Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Le Fil Rouge concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hyundai Le Fil Rouge concept

At this year's Geneva Motor Show, Hyundai revealed a concept called the Le Fil Rouge, which in English means "the common thread." Though the car has an unusual name, it's important for the Hyundai brand because this car represents the future of the company's design. Elements found on this concept will be applied to all future Hyundais, be they sedans, hatchbacks or crossovers, which also partly explains the car's name. Hyundai says the name also comes from how the car builds on Hyundai's past design and is a "reinterpretation" of its 1974 Coupe Concept.

We're not so sure about that last part, but we think the Le Fil Rouge is a mighty handsome sedan, and its future production cars should look pretty good. Aside from a "common thread" of design, Hyundai says the car's theme is "sensuous sportiness." That seems to translate into a low-slung, curvy, coupe-like sedan form. At the front, the nose is very low, and it's dominated by a massive version of Hyundai's corporate "cascade" grille. It's actually a bit reminiscent of the recent Lagonda sedan. It appears that the grille contains lighting elements all throughout. It should be easy to translate this design into conventional radiator grilles, huge lights, or simple, blocked off styling motifs for electric vehicles.

This low, wide grille leads into a long hood and front fenders with classic rear drive proportions. The hood has two large creases in the middle that lend some aggression to the swoopy shape, and there are two bright metal accent lines that run up the sides and loop up and around the windows back toward the hood. Along the side, we find a bold character line that lines up with the end of the headlight. It trails back along the car and merges with the rear panel that would likely contain the taillights. The roof also has a bit of a fastback look, ending at the trunk lid. It also contains a rear window with a double-bubble shape. It's an elegant, organic car that does some cool things with lines and curves. It will be interesting to see how it translates to production cars.
Source and Photos
Old 03-07-18, 02:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

the hyundai ferrari
Old 03-07-18, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Except for the one-piece side-windows, reminds me of the old Subaru SVX.
Old 03-07-18, 02:54 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the hyundai ferrari
More like the Hyundai Panamera. It is a 4 door. My first thought when I saw this was: "why didn't Lexus do this with the LS500" if they were going after sporty?
Old 03-07-18, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

the hyundai ferrari
That's what I immediately thought

Old 03-07-18, 06:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

At this year's Geneva Motor Show, Hyundai revealed a concept called the Le Fil Rouge, which in English means "the common thread" "the red wire"
Corrected.
Old 03-07-18, 07:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
More like the Hyundai Panamera. It is a 4 door. My first thought when I saw this was: "why didn't Lexus do this with the LS500" if they were going after sporty?
Haha, that would have been amazing but it's not realistic since this is just a concept which may never even see a test mule. The LS 500 got its final design approval way back in roughly 2014 (Carmaker1 has some good posts on this), and they are already working on a refresh to debut in about two years. This is just a show piece that's probably been in the styling studios for a couple of years and shown here to gauge interest. Looks great but I don't like the big dental prosthesis on the front or those silly cuts on the hood.

Originally Posted by Sulu
At this year's Geneva Motor Show, Hyundai revealed a concept called the Le Fil Rouge, which in English means "the common thread" "the red wire"
Yes and no. If you do a nuts and bolts translation that's what it can mean, but it can also mean a reference to a common theme or main theme in the context of literature, music and art. In this case, a reference to Hyundai's past and the future. Just like some people say blues and jazz music; that can mean a number of things to many people in different locales.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-07-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 07:29 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

the hyundai ferrari
I see more Lucid and BMW I8, but I do see the Ferrari resemblance. 😎
Old 03-07-18, 10:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clueless designers.