Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis changes its mind on retail plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 03:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Sorry, but as appealing as these new Genesis models may appear, I would not dare step foot on a Hyundai dealership only to be greeted by some sales kid who just sold a Hyundai Accent to a subprime barrower. Not to mention the poor service departments. Luxury buyers in this class expect a Lexus-like dealership experience or something more inline with the German dealerships, and they should get more if expected to part with $50K-$80K in coin.

Call me a snob if you will but most buyers in this class will agree.
You dropped the ball Genesis! Your cars will forever be linked to low cost family sedans as long as they share the same dealerships and salesmen. I guess the Hyundai dealership owners threatened lawsuits so they go their way.
Unless it's a new construction Lexus-like dealerships are stuck in early '00s at very best and at least 10 years behind proper German dealership. You can't find one contemporary Lexus dealer in south Florida from JM wholesale which is as bland as it can get to ****show of North Miami that is so cramped and stacked with thick dark brown lifeless wood cubicles and a random piano just thrown in there on the floor to "support" the lifestyle. Whole cream and wood theme that's been the standard in US for Lexus dealerships is so done in 2018, it's like ten years overdue if you ask me. They really need to do something about it. Take a look at Japanese Lexus showrooms to see how it should be in US as well.
Old 05-06-18, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah I don't go into the 'Monthly Sales' thread much lol. Doesn't matter though, Lexus, Benz, and BMW tend to trade months from time to time. As far as I'm concerned they are top three, whatever order doesn't matter much. Lexus slipped a few years ago. But they have had much success with the redesigned RX and refreshed NX. Even the ancient GX posts good numbers. As much as people hate on the Spindle, and as you're bolstering my argument with your post, sales are doing great for Lexus.
both MB and BMW have a bit of sales that end up being exported, Lexus has less of that since it has strict policy of not selling cars for export (i got my GS350 AWD 10 years ago from US but I had to jump through hoops). But MB is further ahead that they are still #1 in retail sales (registered cars) while BMW drops down to #3 when this is counted. It is not seen in sales threads, since they count everything, but Lexus GM mentioned it in sales call with analysts in January.

As to the Hyundai, I am sure they can succeed with Genesis... but it requires a lot of money going into dealers and product, and advertising for next 10 years before they can get to that 10k+ per month sales territory. Not sure if their shareholders will have patience since their results in US are bad.
Old 05-06-18, 09:24 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I have said repeatedly that Genesis is not going to succeed. IMO, they will only go as far as the Hyundai/KIA will go. If Hyundai and KIA cannot command Toyota or Honda type prices (and they are not) then no matter how hard Genesis tries, they will fail (no matter the solidness of the dashboard is) Lexus only succeeds IMO because Toyota is one of the top 10 brands in the world along side Apple, Microsoft, Coca-Cola and others.
Of course they're not going to succeed, not without products that are actually uniquely desirable over the competition regardless of price advantage.
Old 05-06-18, 11:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

good move by hyundai. trying to be 'exclusive' when sales are anemic (unless you're ferrari or rolls royce ) is not a winning path.

there will be time to get pickier when the genesis line-up expands, and if sales pick up then if hyundai does decide to get pickier, many dealers will be able to make the expansion because the sales will justify it... chicken and egg. times are COMPLETELY different from when lexus launched.
Old 05-06-18, 08:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts

No one thinks all those Engine recalls last year has anything to do with the current Slow sales of all Hyundai's Produces? I do.

Normally you go from the Sonata (ex.), to another, or up the Ladder to the Genesis........ But not if you are unhappy that your Previous Car, and Company had Major problems. And didn't try to resolve them for customers, and denied Warranty Claims in the Service Dept. Like Engines. Not the best for New or repeat Owner Loyalty. Even tho I think Hyundai now has it together.
Old 05-06-18, 08:57 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Unless it's a new construction Lexus-like dealerships are stuck in early '00s at very best and at least 10 years behind proper German dealership. You can't find one contemporary Lexus dealer in south Florida from JM wholesale which is as bland as it can get to ****show of North Miami that is so cramped and stacked with thick dark brown lifeless wood cubicles and a random piano just thrown in there on the floor to "support" the lifestyle. Whole cream and wood theme that's been the standard in US for Lexus dealerships is so done in 2018, it's like ten years overdue if you ask me. They really need to do something about it. Take a look at Japanese Lexus showrooms to see how it should be in US as well.
While I don’t disagree entirely, the design of the dealership is another conversation. I’m referring to the experience a potential buyer gets upon entering said dealership. The professionalism, the ambience, the key ingredients that sets it apart from your typical Chevy or Kia dealerships. While the current batch of Lexus dealerships are overdue for a redesign, the customer service experience still ranks among the top. I want Genesis to succeed but I cannot see this as anything but a cost cutting measure along with giving in to the threats of Hyundai dealership owners. Genesis should’ve opted for a direct-to-consumer model like Tesla and worked out the kinks later. Anything would’ve been preferable to showcasing a $50K G70 just several feet away from a Hyundai Elantra
Old 05-07-18, 08:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It's such a pet peeve of mine when people spell Alpha instead of Alfa and Infinity instead of Infiniti, the latter especially. Infiniti has been in the states for decades, there's no reason to be spelling it incorrectly.
Sorry, but with autocorrect on every electronic device, these spelling errors are not going away.
Old 05-07-18, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus has slipped somewhat but they are still overall pretty good. They are too big now (IMO) to give that 'personalized' experience like they once did now like they did when they first started. It's a great story though:

How a recall earned Lexus a top reputation

Source
And sadly today when you bring them a car with an issue, it gets returned to you "operating as normal" or the issue "cannot be replicated".

Lexus service in 2018 is a big blah IMHO.
Old 05-07-18, 08:00 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And sadly today when you bring them a car with an issue, it gets returned to you "operating as normal" or the issue "cannot be replicated".

Lexus service in 2018 is a big blah IMHO.
The only issue I personally had like that was rattling, but even then when I drove and had a tech ride along, I couldn't reproduce it myself! I was so mad but completely understood. I also had the usual squeaky brakes that you hear about with IS F Sport, and at first "yeah it's normal in cold weather." It got worse in spite of warm weather. So, I brought it in again - "Oh, that is obnoxious. We are going to take a look at your pads and rotors." Just because I got a different advisor. Seems like a crapshoot at my dealership anyway.

Seems at least Genesis is off on the right foot by not requiring me to drive to the Hyundai dealership for service.
Old 05-07-18, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Seems at least Genesis is off on the right foot by not requiring me to drive to the Hyundai dealership for service.
yup, this was a HUGE draw for me... never having to set foot in the dealer.
Old 05-07-18, 09:25 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

They want me to spend $50,000 in a Hyundai dealership? Isn't that were the proletariat go to slobber on new Hyundai cars? No thank you.
Old 05-08-18, 12:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
They want me to spend $50,000 in a Hyundai dealership? Isn't that were the proletariat go to slobber on new Hyundai cars? No thank you.
No, does anyone actually read the article? Hyundai corporate is still requiring Genesis dealers to establish their own separate facilities, they are just opening up the opportunity to do so to all existing Genesis selling Hyundai dealers. They had previous stated it would be limited to just 100 dealers.
Old 05-08-18, 05:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
wow, that's really not nice.
Old 05-08-18, 05:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, that's really not nice.
And not True either.

BTW: You've had The New Big Hyundai G about 1 whole month now. Is it still running?

Last edited by jgscott; 05-08-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
BTW: You've had The New Big Hyundai G about 1 whole month now. Is it still running?
Ha. 2 mos next week and just over 2k mi. Running great. Love it.

Quick Reply: Genesis changes its mind on retail plans