Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(Briefly) checked out the new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Yup, saw it in person, took it off my list, for that exact reason.
You can add the new Enclave to the crappy interior list too.

Below is a review of the new Regal.. Its not the Tour X but close I guess?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/str...icle-1.3715617

A fatal flaw

Though Buick isn't a traditional luxury marque, it aims to compete with premium models. Cars in this segment are known for offering elegant interiors fashioned with high-quality materials.

The Buick doesn't quite measure up to its peers in this respect. Its cabin design is certainly attractive, but it's not quite as aspirational as the cabins offered by certain luxury rivals. And with an interior that features a few hard plastics, the Regal also trails its rivals when it comes to the quality of the materials used throughout its cabin
Old 01-19-18, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you read the whole review, though, it's certainly very positive.

I found just one really significant flaw in the one I looked at.....I just can't sit in an overly-narrow seat with firm side-bolsters.
Old 01-19-18, 06:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you read the whole review, though, it's certainly very positive.

I found just one really significant flaw in the one I looked at.....I just can't sit in an overly-narrow seat with firm side-bolsters.
You are right, it is positive. However, the review claims the flaw is not just a flaw... Its a fatal flaw.
Old 01-19-18, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, saw it in person, took it off my list, for that exact reason.
Motor Trend review:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick...-drive-review/

We appreciate the new button-free infotainment system, but generally the Regal’s cabin seems a little sterile now. Hard plastics mix with shiny woodlike accents, glossy aluminum trim, and an outdated-looking instrument cluster, hindering the car’s premium ambitions. Bottom line: there’s nothing really special about the cabin that makes buyers feel they are in for a treat when they sit in the front seat.
Old 01-19-18, 07:21 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should go check one out at the dealership down the street. I wont get one now, but maybe in 3-4 years.
I like that an American company is actually building a wagon.
Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
I agree. I will say, despite the shortcomings I have read, I really do think the new Regal TourX will well.
Old 01-19-18, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Motor Trend review:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick...-drive-review/

We appreciate the new button-free infotainment system, but generally the Regal’s cabin seems a little sterile now. Hard plastics mix with shiny woodlike accents, glossy aluminum trim, and an outdated-looking instrument cluster, hindering the car’s premium ambitions. Bottom line: there’s nothing really special about the cabin that makes buyers feel they are in for a treat when they sit in the front seat.
I'll agree that the grayish wood-tone trim is not very impressive (I mentioned that in my own write-up). Those plastics inside may be hard but they are durable. I know, from having simliar ones, for over five years, in my Verano. I don't agree with MT's view of the so-called "outdated" instrument cluster....they are nice, simple, round, easy-to-read gauges (IMO, those never go out of date), though the way that the numbers were done on the speedometer (American MPH version) could have been a little better.
Old 01-19-18, 08:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Big fail on the fenders.

Black plastic cladding around the wheelwells, and along the rocker panels and lower bumpers has become the de rigueur styling cue for crossover and sport utility vehicles. Without it, a car-based crossover utility vehicle is merely a wagon or a hatchback.

That said, I thought the point of this post -- the failure of the fenders -- is the extra tab at the top of the black plastic fender cladding. It suggests to me that the cladding / fender is merely temporary shipping protection that is to be (peeled off and) removed before use.
Old 01-19-18, 08:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I should go check one out at the dealership down the street. I wont get one now, but maybe in 3-4 years.
Semantics... But it is NOT an American company building this wagon. It is an American company selling this wagon.

This car was designed by a German company (Opel) and now built by a French company (since GM's European subsidiary Opel has been bought by the French automaker Peugeot).
Old 01-19-18, 08:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Black plastic cladding around the wheelwells, and along the rocker panels and lower bumpers has become the de rigueur styling cue for crossover and sport utility vehicles. Without it, a car-based crossover utility vehicle is merely a wagon or a hatchback.

That said, I thought the point of this post -- the failure of the fenders -- is the extra tab at the top of the black plastic fender cladding. It suggests to me that the cladding / fender is merely temporary shipping protection that is to be (peeled off and) removed before use.
You have some good eyes there Sulu...Interesting interpretation of why there is black cladding.
Old 01-19-18, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You have some good eyes there Sulu...Interesting interpretation of why there is black cladding.
I'm not sure I agree. If that were the case, then why would it be displayed at auto shows with the cladding? They're not going to show off a new car to the public in its shipping-wrap.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 08:47 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

In USA, all TourX wagons will come with black cladding

in Europe, no cladding
Attached Thumbnails (Briefly) checked out the new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon-86d849ef-ec17-40fb-b633-2314966e3acf.jpeg  
Old 01-19-18, 08:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The black fender flares on a low, sleek Buick station wagon is absolutely laughable. There's simply no reason for it and it totally clashes with the rest of the body, which is going for an elegant look. At least with Audi, you can get them body-colored. Nearly every single Allroad ordered by Audi dealerships here in L.A. comes with the body-colored option, proving customers agree with us here- the black trim looks like garbage. I've always said, and I'll say it again: SUV's should look like SUV's. Sedans should look like sedans. Trucks should look like trucks. Station wagons should look like station wagons. Are we that desperate as a society to re-invent auto bodies just for the sake of helping automakers have the next new thing? I won't give in.

Overall, I find this to be a pleasant design by Buick. The dash and interior appear modern and stylish (it doesn't need to be inspirational or standout to be considered a successful design), and the body has smooth, elegant lines (except for those fenders). The sad part is this will sell very poorly and the announcement of its discontinuance will come in a few years, making it yet another failed GM vehicle and another waste of money that could have gone somewhere more important. I rather see Buick focus its dollars on what it's really known for today- luxury sedans and/or premium SUV's.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-19-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 08:51 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
this will sell very poorly and the announcement of its discontinuance will come in a few years, .
as a wagon owner since 87 in the USA, agree 100%
Old 01-19-18, 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

as a wagon owner since 87 in the USA, agree 100%
Are you being serious?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I agree. If that were the case, then why would it be displayed at auto shows with the cladding? They're not going to show off a new car to the public in its shipping-wrap.

I checked, it is indeed the cladding.

Quick Reply: (Briefly) checked out the new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon