Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First the station wagon, then the SUV. What next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Not quite, the RX has an upright seating position like GX and Land Cruiser. I would prefer a wagon body shape and car-like seating with higher ground clearance.

It's also possible to go the other way and have an SUV/crossover body with low ground clearance, like a Lincoln MKT or Cayenne GTS. The MKT looks plain weird.
The RX ground clearance is pretty low. I highly doubt you will ever see a true ES wagon.
Old 05-19-18, 06:52 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In my opinion. The capitalistic system and our inability to bring it under control (#elite-corruption) will kill around 75% of the population in the coming 50 years. I presume it will be provoked by a war, but an ecologic meltdown or a social breakdown isn't far fetched too. What I'm trying to say is, that nobody will have money for a car in the coming future.
Old 05-19-18, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you downplay the effects of what a recession does. Demand for all almost all goods go down.
True, but remember, though, what I posted earlier....that even when gas prices go up or a recession hits, many people will do almost anything to keep driving as much as possible. Money spent on gasoline is often the last thing to be cut back, even at the expense of other priorities.

Old 05-19-18, 07:41 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
APM's.. Autonomous People Movers, turtlenecks not included

man, i can't wait to be able to ride around in one of these, holding hands with my robot wife that i can turn off or mute when i want some peace and quiet! looks sweet!
Old 05-19-18, 07:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....that even when gas prices go up or a recession hits, many people will do almost anything to keep driving as much as possible.
You have not been reading what I was posting. I said higher gas prices AND a major world event such as a recession or middle east conflict.

.many people will do almost anything to keep driving as much as possible.
You have proved what I have been saying. People will downsize at the time of a new purchase to a vehicle that is more fuel efficient and one that is cheaper to buy.
Old 05-19-18, 07:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Remember when it was fashionable to buy a house with leverage, in LA, Miami, etc., because it was like shooting fish in a barrel? I was too young and broke and just starting out, but old people (like the 30 y.o. waitress) would say how they have 2 investment properties and are getting a 3rd. A bus driver would have a real estate empire. Yet, some rich people were taking profits circa 2004-2006....this exodus imho is happening with cars. Common folk still blow tons of money on cars, but not necessarily the wealthy.

It would seem to me that rich people are less focused on cars today. Young rich milennials are less interested in cars. So to answer the OP, we might be driving 10 yrs. from now, but less than today. It's no longer a status symbol to have a car because anyone knows they can, and often are, leased. Seems to me that rich people like impressive residences today. You come up in that brand spanking new S550, at some point someone is going to ask you what the lease payment is. If you purchased, with cash, you just smile and nod.
Old 05-19-18, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You have not been reading what I was posting. I said higher gas prices AND a major world event such as a recession or middle east conflict.

You have proved what I have been saying. People will downsize at the time of a new purchase to a vehicle that is more fuel efficient and one that is cheaper to buy.

Unless you drive some very long distances each year, it's usually a lot cheaper to pay a few cents more for a gallon of gas (or if the price of electricity, to charge an electric or hybrid, goes up) than it is to spend thousands of dollars to downsize to a new vehicle, even sometimes when buying used instead of new.
Old 05-19-18, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I recently developed an interest in possibly getting a wagon as my next vehicle. I'd prefer an actual wagon vs. a wagon that's raised up with some cladding to make it look more like a CUV. Here in the U.S. the choices are limited but the BMW 330i Sports Wagon and Volvo V90 (non Cross Country) are of interest.
Old 05-19-18, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you drive some very long distances each year, it's usually a lot cheaper to pay a few cents more for a gallon of gas .
I had said at the time of purchase for those who need a new car. And gas going from $3 or $3.50 to $4 or $4.50 per gallon is not a “few” cents.

In some cases it does not makes sense to downsize if you already own the car or are making money payments. In some cases it does make sense.
Old 05-19-18, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The MKT looks plain weird.
Luckily the beautiful Aviator is waiting to take it's place
Old 05-19-18, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
In my opinion. The capitalistic system and our inability to bring it under control (#elite-corruption) will kill around 75% of the population in the coming 50 years. I presume it will be provoked by a war, but an ecologic meltdown or a social breakdown isn't far fetched too. What I'm trying to say is, that nobody will have money for a car in the coming future.
yes, well, on that happy thought... glad i enjoy what i drive today.

i think vehicles will, like they have always done, be more comfortable, functional, reliable, and efficient. a majority have clearly chosen easy ingress/egress and easy loading/unloading, espcially for larger stuff. that seems likely to continue, even with small vehicles.
Old 05-19-18, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I recently developed an interest in possibly getting a wagon as my next vehicle. I'd prefer an actual wagon vs. a wagon that's raised up with some cladding to make it look more like a CUV. Here in the U.S. the choices are limited but the BMW 330i Sports Wagon and Volvo V90 (non Cross Country) are of interest.

Also take a look at the Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon. It comes with standard AWD, but doesn't sit as high as what you find in the Outback and similar raised-wagons. I did a full-review of a Tour-X not long ago.
Old 05-19-18, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
man, i can't wait to be able to ride around in one of these, holding hands with my robot wife that i can turn off or mute when i want some peace and quiet! looks sweet!
Spit out my snapple. lmao! too funny
Old 05-19-18, 01:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Also take a look at the Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon. It comes with standard AWD, but doesn't sit as high as what you find in the Outback and similar raised-wagons. I did a full-review of a Tour-X not long ago.
Unfortunately, the Tour X has the dreaded lower cladding similar to the Outback, Allroad etc. The cladding isn't a total deal breaker but I do prefer a lower stance without the cladding.
Old 05-19-18, 05:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The actual fuel-economy numbers from EPA testing do support much of what I said. You can look them up for yourself, if you want, for specific vehicles.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/make.shtml
Your link only allows a personal search for vehicles by make; it does not prove what you are trying to argue.

Fuel economy of crossovers will always be lower than comparable cars, for the very reason that they are heavier, sit higher off the ground, and usually are quite upright and tall, presenting a larger face to the oncoming wind.

You must be careful to compare equivalent size-classified cars and crossovers. Comparing an Accord to a CR-V, a Camry to a RAV4, or an ES 350 to a NX 300 are not equivalent comparisons; the Accord, Camry and ES are mid-sized cars while the CR-V, RAV4 and NX are compact crossovers, and the passenger room in the crossovers (especially rear-seat hiproom and legroom) are less than the sedans. They look like equivalent comparisons because the crossovers are very heavy (some 300kg / 600lb) heavier than the equivalent compact cars Civic and Corolla that they are based off of.

If you compare the ES 350 to an equivalently-sized RX 350 FWD model, the RX is 300kg / 600lb (3 large adult men) heavier than the ES with about 10% greater fuel consumption.

I too would like to see an ES station wagon, that is about 100kg / 200lb more than the ES (like the difference between an Infiniti Q30 and QX30). I would prefer a straightforward station wagon without the pseudo-butch styling cues of black cladding and raised suspension but if such a model only comes with the de rigueur crossover / sport utility vehicle styling cues, so be it.

Quick Reply: First the station wagon, then the SUV. What next?