Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How a Car's Suspension Works

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 05:50 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default How a Car's Suspension Works

Just thought I'd share my short video on the basics of automotive suspension systems. Using my Corolla as an example, I tore down each component and explained the difference between the two most popular types, double wishbone and MacPherson strut front suspension:

Skip toward the end to watch the under-car footage of the suspension in action, or you can view the short video clip here:
View this post on Instagram

Starting with my rusty Corolla, stripped down to its unibody, subframe and front suspension:
How a Car's Suspension Works-tfgam3x.jpg

This is the sub-frame, where it bolts underneath the uni-body. It ties both sides of the suspension together.
How a Car's Suspension Works-ifivewv.jpg

The Corolla uses a MacPherson Strut front suspension:
How a Car's Suspension Works-kmpygvb.jpg

It consists of a coil over strut mounted to the body that rotates with the steering knuckle and the wheel. At the bottom is the lower ball joint and control arm, which attach to the sub frame:
Here's my diagram showing the difference between MacPherson and Double wishbone:
How a Car's Suspension Works-gc5nj4a.jpg

I disassembled the front suspension to get a closer look at the components. I dropped out the subframe with the struts and wheels:
How a Car's Suspension Works-mx1ppxo.jpg
And was left with this:
How a Car's Suspension Works-snxutta.jpg

This is the lower control arm. It pivots on two bushings (the ride and handling bushing) where it attaches to the subframe:

How a Car's Suspension Works-7eamd0e.jpg

And this is the steering knuckle. It links the bearing, spindle, lower ball joint, strut and brakes together:

How a Car's Suspension Works-rzcr97b.jpg

Here's what a double wishbone suspension looks like on my Lexus GS350. The main advantage of the double wishbone is it maintains a flat tire contact patch with the road while turning or navigating a bump:

How a Car's Suspension Works-jkefjn1.jpg

However, the main disadvantage of the double wishbone is that its more complex and wears out much faster. That's because the lower ball joint is loaded, i.e. it takes the weight of the vehicle, where as in a MacPherson strut suspension, the lower ball joint is merely a follower.

Take a look at my free body diagram to see how the forces from the wheel are translated to the body to support the weight of the vehicle:

How a Car's Suspension Works-brq95y5.jpg

Enjoy!
Old 01-31-18, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

These posts you do are very interesting. Do you know all this stuff you film or are you learning it as you go. ?
Old 02-02-18, 07:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

More pix to add to this:

Multi-link rear suspension on my 02 ES300.

Mcpherson Strut Suspension out front.
Old 02-02-18, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
More pix to add to this:

Multi-link rear suspension on my 02 ES300.

Mcpherson Strut Suspension out front.
Looks more or less typical of most of today's non-sports sedans: The front gets vented/slotted rotors, and the rears don't.

Though it's not a huge difference (and part of it may also be the higher-profile tires), the suspension on your vintage 4Gen ES rides noticeably smoother than on the current 6Gen.
Old 02-02-18, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hah you're running out of things to talk about in your 'How it works' thread series! Not much left on this rolla. It will be interesting to see what's left
Old 02-02-18, 10:13 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks more or less typical of most of today's non-sports sedans: The front gets vented/slotted rotors, and the rears don't.

Though it's not a huge difference (and part of it may also be the higher-profile tires), the suspension on your vintage 4Gen ES rides noticeably smoother than on the current 6Gen.
Those rotors are aftermarket. They were cheaper than OEM, and an upgrade.