Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO what the Accord needs is a normally-aspirated V6....what it used to have. But everyone is bending to the CAFE rules nowadays.
Not Toyota and the Camry.
Old 03-12-18, 07:55 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Has anyone driven one? How does the ride compare to the Civic Touring?
Old 03-12-18, 07:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Yes, Toyota and Honda absolutely can demand more money compared to Hyundai or Chevrolet. Both Honda and Toyota however are not infallible.

Price will drop a bit too.
Lol, or perhaps it's your opinions that are not infallible, no?

Last edited by MattyG; 03-12-18 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 08:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol, or perhaps it's your opinions that are not infallible, no?
It's not my opinion that Toyota and Honda can command more for most of their products . It's a fact.
Old 03-12-18, 08:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It's not my opinion that Toyota and Honda can command more for most of their products . It's a fact.
I think that "most" is a weasel word to talk about a brand vs a thread discussion that centers completely on one of the best selling sedans in the Honda line. Here you are presented with the fact that the Accord is having some trouble at its present pricing levels and the company may have to start discounting, as well as the fact that the Camry is also doing some incredibly cheap leasing deals.
Old 03-12-18, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think that "most" is a weasel word to talk about a brand vs a thread discussion that centers completely on one of the best selling sedans in the Honda line. Here you are presented with the fact that the Accord is having some trouble at its present pricing levels and the company may have to start discounting, as well as the fact that the Camry is also doing some incredibly cheap leasing deals.
Never used the words discounting. I said adjust the price of the Accord and remove some content. Also, I never mentioned the Camry and cheap leasing. Not once.

As as for your weasel comment, it's a bit rude. Not called for. Go read my previous posts, I have mentioned in the past that Toyota cannot command higher prices for their Tundra, Sequoia, and many of their Lexus sedans compared to the competition.
Old 03-12-18, 08:24 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunate as it's truly an excellent car and a massive improvement over its predecessor.

I can't think of a single thing wrong with the product itself. Honda really hit a home run with this car. But at the end of the day it comes down to dollars and cents. The Accord is a bit pricier than some competitors, and it's own sales are likely being eaten up by the excellent CR-V. The new Civic is also an excellent car and is a decent size, whereas the Accord may be too big now.

Last edited by BrownPride; 03-12-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 09:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Never used the words discounting. I said adjust the price of the Accord and remove some content. Also, I never mentioned the Camry and cheap leasing. Not once.

As as for your weasel comment, it's a bit rude. Not called for. Go read my previous posts, I have mentioned in the past that Toyota cannot command higher prices for their Tundra, Sequoia, and many of their Lexus sedans compared to the competition.
What's the difference between "discounting" and "adjust"? The Camry lease rate was mentioned as a reference to what another poster says he has seen in his local market, so it has nothing to do with you, why would you insert that into this answer? It's still a thread about the Accord, so not understanding why Tundras, Sequuoia are in the discussion other than as a general brand discussion about Toyota - which clearly this discussion is not about.
Old 03-12-18, 09:12 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

a lowered Crosstour
Old 03-12-18, 09:22 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have driven the new Accord with the 2.0 Turbo and the new 10 speed auto. It is a massive improvement over the last generation Accord. My wife drives a V-6 Accord coupe and the new turbo engine is smoother and faster. If the headline said "Honda is having trouble moving the new C-RV" I would be surprised. The fact that sales of a family mid-sized sedan are down should not be a surprise to anyone. The US buying public has decided that a CR-V is a better family mover than an Accord. They have also decided (based on sales) that an RX is a better entry level luxury vehicle than an ES. As an RX350 owner I guess I'm also guilty. My decision was based on pre-surgery back issues, but my 2016 RX350 has proven comfortable, roomy, and totally reliable. Now that my back is fixed, my next car will likely be a Genesis G90 or K900. My wife will likely change her beloved Honda for a Stinger.
Old 03-12-18, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm pretty certain the Accord has always cost more than it's competitors. So, the slower sales cannot be because of price. The author answered the problem in the first sentence by describing the car as a "fastback." As I've said for twenty plus years, Americans do not like fastback and hatchbacks. The dumpy-butt, whale styling is simply ugly to many.
Old 03-13-18, 12:18 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Civic, Corolla, and Camry likely to follow. Just a trend, towards more CUVs. As long as automakers adapt they’ll be good. Who knows maybe a better looking Accord Crosstour will rejoin the lineup.
Old 03-13-18, 04:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and yet camry sales were up 21% in Jan 2018? I see tons of the new camrys around, ive only seen one new accord
Old 03-13-18, 05:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and yet camry sales were up 21% in Jan 2018? I see tons of the new camrys around, ive only seen one new accord
Yup the new Camry looks way better than the new Accord imo but I'm not a fan of 4 door hatch sedans. The turbo only option on Accord is a turn off for some people too.
Old 03-13-18, 05:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

What's the difference between "discounting" and "adjust"? The Camry lease rate was mentioned as a reference to what another poster says he has seen in his local market, so it has nothing to do with you, why would you insert that into this answer? It's still a thread about the Accord, so not understanding why Tundras, Sequuoia are in the discussion other than as a general brand discussion about Toyota - which clearly this discussion is not about.
But those other companies cars are actually cheaper and still have trouble moving units. So not sure what is your point exactly, did you check prices for Fusion, Sonata, etc? And their big drops in sales leaving analysts wondering if there will be another Fusion at all?

It is also likely that Accords problems are bigger than just base model lease deal... People might not like 1.5t and the cvt, that would be my first guess.

Quick Reply: Honda struggles to move the once-hugely-popular Accord