Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Quick Check-Out/Test-Drive...2018 Honda Accord 6-speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 08:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, Honda lists it with the specs. Sorry....perhaps I should have mentioned that.
That feature, BTW, contrary to popular opinion, is nothing new in the auto industry. Subaru used it for a number of years, and it actually dates back to Studebakers built during the early 1950s.

I did not notice one on my sample car, even in the Eco driving-mode.

Clutch gets a 9 out of 10. Most manual clutches today, wth the hydraulic-assist operation, dampen out the vibrations and shudder that once characterized them, and make it more difficult to stall the engine while letting them out. I'd probably give it a 10 out of 10 except that the pedal itself (with the sport-aluminum trim on it) is offset just a little to the right for my left leg.

The shift-linkage itself gets a 7 out of 10....not as precise, more notchy, and longer shift-throws than on previous FWD Honda manuals.

One thing I'd like to see on manuals is a physical confirmation of what gear you are in before you let out the clutch....that would prevent errors and mis-shifts. Ferrari, of course, solves that problem by using a gated pattern for the lever, and another method would be a light on the dash showing what gear you are in, similar to the sport-mode on automatics. But comparably few vehicles with manual transmissions do this.

It's nice to get a gift-card or other incentive for a test-drive, I'll admit. Several manufacturers do it each year at the D.C. auto show..and (presumably) at other shows as well. But a true auto enthusiast will not do it just for the money or incentives, but out of sheer love of cars....or as a (possible) future purchase himself/herself.
It would be interesting if the fit/finish is clearly better than the latest Maxima or Murano, both of which I rented, and they were not very good. Obviously it would be as simple as sitting inside.

I can't remember if it was always that way (things are less noticeable if you drive it day in/day out), but at least once I got the BMW, the clutch was a weak point imho on the Maxima. It has a lot of effort to depress, and isn't very linear if that's the right word. Feels very springy. But besides driving a stick, I like how manuals are pretty much indestructible and require zero maintenance unless you want to just replace the gear oil every decade. The only time the 335's hill holder was disengaged was when the ABS failed, it was so sweet. That is one of the worst features because there's a few ms where it grabs upon every takeoff....aaaaargh. Maxima has ABS but not the hill holder, never needed it.....

Sounds like this car has a decent clutch...
Old 03-16-18, 08:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

One problem with the new 2018 Accord is that, because of the way it has recently shrunk in size
The 2018 Accord has NOT shrunk in size, it has grown in size. The 2018 Accord may be shorter than the 2017 Accord (by 1 inch), but the wheelbase is longer (by 2 inches), and combined interior and cargo space has grown to full-size (from mid-size) status.

Perhaps that is one reason that it is not selling -- it may be more car than shoppers are looking for.
Old 03-16-18, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2018 Accord has NOT shrunk in size, it has grown in size. The 2018 Accord may be shorter than the 2017 Accord (by 1 inch), but the wheelbase is longer (by 2 inches), and combined interior and cargo space has grown to full-size (from mid-size) status.

Perhaps that is one reason that it is not selling -- it may be more car than shoppers are looking for.

Yes, that's what I was referring to....length, where it has shrunk an inch. The EPA does not determine vehicle-size by length.....they go by interior volume. I don't necessarily agree with the way EPA that (IMO, it oversimplifies things)...but, of course, they are the government, and they make those decisions.
Old 03-16-18, 04:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the biggest thing going on here is the fact that someone took the time to drive and review a stick-shift sedan! Good work Mike! You are a true car guy all around!
Old 03-16-18, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think the biggest thing going on here is the fact that someone took the time to drive and review a stick-shift sedan! Good work Mike! You are a true car guy all around!
Thanks, Fizzboy. I don't believe that anyone in the potential auto-buying market, no matter how small a percentage, should be ignored.
Old 03-16-18, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzboy7
i think the biggest thing going on here is the fact that someone took the time to drive and review a stick-shift sedan! Good work mike! You are a true car guy all around!
👍👍👍👍👍👍......