Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Tesla just months away from a total collapse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 08:09 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought I read a while ago that California (soon to succeeding from the Union) is considering banning all internal combustion engines(ICE) in the future. There is his market.
Old 04-13-18, 08:25 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Interesting... could you imagine a toyota tesla...? That would be cool... as it would be a shame to see all of what they have accomplished wasted or go away (doubtful). I guess it all depends on musk and how willing he would be to sell off his baby... I don't know if I see him selling the co until it's in anything other than dire straits - as it would be hard to swallow spending all that money for nothing... (all right, done with old band puns ;-).
I have said this before... I do not know anybody who would want to spend the billions of dollars (roughly equivalent to the market worth of General Motors) to buy Tesla right now. There are so little hard assets that a buyer would get from buying Tesla.
  • There is the plant that Toyota inherited from GM, and that Toyota sold to Tesla for a song. No established automaker needs another plant, especially in Silicon Valley.
  • There is the Gigafactory (but I don't know if Panasonic has any say in the sale of that). It produces batteries in a size that no other automaker uses.
  • There are the patents but Elon Musk already agreed to licence them for free.
Nobody is stupid enough to buy Tesla now. There may be interest when Tesla files for bankruptcy and somebody can buy the shares for pennies on the dollar but I don't know any automaker that is interested in the Tesla technology.
Old 04-13-18, 09:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Interesting... could you imagine a toyota tesla...? That would be cool... as it would be a shame to see all of what they have accomplished wasted or go away (doubtful). I guess it all depends on musk and how willing he would be to sell off his baby... I don't know if I see him selling the co until it's in anything other than dire straits - as it would be hard to swallow spending all that money for nothing... (all right, done with old band puns ;-).
Well, we've had a Toyota Tesla before in the RAV4 electric.

Old 04-13-18, 10:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah not sure why anyone would buy a model 3 over a chevy bolt.
Because you have to look at your car.
Old 04-13-18, 10:58 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
hahaha. Zing! its the prestige of Telsa that makes you buy it over a chevy.
Old 04-13-18, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
you're right. inside the 3 there's nothing to see.

Old 04-13-18, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, it's been a little while since I was in a car that plain-looking inside.

Old 04-13-18, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Right, same technology, I get it - but not the brand name - toyota buying the brand name and actually having a toyota tesla...
Why would Toyota buy the Tesla organization? They would just inherit all of that debt, overhead, and red ink from the company-owned dealer/service facilities. Previous company-owned franchises have never worked for any mass-market automaker, they (so far) haven't worked for Tesla, and they are not likely to work for Toyota if they are bought out.
Old 04-13-18, 12:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why would Toyota buy the Tesla organization? They would just inherit all of that debt, overhead, and red ink from the company-owned dealer/service facilities. Previous company-owned franchises have never worked for any mass-market automaker, they (so far) haven't worked for Tesla, and they are not likely to work for Toyota if they are bought out.
that's why a buyer would wait for bankruptcy first, to buy the assets, not the debt.
Old 04-13-18, 04:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Yes and I loathe the interior.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
If they could get the Gigafactory cheap then hell yea you do it. A forever supply of batteries.
Old 04-13-18, 04:50 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Most likely this one. Pretty lame how they faked the Tesla in space thing as well. There is no way that happened. Sure they shot a bottle rocket up & it would appear they landed the boosters. That's about the extent of their tricks.

Musk is a bald fraud.
Conspiracy theories are created by the aluminum foil companies to sell more hats.

Maybe people should sell their Tesla stock and buy Reynolds..?
Old 04-14-18, 02:17 PM
RXSF

Both the Ra4 and the Mercedes B Electric which used tesla components were/are failures because of the range mostly.
Old 04-22-18, 06:48 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Sell Tesla shares because BMW, Audi competition is coming: JP Morgan

• J.P. Morgan reaffirms its underweight rating on Tesla shares, citing the electric car pipelines from German luxury automakers.
  • "When similarly priced high-end long-range electric vehicles become available from prestigious brands with strong reputations for both service and build quality, we believe this could represent a meaningful headwind for Tesla," the firm's analyst writes.
Tesla's electric car sales will suffer due to increased competition from German automakers, according to J.P. Morgan.

The firm reaffirmed its underweight rating on Tesla shares, citing the electric car pipelines from Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi.

"Tesla has, to date, faced relatively little competition in the market for luxury electric vehicles, and so we think shoppers have been willing to cut the automaker some slack when it comes to some aspects of service and build quality," analyst Ryan Brinkman wrote in a note to clients Friday. "When similarly priced high-end long-range electric vehicles become available from prestigious brands with strong reputations for both service and build quality, we believe this could represent a meaningful headwind for Tesla."

Tesla's stock closed down 3.3 percent Friday.

The analyst said Daimler, the owner of Mercedes-Benz, has said it will launch 10 battery-powered electric vehicles by 2022. He also noted Audi's electric vehicle pipeline.

"We met with Audi, which appeared the most aggressive over the near-term, targeting the debut of a 310 mile range (95 kWh battery pack) 'e-tron' vehicle sized between a Q5 and a Q7, with an €80,000 price tag (nearly ~$100K)," he wrote. "These range, size, and price configurations seem designed to go toe-to-toe with the Tesla Model X."

Brinkman reaffirmed his $185 price target on Tesla shares, representing 38 percent downside from Thursday's close.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company is slated to report its first-quarter earnings results on May 2, according to its website.
Source

But the competition that J.P. Morgan is talking about is at least 2 or 3 years away. Anything could happen to Tesla -- or the established luxury automakers' plans for electric vehicles -- in that time.
Old 04-22-18, 07:32 PM
RXSF

Hate it when fund managers come out with this articles for their own gain.
Old 04-23-18, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like Kanye West may be trying to give the company some PR. I guess he talked Kim into letting him buy one LOL.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/23/kany...his-tesla.html

Rap superstar Kanye West praised his Tesla as the "funnest car" he's ever driven and thanked Elon Musk in a series of tweets on Monday.

"I really love my Tesla. I'm in the future. Thank you Elon," West said in one tweet.

He continued saying that he heard Tesla's electric vehicles were good for the environment, and went on to call the car the "funnest" he has ever driven.

West and Musk appear to have a growing friendship that started 3 years ago. Writing for Time in 2015, Musk praised the rapper.

"Kanye's belief in himself and his incredible tenacity — he performed his first single with his jaw wired shut — got him to where he is today. And he fought for his place in the cultural pantheon with a purpose," Musk said.

And earlier this year, the Tesla CEO said that West inspires him.

Musk will likely be hoping for all the support he can get given the spate of bad news Tesla has recently faced, including a probe into workplace safety. Shares of Tesla are down nearly 7 percent since the start of the year.

Quick Reply: Is Tesla just months away from a total collapse?