Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Corolla Hatchback revealed! (USA/Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 06:02 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No Android auto? Come on Toyota!
Old 03-23-18, 06:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Will there be a JDM-specific Corolla model, like there has been in the past? The JDM-specific Corolla was smaller and narrower than the international Corolla (and this one would be the international model).
Old 03-24-18, 02:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is a dazzling design! The front is cleaned up nicely compared to the strange Camry and Avalon, and the rear lighting is clean, yet sinister. This is a body shape Honda should be doing, instead of offering us half-sedans/half hatchbacks. In fact, I can see the aftermarket really catering to this model in the same way mid-90's Civic hatches got attention.

Some nitpicks: Dash is a bit plain. It would have been more cohesive and fulfilled if they connected the lower dash to the upper dash. As it sits now, there is a lot of empty space right where pertinent buttons and info could have been.
Tailpipe tips are a joke. If they are going to be that small and pinched, may as well hide them all-together.
When the press release goes out of their way to say the shift paddles are located "behind the steering wheel," isn't that where all shift paddles are located? Maybe I misread it.

Good for Toyota! This should sell very well for the young commuter who wants some progressive style with reliability, at an affordable price.
Old 03-24-18, 04:23 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is a dazzling design! The front is cleaned up nicely compared to the strange Camry and Avalon, and the rear lighting is clean, yet sinister. This is a body shape Honda should be doing, instead of offering us half-sedans/half hatchbacks. In fact, I can see the aftermarket really catering to this model in the same way mid-90's Civic hatches got attention.

Some nitpicks: Dash is a bit plain. It would have been more cohesive and fulfilled if they connected the lower dash to the upper dash. As it sits now, there is a lot of empty space right where pertinent buttons and info could have been.
Tailpipe tips are a joke. If they are going to be that small and pinched, may as well hide them all-together.
When the press release goes out of their way to say the shift paddles are located "behind the steering wheel," isn't that where all shift paddles are located? Maybe I misread it.

Good for Toyota! This should sell very well for the young commuter who wants some progressive style with reliability, at an affordable price.
This is a work of Toyota Europe and if Toyota is smart they would adopt these guys to do all of the international models. Look carefully how sheet metal tension lines flow with logic and lead you to something. Also pay attention to placement of handles that avoids profile tension line. And then take a look at Lexus UX and how big of a mess it is compared to hatchback Corolla.
Old 03-24-18, 01:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Will the upcoming Corolla sedan have the same front?
Old 03-24-18, 02:05 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty ****.
Old 03-25-18, 06:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks good! No surprise it shares the same wheelbase as the UX/CH-R.
Old 03-25-18, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Looks good! No surprise it shares the same wheelbase as the UX/CH-R.
I didn’t see that. Thanks for letting us all know.
Old 03-25-18, 07:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Will there be a JDM-specific Corolla model, like there has been in the past? The JDM-specific Corolla was smaller and narrower than the international Corolla (and this one would be the international model).
there already do, and I think it is based off different platform (Yaris?) and made specifically for 60+ people.
Old 03-25-18, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there already do, and I think it is based off different platform (Yaris?) and made specifically for 60+ people.
Is the JDM Corolla really that much smaller. The Corolla iM is JDM and the back seat is smaller than either of our two cars. But the front is the same size
Old 03-25-18, 07:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
This is a work of Toyota Europe and if Toyota is smart they would adopt these guys to do all of the international models. Look carefully how sheet metal tension lines flow with logic and lead you to something. Also pay attention to placement of handles that avoids profile tension line. And then take a look at Lexus UX and how big of a mess it is compared to hatchback Corolla.
ED2's studio Simon Humphries is now head of design for all of Toyota/Lexus, he was a lead on LC but also Camry and ED2 did C-HR too.
Old 03-25-18, 09:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Here are more pics:
http://www.autospies.com/news/NYIAS-FIRST-Real-life-Pictures-Of-The-All-new-Toyota-Corolla-Hatching-In-The-Flatiron-District95902/

Old 03-26-18, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I like the blue one, please tell me it comes with a stick. then again, they are saying the '19 3 Series may not have a clutch available, so maybe it won't. I would say this looks way better than the new Camry, so good job!
Old 03-26-18, 06:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I like the blue one, please tell me it comes with a stick. then again, they are saying the '19 3 Series may not have a clutch available, so maybe it won't. I would say this looks way better than the new Camry, so good job!
From the original post:

Be they a commuter or canyon cruiser, drivers will appreciate Corolla Hatchback's available transmissions: an all-new Dynamic-Shift CVT (K120), or a six-speed iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) gearbox (EG60). The Dynamic-Shift CVT has simulated 10-speed Sequential Shiftmatic steps, Sport Mode, and paddle shifters. It features a number of innovative elements, including the world's first launch gear in a passenger vehicle CVT.
Score one for those of us who like a manual transmission.
Old 03-26-18, 07:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
From the original post:

Score one for those of us who like a manual transmission.
I googled iMT, and saw the most beautiful two words...."clutch pedal"

Can I hug you?

Quick Reply: 2019 Corolla Hatchback revealed! (USA/Canada)