Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 01:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)

great video explaining this. new acura control mechanism/pad and interface looks great - fast, sophisticated, flexible/configuration.

Old 05-28-18, 02:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What a plustercluck, lol. Everyone needs to just copy the damn i-drive already, and quit with those lame intefaces.

Everyone universally hates the Lexus touchpad system and agrees that it is the worst possible infotainment interface, and the geniuses at Acura decide to copy it. Great job.

Last edited by Och; 05-28-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 02:59 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used the acura touch controls but purly from the looks it just looks awful, cheap and messy.
Old 05-28-18, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great video explaining this. new acura control mechanism/pad and interface looks great - fast, sophisticated, flexible/configuration.
Agreed. Alex does it again...and, IMO, proves why he is the best auto reviewer in the business. He explained the system in a way that even I could basically understand it...and, yes, that's saying something, as systems like that just are usually just not my forte. I don't use about 90% of those screen-functions, don't hook up my cell-phone while I'm driving, and usually do little else on the screen besides change the radio station and re-set the clock every six months for the time change....though on the Lacrosse, some A/C and vent-route functions also have to be done on the screen. I know where all of the businesses, stores, restaurants, and dealerships are that I regularly visit, and don't need a video screen to search them for me. But, If I did need those functions, on the new Acura system, Alex certainly made it easier to understand.
Old 05-28-18, 10:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Call me old fashion, but I still believe there is way too much being offered inside today's vehicles. It is bad enough everyone is looking down at their phone. These added "utilities," no matter how sophisticated, will only add more distraction.
Old 05-29-18, 03:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I've never used the acura touch controls but purly from the looks it just looks awful, cheap and messy.
How does the touch pad of the Acura look cheap and the Lexus one does not. They look identical and are touch pads. The Acura one is light years more advanced with its one to one system.

Last edited by Freds430; 05-30-18 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-29-18, 03:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

The RDX will put a hurting on the NX. They will both be priced the same. The NX has no Android Auto or Apple Play, no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, much better mouse pad, real leather and wood accents and no cheap black plastic around each wheel well. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. The ELS sound system with its 16 speakers, four in the ceiling, will be no comparison to the NX.
Old 05-29-18, 10:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No way. After enduring 3 years of the touchpad on my NX I will never buy another vehicle with a touchpad for an interface. Acura has made a huge mistake.
Old 05-29-18, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Call me old fashion, but I still believe there is way too much being offered inside today's vehicles. It is bad enough everyone is looking down at their phone. These added "utilities," no matter how sophisticated, will only add more distraction.

I basically agree with Fizzboy on today's vehicles having too many features, though one does not necessarily have use all of those functions....I don't.
Old 05-29-18, 02:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

For the hard-to-reach functions, I basically use voice commands if it can't wait. I honestly think that voice commands are highly under-utilized in cars, particularly for functions that are buried deep in the menus. Off-topic but just sayin'.
Old 05-30-18, 01:03 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Same boat as you. Cars are getting too busy inside and too techie. Tech is good but too much of it will just cluster-F the interior.

Am I the only one that prefers Lexus' joystick over the trackpad? For some reason - the Lexus joystick reminds me of the BMW iDrive (early years).

Originally Posted by Freds430
The RDX will put a hurting on the NX. They will both be priced the same. The NX has no Android Auto or Apple Play, no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, much better mouse pad, real leather and wood accents and no cheap black plastic around each wheel well. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. The ELS sound system with its 16 speakers, four in the ceiling, will be no comparison to the NX.
Some corrections:
The A-Spec RDX and NX F-Sport will be priced similar. <--- These two models will carry similar options to each other but with the NX/RDX having their own features that the others don't have.

HUD is not a A-Spec feature. Its a Advance pack feature on the RDX. The Advance pack RDX will cost closer to 50K with SH-AWD.
16 Speakers ELS, again, is another Advance pack feature.
Real wood, another Advance pack feature.
Note: Advance pack can not be bought with A-Spec. You will have to settle with the ugly design of the RDX. Check pics for Non A-Spec RDX - its hella ugly.
Advance Pack RDX will definitely have more features than the NX but will anyone really pay close to 50K for an Acura? That's the question.

Apple/Android Car play is not a deal breaker. I'm not sure why people make it seem like its such a deal breaker. Do you really need something to mirror your phone onto the screen inside the car? Think about it this way: The 2019 Acura RDX has a brand new infotainment system - new graphics - new everything - would anyone degrade it and use Apple Car play over it?

If you own a luxury car, using Apple Car play makes your car look cheap. There is a reason why 10-20K cars come with it standard and 50K plus cars don't. I'll change my tune when Apple Car play gets so good it makes people replace iDrive for it or Virtual Cockpit.
Old 05-30-18, 03:47 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Same boat as you. Cars are getting too busy inside and too techie. Tech is good but too much of it will just cluster-F the interior.

Am I the only one that prefers Lexus' joystick over the trackpad? For some reason - the Lexus joystick reminds me of the BMW iDrive (early years).

Some corrections:
The A-Spec RDX and NX F-Sport will be priced similar. <--- These two models will carry similar options to each other but with the NX/RDX having their own features that the others don't have.

HUD is not a A-Spec feature. Its a Advance pack feature on the RDX. The Advance pack RDX will cost closer to 50K with SH-AWD.
16 Speakers ELS, again, is another Advance pack feature.
Real wood, another Advance pack feature.
Note: Advance pack can not be bought with A-Spec. You will have to settle with the ugly design of the RDX. Check pics for Non A-Spec RDX - its hella ugly.
Advance Pack RDX will definitely have more features than the NX but will anyone really pay close to 50K for an Acura? That's the question.

Apple/Android Car play is not a deal breaker. I'm not sure why people make it seem like its such a deal breaker. Do you really need something to mirror your phone onto the screen inside the car? Think about it this way: The 2019 Acura RDX has a brand new infotainment system - new graphics - new everything - would anyone degrade it and use Apple Car play over it?

If you own a luxury car, using Apple Car play makes your car look cheap. There is a reason why 10-20K cars come with it standard and 50K plus cars don't. I'll change my tune when Apple Car play gets so good it makes people replace iDrive for it or Virtual Cockpit.
2019 RDX Advanced with AWD is $48,395.
Old 05-30-18, 04:23 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
No way. After enduring 3 years of the touchpad on my NX I will never buy another vehicle with a touchpad for an interface. Acura has made a huge mistake.
Well yes you were a beta tester and so were the RC owners but new LS really makes it right. Finally.

Also Acura has completely different adaptation of touchpad that is not comparable to Lexus. Their touchpad is act like a touchscreen mirror. Quite clever.
Old 05-30-18, 07:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

Waze saved me from 4 different speed traps this weekend. Let me know when the stock nav can do the same.
Old 05-30-18, 09:17 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Waze saved me from 4 different speed traps this weekend. Let me know when the stock nav can do the same.
Sure. A stock navigation can't save you from speed traps. But is "avoiding speed traps" a good enough reason to want Apple/Android Car play? How accurate is the speed trap tracker? Why just not go the speed limit?
My point is: I personally don't believe Apple/Android car plays hold enough weight to be consider a deal-breaker. I just don't understand the obsession over it. I believe it makes the car look cheap.

I just want to point out: the Waze Navigation App you speak of only works on Android Car Play - it doesn't work on Apple (which forces you to use Apple Maps). So how do Apple users justify wanting Apple Car play? Clearly Apple Maps is not good compared to standard navigation. And other apps within the selection is purely useless while driving - unless you want to listen to an E-Book while driving.

Quick Reply: new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)