Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 08:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Senior management changed at Ford and that signalled what was going to happen down to the brands. Ford/Lincoln is now a SUV/CUV company because that's what customers demand. Car companies used to be happy to stick to iconic brand names in the past, but that's not the reality today. You can have a profitable company like Ford, but if the only profit comes from pickup trucks and crossovers, there is very little you can do about sedans. The Continental was not worth a RWD platform gamble so it's going away. You just head over to Nautilus and Navigator if you want luxe in this class.
There is the light-truck factor (CUVs and SUVs) also. If it is easier to sell trucks, and truck sales are increasing while sedan sales are decreasing, it is easy (especially in light of the threat to cancel the Fusion) to see what will get green-lighted and what will likely get cancelled.

I personally believe that cancelling sedans such as the Fusion and the Continental is not the right approach but I have never been a sales or marketing person.
Old 03-15-18, 08:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is the light-truck factor (CUVs and SUVs) also. If it is easier to sell trucks, and truck sales are increasing while sedan sales are decreasing, it is easy (especially in light of the threat to cancel the Fusion) to see what will get green-lighted and what will likely get cancelled.

I personally believe that cancelling sedans such as the Fusion and the Continental is not the right approach but I have never been a sales or marketing person.
Given the way CEOs and accountants look at the world these days, it's not surprising to see a company like Ford sell out its history and heritage. The Fusion was a mish mash of world cars anyways, but they could have done something with the Continental. Corporate share-holder driven politics isn't that different from Washington politics. One day it's this, the next it's that, because Wall Street or product planners demand it.

The Continental could have been an all in or just don't bother decision. The new CEO says he wants to sell trucks and SUVs.
Old 03-15-18, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Senior management changed at Ford and that signalled what was going to happen down to the brands. Ford/Lincoln is now a SUV/CUV company because that's what customers demand. Car companies used to be happy to stick to iconic brand names in the past, but that's not the reality today. You can have a profitable company like Ford, but if the only profit comes from pickup trucks and crossovers, there is very little you can do about sedans. The Continental was not worth a RWD platform gamble so it's going away. You just head over to Nautilus and Navigator if you want luxe in this class.
That's the very gist of it. Today's drivers simply aren't like they were in my day...or when I learned to drive. Back then, a car was a freedom machine, an extension of one's self. Traffic, of course, was also a lot lighter, and the roads were also in a lot better shape physically, so driving was not the chore it has become today. Today, the majority of the public sees to care little for driving or actually enjoying their time behind the wheel. Vehicles are just rolling extensions of their homes.....for shopping, to cart the kids around in, to chat on the cell-phones and text in (illegal or not), to entertain the kids with video-devices, and basically as utile-mobiles and appliances. The fun and freedom of driving itself has essentially disappeared.
Old 03-15-18, 09:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the very gist of it. Today's drivers simply aren't like they were in my day...or when I learned to drive. Back then, a car was a freedom machine, an extension of one's self. Traffic, of course, was also a lot lighter, and the roads were also in a lot better shape physically, so driving was not the chore it has become today. Today, the majority of the public sees to care little for driving or actually enjoying their time behind the wheel. Vehicles are just rolling extensions of their homes.....for shopping, to cart the kids around in, to chat on the cell-phones and text in (illegal or not), to entertain the kids with video-devices, and basically as utile-mobiles and appliances. The fun and freedom of driving itself has essentially disappeared.
Mike,
I'm not sure that today's crossovers are that much different than the big luxury sedans you (and I) remember so fondly. The Navigator may not look like a Town Car, but it is big, roomy, soft riding, quiet, and pretty fast. The interior is even more luxurious than the high point of the Town Car. The new Enclave is also the Electra (or Roadmaster) of old. The new sedans get smaller, stiffer riding, and less comfortable for the sake of "younger and sportier". With the market moving from the sedans to these crossovers, maybe us old guys are winning anyway.
Old 03-16-18, 06:35 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Lincoln is going to have to step it up in the looks department, imo MD and Audi are killing it on looks.
Old 03-16-18, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman60
Lincoln is going to have to step it up in the looks department, imo MD and Audi are killing it on looks.
What's MD? Do you mean MB.....Mercedes-Benz?
Old 03-16-18, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I sat in a Continental again a couple weeks ago when I drove the Navigator. Its just not a car that stands out in any way, the looks are kinda awkward, it looks FWD, the interior is okay but not incredible "its great for a Lincoln". Driving experience also doesn't stand out, it feels largely like what it is, a nicer Ford Taurus. I think its a victim of the weakness of sedans in general, and I would guess 80% of Continental sales are to fleets, which was confirmed by the salesman I spoke to.

Now, I will say I think Lincoln learned from the Continental and the Navigator is impressive in many areas where the Continental is not. Interior impresses in many areas, ride and drive is surprising and impressive compared to the truck's size.

My hope for Lincoln comes from the Navigator, not the Continental.

No way I would buy a Continental over a Genesis G90 or Cadillac CT6.
Old 03-16-18, 12:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

screwed over again by the bean counters.

They put a flagship on a stretched Fusion platform, and it doesn't look premium.

You go cheap, you pay twice+. Ford should have put the conti on one of their RWD platforms.
Old 03-24-18, 06:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe they shouldn't sell a 40k or sub version... dilutes the image?
This is my vote. Give people a strong reason to buy the thing.
Old 03-24-18, 01:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Likely price themselves out of the market....
Old 03-24-18, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Originally Posted by coolsaber
Likely price themselves out of the market....
Lincoln is on pace to sell 6000 units for 2018. This new Continental has been a disaster .
Old 03-24-18, 05:12 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

What Ford really needed to do is what they did with the Navigator. Put a completely different dash in the vehicle instead of one that looks like a stretched Fusion. If you sit in the Navigator it looks nothing like the Expedition. You should get the same feeling when sitting in the Continental- it shouldn't feel like a Fusion/Taurus.
Old 03-24-18, 05:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well if they want to keep the name around, maybe they'll go back to the future and add the suicide doors on a future version. Or so the rumor mill now says according to two car mags.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-24-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well if they want to keep it around for a couple of more years, maybe they'll go back to the future and add the suicide doors. Or so the rumor mill now says according to one car mag.
Forward-opening rear doors do make it somewhat easier to get into and out of the rear seat, by allowing one's feet and legs more room to swing without tightening up....a boon for older people with arthritis and bad backs. And, of course, as many Contis are chauffeur-driven, people often are in the car seat. Suicide doors were once risky if opened when the car is in motion, but that danger has been largely mitigated on modern cars by the automatic-door-locking when the car is placed in gear.

They also, IMO, need to junk those quirky E-buttons for the inside door releases....especially up front, where the driver may have to get in and out regularly and open the rear doors as a courtesy.
Old 03-24-18, 05:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Forward-opening rear doors do make it somewhat easier to get into and out of the rear seat, by allowing one's feet and legs more room to swing without tightening up....a boon for older people with arthritis and bad backs. And, of course, as many Contis are chauffeur-driven, people often are in the car seat. Suicide doors were once risky if opened when the car is in motion, but that danger has been largely mitigated on modern cars by the automatic-door-locking when the car is placed in gear.

They also, IMO, need to junk those quirky E-buttons for the inside door releases....especially up front, where the driver may have to get in and out regularly and open the rear doors as a courtesy.
Yeah, it really does help passengers. It sounds like the Continental will just be a chauffer limo then if they do this. Motor1 and Carnews say it's happening according to a confidential dealer/Ford meeting.

Quick Reply: No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental