Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes files trademarks for new naming scheme

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes files trademarks for new naming scheme

Remember Audi announced a new scheme a few months ago for markets outside the US..

"You see, you can tell the difference between a regular Mercedes and an AMG model because the Benz has three numbers with a zero on the end, while the AMG has only two numbers and no zero."

That simple equation has made it easy to help people tell regular Benzes apart from their amped up brethren (and from the fake AMG-badged poseurs running around). Alas, it looks like that might be coming to an end. AutoGuide has spotted that Mercedes has trademarked a new naming convention in Canada and other markets.

Essentially, regular-series Mercedes will continue to end in a zero, but there will only be two numbers. AMG will also have two numbers, but those will all end in "3." Applications include A 40, CLA 40, SLC 40, SLC 50 and GLE 50 in Canada, along with CLA 53, G73 and S73. Yes, "73," which would be the new range-topper, probably with AMG's new performance hybrid powertrain.

It's important to keep two things in mind. First, Mercedes models are now specified as -Benz, -AMG and -Maybach, meaning you'd be looking at a Mercedes-Benz CLA 40 and Mercedes-AMG CLA 53, for instance. And second, having three numbers no longer serves a purpose since those numbers no longer correspond with engine output in any way.

There's no such evidence of a similar application made in the United States, but if this is the way of the Benz future, it's hard to imagine Mercedes doing something different here (although Audi is doing just that).
Source
Old 02-03-18, 05:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have an issue with it. I actually have gotten used to the way Infiniti and now Lexus names there cars. It will be fine
Old 02-03-18, 12:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

ugh....dislike
Old 02-05-18, 10:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This doesn't really have anything to do with the Audi naming convention that is being introduced in other markets. AMG's have always had 2 digits. The only change is that AMG is now being applied in multiple tiers, rather than just one halo-topping model (Mercedes is also not alone in this endeavor either),
Old 02-05-18, 01:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
ugh....dislike
change is hard.
Old 02-06-18, 11:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pbm317
This doesn't really have anything to do with the Audi naming convention that is being introduced in other markets. AMG's have always had 2 digits. The only change is that AMG is now being applied in multiple tiers, rather than just one halo-topping model (Mercedes is also not alone in this endeavor either),
I agree, but doesn't the '3' at the end kinda mean AMG with the new scheme?
Old 02-06-18, 01:18 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I agree, but doesn't the '3' at the end kinda mean AMG with the new scheme?
Ah, made me go back and re-read the initial article... so the bigger change is that Non AMGs are also moving to a 2-digit structure, with 0 at the ends. I didn't quite catch that, thought it was just talking about the various _3's on the AMG side.

I feel like losing the "hundred" in the naming would be a bit odd. Guess they save on badging It might be okay with the classes that have multiple letters. CLA, GLA, GLE, but for the core sedans, C, E, S, the truncated naming would put it closer to what Infiniti used to have. G20/G35/Q45, etc. One letter for the model and then engine designation with 2 digits. I would go back and say that I would not be in favor of the truncated numbering.
Old 02-06-18, 02:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

not sure why they used '3' to denote amg, why not '5' (mid way) or lucky '7'? or just '1' (subtle)? or max '9' ?
Old 02-06-18, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why they used '3' to denote amg, why not '5' (mid way) or lucky '7'? or just '1' (subtle)? or max '9' ?
Just a wild guess (opinion, not necessarily fact), but the Mercedes logo has traditionally been a three-pointed star in a circle. The "3" could (?) refer to AMGs being the ultimate expression of the Mercedes three-point star....certainly some of the most expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 04:53 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For luxury car and SUV buyers, some more car shopping confusion and for sales consultants, more Benz-splainin. Not surprising, though. Engine displacements are not going to match up to alphabet soup model and performance lines now anyway. Now maybe well see more of the 48 volt models come out in the future with a .48V moniker on the end of the badge.

"Hey, I just bought a new Benz E40.48V - how cool is that?" "Oh yeah? I got a E43.48V4Matic with extra snob appeal." "Darn".

Seriously though, it's part of the market planning types who cook up this stuff. BMW has done this: 3s were sedans, 4s were coupes... but wait there's a four door coupe that's not really a sedan because it's a hatchback - so that becomes a 4xxx "Gran Coupe". Marvelous.
Old 02-06-18, 11:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Seriously though, it's part of the market planning types who cook up this stuff. BMW has done this: 3s were sedans, 4s were coupes... but wait there's a four door coupe that's not really a sedan because it's a hatchback - so that becomes a 4xxx "Gran Coupe". Marvelous.
THIS!!! Its all a scheme to make your existing Benz feel old and inferior to the new model. Name it something slightly different so that everybody knows you are superior and have the "new" model Benz. Then in another 3-4 years completely revamp your naming scheme again to make it seem like you have all new models but are really selling the same damn thing. Renaming the ML SUV to GLE and GL to GLS is a prime example of this nonsense. Just keep repeating this cycle over and over again.
Old 02-07-18, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
THIS!!! Its all a scheme to make your existing Benz feel old and inferior to the new model. Name it something slightly different so that everybody knows you are superior and have the "new" model Benz. Then in another 3-4 years completely revamp your naming scheme again to make it seem like you have all new models but are really selling the same damn thing. Renaming the ML SUV to GLE and GL to GLS is a prime example of this nonsense. Just keep repeating this cycle over and over again.
Sort of agree. Never understood why they changed the ML naming.