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Couldn't talk her into a Pacifica LOL? (just kidding)

Anyhow, congratulations to her.
Theyre Honda people lol. In any event they keep cars forever, so in that case the Odyssey is a better choice.
Old 06-11-18, 07:19 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Is your dealer JM Lexus? I recently was on the Lexus Plus website and noticed this was the one in FL I was curious about the status of this program as initially there were 13 Plus dealers and now it is down to 12. I'm wondering if this means Plus hasn't taken off as well as Lexus thought it might and if most dealers aren't embracing it. Good to hear of your satisfaction. It is an intriguing concept.
Yes I did buy at JM Lexus. I haven't seen any others in FL advertising. I haven't done much research about the program but they have extended it to all aspects of their dealership. Preowned cars are sold with the new cars in the same building (used to be separate building across the street), when you go in for service you only deal with your advisor from start to finish this includes getting you a rental, payment, etc. You never talk to anyone else at all just your one guy (similar to how they do the car purchasing. with only one guy from start to finish). I don't really care how many people I deal with for service but I guess they figure it stream lines the process. They only operate service by appointment now as well no walk ins is what I have been told.
Old 06-11-18, 09:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

No, not all car dealers are going to a one-price thing. I am seeing less of it, in fact. I hope the trend continues. Smart shoppers deserve a better deal through bargaining, and competition is good for all of us.
Old 06-12-18, 04:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 346 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I agree. I have had no success. Every quot via email I have ever asked for was full MSRP. When I bought my last car, after I got the price, a competing dealer followed up with me via email and asked me what they could do to win my business, I told them to beat XXXXX price and they told me we can’t possibly match that and thanks. I don’t believe these so called internet email deals.
A sales person who gives an aggressive price blindly over email or over the phone without meeting & qualifying the customer won't be a sales person for long. I'd argue they aren't a sales person to begin with, but that's another topic. There's no advantage to giving a realistic "closing" price over the phone/email. You're simply negotiating against yourself. Once the potential customer is sitting in front of you and you've properly qualified what they need/want and can afford, you're in a position to negotiate.

I've been in complex sales 15 years (not auto) and if someone blindly calls me and asks for a quote for something, the only thing I'll give them is what I call a "budgetary quote" - it's simply to help them have a ball park of what they need to budget/plan to spend but both the customer and I know it's not the selling price. In my industry, this is widely accepted and not insulting to the customer.

I understand it's annoying in the auto vertical when you want to avoid going to a bunch of dealerships in order to get the final price, but let's be realistic - with all of the pricing data and info you can collect on the internet all across the country, if you don't have an idea of where you can land on buying a car (within $1,000) then you aren't doing enough homework. Plus, you likely know what color, options, etc. you want and you know if the dealer has it - so you wouldn't waste your time visiting a dealership that doesn't have a car that you want. When I was shopping for my current LS, I stumbled on 12-20 cars that were still online but had been recently sold. So I asked what they sold it for- and at least 50% of the time people would tell me the exact amount or let me guess a ballpark (private sellers will almost always tell you what they sold it for). Knowing the average asking price, miles, options, condition, how long it was for sale, and the ultimate selling price is a very powerful combination of info to have when you start seriously shopping. My LS460L was priced at $28,500. I made one offer- $22k - they took 24 hours to get back to me, but accepted. I knew I was about $1,500 lower than I should be, but it had been on the lot for a while and I knew they would have to wholesale it within the next 14 days. So my offer was higher than what they'd get from a wholesaler... and I guarantee that's why it took them 24 hours to respond...

Info is king- and there's tons of it out there. Someone is always getting sold on something- is it you or the person you're negotiating against?

Quick Reply: Are all car dealers moving to no-haggle used pricing?