ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 09:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't believe how much this thread exploded in 12 hours and the big es reveal is still a couple of weeks away.

speaking of clocks, i was amazed that when i changed to daylight savings in the infotainment on my g90, the ANALOG clock hands smoothly rotated around 1 hour automatically.
LS does the same thing with the clock, pretty slick lol
Old 04-11-18, 09:48 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn. This thread literally exploded and went slightly off-topic. Hahahah.

I find that everyone made good points and it was a definitely an interesting read.

I'll agree with SW17LS for the most part. I get where hes coming from. Its not so much that he doesn't like FWD - its more of he doesn't want a FWD Camry/Avalon re-skinned car to be the the replacement for the GS. I don't want a Camry/Avalon re-skinned ES to be a GS replacement either. The Lexus ES is a great car and amazingly comfortable to drive. I personally like the Lexus ES and I think its a great car, however, I wouldn't want Lexus to pretend its a GS replacement when its not and I personally wouldn't buy one either because its a Camry/Avalon in a suit. The Lexus ES can stay where it is and do what it needs to do. But the Lexus GS needs to be a baby Lexus LS with a RWD set-up.

Secondly - I do, however, disagree with SW17LS for saying "real car enthusiasts" don't tend to like FWD cars. There are plenty of FWD cars that car enthusiasts love to drive and take on twisty roads. There are a number of fun-to-drive FWD hot-hatches that car enthusiasts love - the Civic Type R being one of them.
Old 04-11-18, 09:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

FWD has nothing to do with fuel economy.
There are packaging benefits with FWD I agree.
RWD with snow tires will have better traction then FWD and much easier and more predictable to control if there is an emergency maneuver necessary. Modern traction control systems work very well on RWD cars. I live in NY and have driven RWD cars since 2001 without any issue all year round.
One of the magazines did review between FWD vs RWD vs AWD in the snow on same tires and FWD had the worst results in driveability.
Yes it does, FWD cars are generally lighter because you can combine the powertrain into one main unit and there is less drivetrain loss in FWD vehicles, they can be made more compact, lighter, while still offering good room as everything is to drive the car is generally located at the very front. If FWD had nothing to do with better fuel economy there would be RWD economy cars and family sedans and automakers would offer more RWD cars. They got rid of many RWD cars in the 70's due to regulations and high gas prices.

With standard all season tires, FWD cars will offer better traction, not everyone wants to have a separate set of snow tires for their RWD car. Traction control systems are very good but it still does not take away the fact that FWD offers better traction then RWD when they have the same basic tires, in most cases FWD with a good set of all season tires will handle winter driving in the US well with no real issues, it will be more difficult with RWD with the same tires in some scenarios. I have driven RWD cars with good all seasons in the snow with no real problems too but they still did not offer the same traction, ease, lack of drama as FWD cars I have driven in the snow with all seasons.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...efficient.html

https://www.motorists.org/blog/pros-...l-wheel-drive/

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/artic...-best-for-you/
The following users liked this post:
BSoulMan (06-09-18)
Old 04-11-18, 09:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

Secondly - I do, however, disagree with SW17LS for saying "real car enthusiasts" don't tend to like FWD cars. There are plenty of FWD cars that car enthusiasts love to drive and take on twisty roads. There are a number of fun-to-drive FWD hot-hatches that car enthusiasts love - the Civic Type R being one of them.
Enthusiasts don’t like those cars because they are FWD though, they like them despite it.If they were RWD, they’d be better.
Old 04-11-18, 10:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Enthusiasts don’t like those cars because they are FWD though, they like them despite it.If they were RWD, they’d be better.
IMHO, also because those cars offer variations on the same architecture and so much choice. VW's GTI at various times has been sold in two door and four door. It can run ridiculous variations on hp up to 300. It's cousin, the A3 is a nicely styled sedan but it's also available in a sport back or hatch variation. Horsepower can range from 220 hp to 290 hp with a 0-60 time of 4.6 secs. For the limitations of the fwd platform, they may use awd to mitigate that or just balance out with limited slip differential.

As you've said, not the same class of buyers so the 2019 ES will likely stick to sedan and a hybrid drivetrain with a possible awd option. It's entry level luxury but certainly not a rwd or even a longitudinal drivetrain that mimicks rwd, like Audi does.
Old 04-11-18, 10:35 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Yes it does, FWD cars are generally lighter because you can combine the powertrain into one main unit and there is less drivetrain loss in FWD vehicles, they can be made more compact, lighter, while still offering good room as everything is to drive the car is generally located at the very front. If FWD had nothing to do with better fuel economy there would be RWD economy cars and family sedans and automakers would offer more RWD cars. They got rid of many RWD cars in the 70's due to regulations and high gas prices.

With standard all season tires, FWD cars will offer better traction, not everyone wants to have a separate set of snow tires for their RWD car. Traction control systems are very good but it still does not take away the fact that FWD offers better traction then RWD when they have the same basic tires, in most cases FWD with a good set of all season tires will handle winter driving in the US well with no real issues, it will be more difficult with RWD with the same tires in some scenarios. I have driven RWD cars with good all seasons in the snow with no real problems too but they still did not offer the same traction, ease, lack of drama as FWD cars I have driven in the snow with all seasons.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...efficient.html

https://www.motorists.org/blog/pros-...l-wheel-drive/

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/artic...-best-for-you/
Good write up. +1 for explaining the whole thing. When I replied to him, I did more of a simple explanation.

Enthusiasts do like FWD hot-hatches because they are good cars. Enthusiasts don't like a car because its solely RWD either. There plenty of RWD cars that enthusiasts wouldn't want to drive; Smart car being one of them. Enthusiasts tend like the car as a whole package.
Old 04-11-18, 10:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
IMHO, also because those cars offer variations on the same architecture and so much choice. VW's GTI at various times has been sold in two door and four door. It can run ridiculous variations on hp up to 300. It's cousin, the A3 is a nicely styled sedan but it's also available in a sport back or hatch variation. Horsepower can range from 220 hp to 290 hp with a 0-60 time of 4.6 secs. For the limitations of the fwd platform, they may use awd to mitigate that or just balance out with limited slip differential.

As you've said, not the same class of buyers so the 2019 ES will likely stick to sedan and a hybrid drivetrain with a possible awd option. It's entry level luxury but certainly not a rwd or even a longitudinal drivetrain that mimicks rwd, like Audi does.
I'll agree with you that some FWD hot-hatches does offer multiple variations and they can use the multiple different factors to help out the FWD format.

However, I'll have to disagree with you about the A3. The A3, while nice looking on the inside, its rather cheap on the inside. The A3, similar to the Lexus ES, its a re-skin. The A3 is basically a VW Golf in a suit. They both share the same VW transverse front-wheel drive platform.
Old 04-12-18, 02:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The fan rendering looks very close to all leaked photos and the test cars. I hope that's it, as it looks sensational! Very strong and linear shoulder line, broad sides, clean and uncluttered greenhouse, slim, purposeful headlights, artful grille, smooth and modern taillights, and sporty side mirrors. Overall, the car looks much more planted and sporty compared to all past ES's. Only thing I'm worried about is the omission of tailpipe tips.
Old 04-12-18, 04:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some of your comments are borderline baiting.

You come off as very arrogant and self centered.
‘Jill’ knock off the rude personal and also moderator comments from earlier posts. You are close to being booted from the thread.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-12-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

I find that everyone made good points and it was a definitely an interesting read.

I'll agree with SW17LS for the most part. I get where hes coming from. Its not so much that he doesn't like FWD - its more of he doesn't want a FWD Camry/Avalon re-skinned car to be the the replacement for the GS. I don't want a Camry/Avalon re-skinned ES to be a GS replacement either. The Lexus ES is a great car and amazingly comfortable to drive. I personally like the Lexus ES and I think its a great car, however, I wouldn't want Lexus to pretend its a GS replacement when its not and I personally wouldn't buy one either because its a Camry/Avalon in a suit. The Lexus ES can stay where it is and do what it needs to do. But the Lexus GS needs to be a baby Lexus LS with a RWD set-up.

From many years of experience, I generally agree with your view. One can be a car enthusiast, like me, and have no problem with FWD...in fact, in some ways, I prefer FWD, although, depending on the design of the front suspension and underpinnings, it can sometimes make front end work on suspension and brakes more complex by needing to realign the front wheels when the work is done. One needs to separate a general car enthusiast from a handling enthusiast.....yes, those who prefer more aggressive driving and canyon-carving will usually want RWD, though there are also some excellent FWD products in that category.
Old 04-12-18, 07:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Better is subjective to each individual buyer. RWD is not the end all for premium segments. The GS vs ES debate is getting lame, Almost anyone can see that the ES350 is a far better packaged vehicle than the GS. That being said, the GS perhaps maybe the better driving car, but most people want more than just the better driving car.
Very true. Not everyone is willing to pay a huge premium for a better driving car. It has to offer a lot more like much more power, more luxury, more space, just more. And the GS just doesnt offer much more of any of those for a $10k+ premium.
Old 04-12-18, 07:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Exactly. All one has to do is sit in a GS and sit in an ES and its immediately apparent that the GS is a better car with better materials, more solid build. The feel of the doors, all the switchgear, I could go on and on.

Just because something sells better doesn't mean it is better. Look at the terrible product we had in the Camry for years, literally the least appealing car in the segment in my opinion yet it sold the best. Like I said, people like mediocrity.

Its not about the ES vs the GS, its about making a case for why the GS still needs to exist. That mainstream, non enthusiast buyer will always be there for the ES. What we need to demand as enthusiasts and as people who understand why the GS is better is that Lexus continues to create cars that are designed for us as well, otherwise it really is time to relegate the brand to the level of Acura and move on to other companies who are working much harder to provide products that appeal to us.

The LS is such a car, for all the things I dislike about it, so I have hope they won't abandon the GS.

The ES is a fine car, but its comparable to a Buick LaCrosse, a Volvo S90, a Lincoln MKX, a Toyota Avalon. Its not a "real" luxury vehicle. Thats fine when Lexus has another car to compete against "real" entries like the 5 Series, E Class, A6, etc. No FWD ES, however nicely appointed can hold a candle to those cars because it its core its still a Camry. For Lexus to just abandon that segment which defines the luxury sedan in America would really be a shame.
I think the enthusiasm for the GS is only in this forum, somewhat. Demanding a car to exists that no one buys is pointless. Even an enthusiast like you didnt buy another one. Your current and last car was the LS right? I'm leasing a GS now and can't wait to get out of it. If the new ES looks anywhere as good as the rendering above, and have an AWD option, the GS is definitely not needed. The TNGA definitely has the goods to make the ES a good driving car, or at least a sports package model that stiffens the suspension.
Old 04-12-18, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Very true. Not everyone is willing to pay a huge premium for a better driving car. It has to offer a lot more like much more power, more luxury, more space, just more. And the GS just doesnt offer much more of any of those for a $10k+ premium.
The GS does offer a lot more luxury, the interior in the GS is a big step above the ES, and the driving experience is a lot more premium feeling and refined too.

I think the enthusiasm for the GS is only in this forum, somewhat. Demanding a car to exists that no one buys is pointless. Even an enthusiast like you didnt buy another one. Your current and last car was the LS right? I'm leasing a GS now and can't wait to get out of it. If the new ES looks anywhere as good as the rendering above, and have an AWD option, the GS is definitely not needed. The TNGA definitely has the goods to make the ES a good driving car, or at least a sports package model that stiffens the suspension.
I just don't agree. A transverse based ES will never be seen as a peer to the other cars in the segment, at its core it just isn't a peer, it would be an entirely different sort of car.

Remember there was a time when the GS did fine alongside the ES, and to say "nobody buys it" when in its best years it did 20k+ units, which was the goal they had set for the car in the US anyways.

Its important that Lexus have competitors in important segments if they want to continue to be considered a peer of the germans.

Look at it this way, look how small numbers some of these Audi and Jaguar models sell in, but hey, nobodys saying they should cancel their models
Old 04-12-18, 08:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

FWD can be engineered to have great performance - just look at the Civic Type R.
BMW FWD X1 and X2 have received rave reviews as well from many publications.

So is it possible to have a FWD perform better than RWD car - yes!

Again automakers have done this not for benefit of consumers but to save on costs.
Physics can't be altered and RWD will always be superior way to setup a platform.
Old 04-12-18, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Physics can't be altered and RWD will always be superior way to setup a platform.
Depends on the objective of each design. An ES is a better people mover than the GS is. Much better in space efficiency as well as other things such as maintenance and ownership costs.

Glad you can see things from both sides of the argument.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow