Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls 21,700 Camry, Lexus models on fire risk

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 04:49 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Toyota recalls 21,700 Camry, Lexus models on fire risk

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...s-on-fire-risk

Toyota recalls 21,700 Camry, Lexus models on fire risk

February 15, 2018 @ 11:48 am

Shares

Toyota Motor North America is recalling 21,700 vehicles in the U.S. after discovering two defects that could lead to fires.

The separate recalls affect 11,800 2018 Toyota Camry sedans and 9,900 Lexus vehicles including, RC F vehicles from 2015-18 model years, GS F vehicles from 2016-18 model years, and 2018 LC 500 vehicles, the company said Wednesday.

The Toyota Camrys could have fuel pipes and fuel hoses in the engine compartment that were connected improperly, which could lead to a fuel odor or leakage and possibly result in a fire, Toyota said in a notice.

Owners of the affected Camrys will be notified by mail starting in late March, the company said. Toyota dealerships will check the fuel lines in the recalled vehicles and properly connect them, if needed.

In the recalled Lexus vehicles, which come with two high-pressure fuel pumps, the cover of one of the pumps could potentially "become damaged over time," and result in a fuel leak that could increase the risk of a fire, Toyota said.

Starting in early April, owners of the recalled Lexus vehicles will be notified by mail, Toyota said. Lexus dealers will replace both high-pressure pumps with updated ones.

A Toyota spokesperson declined to comment on whether the company is aware of any injuries or crashes are related to the recall, citing company policy.

Contact Automotive News

Old 02-16-18, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Owners of the affected Camrys will be notified by mail starting in late March, the company said. Toyota dealerships will check the fuel lines in the recalled vehicles and properly connect them, if needed.

Starting in early April, owners of the recalled Lexus vehicles will be notified by mail, Toyota said. Lexus dealers will replace both high-pressure pumps with updated ones.

A Toyota spokesperson declined to comment on whether the company is aware of any injuries or crashes are related to the recall, citing company policy.

Nope.....that won't cut it. I don't care what automaker we're talking about.....IMO, waiting one or two months to inspect something that could clearly cause a fire is simply unacceptable, especially since it only involves a little over 20,000 vehicles and the vast number of Toyota dealerships throughout North America where it can be done. There are fewer Lexus dealerships, of course, but also fewer involved Lexus vehicles. But, anyhow, IMO, like it or not, that is something that needs to be looked at now.

And, yes, Toyotas do occasionally catch fire. Several years ago, one of my neighbors just managed to get out of a not-so-old Tundra that suddenly caught fire on the D.C. Beltway for no apparent reason.....he got out with minor burns, and nothing serious. And an ex-co-worker of mine, likewise, got out of a burning Camry just in time, though that was the result of an accident, and not necessarily the manufacturer's fault. (she got an Audi A6 to replace it, because she felt a lot safer in it).

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 07:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are the fuel pumps located on the gas tank or closer to the engine?
Old 02-16-18, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
On the affected Camrys, the physical location of the fuel pump probably makes little difference if the lines and hoses next to the hot engine itself aren't secured properly.

BTW, mods....weren't we supposed to have a special thread set aside in Car Chat specifically for recalls and nothing else....or was that discontinued?
Old 02-16-18, 08:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Nope.....that won't cut it. I don't care what automaker we're talking about.....IMO, waiting one or two months to inspect something that could clearly cause a fire is simply unacceptable, especially since it only involves a little over 20,000 vehicles and the vast number of Toyota dealerships throughout North America where it can be done. There are fewer Lexus dealerships, of course, but also fewer involved Lexus vehicles. But, anyhow, IMO, like it or not, that is something that needs to be looked at now.

And, yes, Toyotas do occasionally catch fire. Several years ago, one of my neighbors just managed to get out of a not-so-old Tundra that suddenly caught fire on the D.C. Beltway for no apparent reason.....he got out with minor burns, and nothing serious. And an ex-co-worker of mine, likewise, got out of a burning Camry just in time, though that was the result of an accident, and not necessarily the manufacturer's fault. (she got an Audi A6 to replace it, because she felt a lot safer in it).
It is a NTSA recall or a voluntary recall? Does not mean it will cause a fire. Just that it could increase. I think you are overthinking it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-16-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

On the affected Camrys, the physical location of the fuel pump probably makes little difference if the lines and hoses next to the hot engine itself aren't secured properly.

BTW, mods....weren't we supposed to have a special thread set aside in Car Chat specifically for recalls and nothing else....or was that discontinued?
I did those 'official recall threads' for a few years. Usually made a new one once a year. We could make another, but individual ones are fine as it can spur more discussion, especially when it pertains to Lexus which is what this website (not necessarily Car Chat) specializes in.
Old 02-23-18, 10:02 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
engine by injectors for the LC, RC, GS
Old 02-23-18, 11:00 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
engine by injectors for the LC, RC, GS
Additional info ^^^....these models have two pumps. A pump in the tank feeding a volume of fuel to the high pressure pump mounted on the engines cylinder head.
Tank pumps are low pressure 35 - 60 psi.
Direct Injections (DI) >1,600 psi.
Old 06-26-18, 05:28 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ire-risk.shtml

Lexus Recalls IS 350, GS 350 and GS 450h For Fire Risk

About 115,000 Lexus vehicles in the U.S need new fuel delivery pipes to prevent fuel leaks.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com
Posted in Recalls

June 26, 2018 — Lexus is recalling about 115,000 IS and GS vehicles in the U.S. to repair potential problems with leaking fuel and fires.

The automaker says the recalled vehicles include the 2006-2013 Lexus IS 350, 2010-2014 Lexus IS 350C, 2007-2011 Lexus GS 350 and Lexus GS 450h.

The vehicles are equipped with 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engines with diaphragm material in the fuel pulsation dampers that may harden over time and crack. This will cause gas to leak and any gas near an ignition source can cause a fire.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) hasn't released details about the recall, but Lexus says dealers will install new fuel delivery pipes that contain improved pulsation dampers.

Customers should watch for mailed notices in August 2018, but with questions owners should call 800-255-3987.CarComplaints.com will update this page when NHTSA publishes details about the Lexus recall.

Read complaints from owners of the Lexus IS 350, Lexus GS 350 and Lexus GS 450h.

Old 06-26-18, 05:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Read complaints from owners of the Lexus IS 350, Lexus GS 350 and Lexus GS 450h.
Nice...

Anyway, I figure this would affect other models with the 2GR-FSE?
Old 06-26-18, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nice...

Anyway, I figure this would affect other models with the 2GR-FSE?

Yes, that was my first reaction, too....why only IS and GS models? Several other Toyota and Lexus vehicles use the same engine and fuel-system.
Old 06-27-18, 06:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, that was my first reaction, too....why only IS and GS models? Several other Toyota and Lexus vehicles use the same engine and fuel-system.
In the US, I can't think of another model (Toyota or Lexus) that uses the 2GR-FSE other than the IS and the GS. I read of some minor changes to the 2GR-FSE when the 2014 IS came out and I'm guessing they changed the part on the new engines at that time, and that's why we are not seeing the newer models being recalled.
Old 06-27-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
In the US, I can't think of another model (Toyota or Lexus) that uses the 2GR-FSE other than the IS and the GS. I read of some minor changes to the 2GR-FSE when the 2014 IS came out and I'm guessing they changed the part on the new engines at that time, and that's why we are not seeing the newer models being recalled.

Perhaps so.....you may be right. I was referring to the ubiquotous Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 in general....which has a home in many different vehicles.
Old 06-27-18, 07:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Perhaps so.....you may be right. I was referring to the ubiquotous Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 in general....which has a home in many different vehicles.
The other version of the 3.5 V6 used by Toyota during those years (2GR-FE) had a very different fuel injection system (no direct injection) so a fuel pump issue for the DI system would not have been applicable to that engine. I believe that's why we only see the recall for the IS and GS. It's all about the fuel delivery system specific to the version of the V6 used in those two models.
Old 06-27-18, 07:39 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The other version of the 3.5 V6 used by Toyota during those years (2GR-FE) had a very different fuel injection system (no direct injection) so a fuel pump issue for the DI system would not have been applicable to that engine. I believe that's why we only see the recall for the IS and GS. It's all about the fuel delivery system specific to the version of the V6 used in those two models.
Right, I was mostly thinking of the newer IS and GS models with the engine, and the RC 350. But yeah, seems that if they updated the fuel delivery system, it's possible the newer variants of the engine wouldn't have the problem.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls 21,700 Camry, Lexus models on fire risk