Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GS spied? Or maybe ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 03:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
From my amateur translation (from what I remember from my high school French) and confirmed by Google Translate, the article claims that the car was caught in the Waterloo, Belgium battlefields, that it is the replacement for the GS in Europe, and that the replacement is the ES.

Scoops / The replacement for the surprise Lexus GS in Waterloo

One of our readers has surprised the Lexus ES still camouflaged. This sedan will replace the GS from 2020. It will use the new Toyota platform and should logically be hybrid.

In Waterloo, a camouflaged Lexus wandered the roads of the Battle of 1815 where one of our readers was able to photograph it. This mullet is most certainly that of the ES being developed for the European market. This sedan will replace the GS in the range of Toyota's luxury brand specializing in hybrid solutions. It is based on Toyota's new TNGA architecture. In addition, she could use an 8-speed automatic transmission. Finally, unlike the GS, the ES is a traction.

There is a role for the ES, in my opinion, and it has no real competition (unless you count the Ford/Lincoln MKZ but that is an easily forgotten vehicle). Its role is as an entry-level premium sedan and good (and affordable) step up from the Camry (and similar mid-sized sedans).

It is for those buyers who have worked hard for many years and want to reward themselves with a luxury-branded car but do want to spend too much, do not want something too ostentatious (namely, the German luxury brands) nor sporty, and/or do not want a RWD sedan (speaking from experience, RWD is for enthusiasts who really know how to drive and control their vehicles, especially on slippery roads).
Old 02-11-18, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
From my amateur translation (from what I remember from my high school French) and confirmed by Google Translate, the article claims that the car was caught in the Waterloo, Belgium battlefields, that it is the replacement for the GS in Europe, and that the replacement is the ES at certain price points.

There is a role for the ES, in my opinion, and it has no real competition (unless you count the Ford/Lincoln MKZ but that is an easily forgotten vehicle). Its role is as an entry-level premium sedan and good (and affordable) step up from the Camry (and similar mid-sized sedans).

It is for those buyers who have worked hard for many years and want to reward themselves with a luxury-branded car but do want to spend too much, do not want something too ostentatious (namely, the German luxury brands) nor sporty, and/or do not want a RWD sedan (speaking from experience, RWD is for enthusiasts who really know how to drive and control their vehicles, especially on slippery roads).
I think the ES has a few more competitors than just Lincoln. The Buick LaCrosse as well as Toyota’s own Avalon both compete with it.
Old 02-11-18, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The CarScoops render was of a 7ES.
oh lmao. yeah now that I see the sides. The wheels and brakes made me think GS, because I think it was photoshopped from a GS F since those look like the stock wheels. Good catch.
Old 02-11-18, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I think the ES has a few more competitors than just Lincoln. The Buick LaCrosse as well as Toyota’s own Avalon both compete with it.
Among the luxury brands, the ES has no competition.

The Buick (I do not consider to be a luxury brand, despite what mmarshall may think) LaCrosse is invisible here. Is the current generation LaCrosse still available for sale in Canada?

The Avalon is restricted in Canada. We do not get the full choice of trims (no Hybrid model available, for example) that the Americans get. And, of course, Toyota is not a luxury brand.
Old 02-11-18, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

i've said before i think a new GS should be audacious and amazing and not for everone - the 4 door coupe / fastback being a good idea. i could see a future es and gs SHARING a platform, with the es being like a mercedes e class / a6, and the gs being like a mercedes cls / a7.
Old 02-11-18, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
(I do not consider to be a luxury brand, despite what mmarshall may think)
Try quoting me correctly. I never said it was a full-luxury brand (definitely not a Tier-1). It IS, however, a borderline-luxury brand overall, and the Lacrosse, IMO, is more comfortable to drive than equivalent Cadillac sedans. I looked at a CT6 (in fact, did a whole review on one) before I ordered my Lacrosse.....wasn't that impressed with the CT6 at all, and definitely not impressed wth the ATS.

Among the luxury brands, the ES has no competition.
I can't (and won't) comment on Canadian versions where you are, but, here in the U.S., the ES has plenty of competition.
Old 02-11-18, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Try quoting me correctly. I never said it was a full-luxury brand (definitely not a Tier-1). It IS, however, a borderline-luxury brand overall, and the Lacrosse,
I think I would put Buick in the luxury category. I do consider Toyota Avalon, Buick LaCrosse, KIA Candenza and the Lincoln MKZ as competitors within one another. Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES absolutely compete with one another as they are both from the same brand parent, perhaps the ES main competition is from the Avalon. They even come form the same factory. Kinda like how a Tahoe and a Yukon would absolutely be cross shopped.

Something to ponder, a loaded LaCrosse AWD with adaptive suspension and Loaded MKZ can compare well, how does the ES all of a sudden compare to these two models? It does not in fact.

Old 02-11-18, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I wouldn't consider Buick a luxury car company at all. Its a premium car, think Mercury...
Old 02-11-18, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think I would put Buick in the luxury category. I do consider Toyota Avalon, Buick LaCrosse, KIA Candenza and the Lincoln MKZ as competitors within one another. Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES absolutely compete with one another as they are both from the same brand parent, perhaps the ES main competition is from the Avalon.

Agreed. I was simply addressing the (previous) comment about full-luxury-vs. entry-level, or borderline luxury. The Lacrosse, at least with 18" wheels, has luxury-grade road manners (so, for the first time in decades, does the Chevy Impala, for that matter)....but at least in the lower-trim versions, the Lacrosse lacks some full-luxury features as real wood, leather, and soft-padded surfaces throughout the interior. It also restricts a number of electronic safety devices to the top-level Essence and premier versions. And even the Avenir lacks the wood steering wheel that the Enclave Avenir gets.

I'm not unaware of the Lacrosse's shortcomings.....that's my aim to catch things, as a reviewer. But I was more attracted to the car by what it DID offer than by what it didn't.

Something to ponder, a loaded LaCrosse AWD with adaptive suspension and Loaded MKZ can compare well, how does the ES all of a sudden compare to these two models? It does not in fact.
The main advantage of the ES (and I'll be the first to admit it) is its class-leading build-quality....though some of the interior parts and door-closings are a little on the chintzy side, and it doesn't offer AWD like the Lacrosse, MKZ, and Genesis G80. The MKZ is a good general competitor, but, IMO, falls down mainly from its loose-build feel and lack of a normally-aspirated V6 option (however, the ones at the D.C. auto show seemed well-built.....perhaps they were especially-tweaked for the show). The Lacrosse, IMO, wins out on road-manners, but the quirky shifter, non-disabling engine start/stop, and cheap-looking steering wheel/stalks subtract some points from it.

BTW......if I had to choose any of these cars on just interior alone, I'd take the G80, hands-down. The Lexus has the most reliable drivetrain and overall build quality, but virtually everything inside the G80 looks and feels like it was painstakingly screwed-together by little Elves in the Black Forest LOL.
Old 02-11-18, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't consider Buick a luxury car company at all. Its a premium car, think Mercury...
Buick probably wound up getting some of Mercury's former customers when Ford axed that division....just as they did when Olds folded (probably not so much from Pontiac, as that was, in general, a different type of buyer).

I think, at least as far as cars are concerned, that when we use terms such as "upmarket", "upscale", "premium", "deluxe", and even "borderline-luxury", it's all a matter of semantics......re-arranging letters or words to all say (more or less) the same thing. That's why I didn't agree with at least part of Sulu's comment.
Old 02-11-18, 09:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Let’s not make this another Buick thread please No need to respond, let’s just get back to the original topic
Old 02-11-18, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.. I looked at a CT6 (in fact, did a whole review on one) before I ordered my Lacrosse.....wasn't that impressed with the CT6 at all, and definitely not impressed wth the ATS.
i know you looked at or test drove an xts years ago and didn't care for it, but i've read that its been improved quite a bit since then and i believe it should have been the cadillac you compared with the lacrosse.

Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES absolutely compete with one another
i disagree.
Old 02-12-18, 06:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES absolutely compete with one another.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree.
I also disagree, but I did cross shop them. It didn't take more than a few seconds for me to realize that the Avalon was outclassed by the ES. Looking at the new Avalon, it appears they are fine being where they are. Let's hope the new ES steps it up a bit and doesn't stay content. An AWD version would be a step in the right direction.
Old 02-12-18, 06:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The CarScoops render was of a 7ES.

Looks too LS-ish.
Old 02-12-18, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It looking LS-ish would be intentional.