Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5th Gen GS, any news yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 06:51 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
If there is a new GS. What is the one change/upgrade you want on it?

Me: Add a Turbo engine option.
I'd like for the F Sport to actually have a bit more performance and hp as opposed to just aesthetics, and a painted calipers option!
Old 01-11-18, 06:55 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

3.0T would be a great option!
Old 01-11-18, 07:03 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I was surprised by this topic and the future because there is some very plausible info available at Toyota itself. Toyota is working with the TNGA strategy for future models (Toyota New Global Architecture), this is already the case in the lower C-Segment where theTNGA platform is already in use for CT200h, Auris, Auris TS, Corolla, Prius and the C-HR. A similar move will be done with the D-Segment containing the Avalon and highlander but also the Camry. Camry and ES already shared platform so chances are extremely likely that in the future the new lets call it GS will share it's platform with the camry and will merge with the ES, I'm not hoping on getting RWD anymore I think it will be FWD or AWD HOWEVER keep the spirit alive, Toyota itself says the TNGA platform can host both FWD AWD and RWD setups! I'm also convinced the bigger engines will be gone for the Europe region.
You will be able to get these engines
3.5 V6 301 hp
2.5 4IL 203 hp running OTTO cycle
2.5 4IL hsd 176 hp running ATKINSON cycle

I don't expect a 3.0 turbo engine ... maybe a 2.0 turbo will be available as it already is installed in the NX and IS 200t this 2.0 turbo will give you 241 hp maybe the most interesting engine of the line-up as it will be cheaper and has quit some tuning potential due to the fact that it is turbo charged. Getting it to get the same numbers as the 3.5 V6 is not unlikely when doing some mods. In europe the 300h and 200t models will be very very succesfull.

I'm not expecting them to continue with the 3.5 v6 hsd to be honest as emission requirements will force the brand to move away from these engines. The CVT on the HSD models might also be gone and replaced by the Direct Shift 8AT, manual gearboxes are gone for good :-)

Why not buy the camry as it is bassicly the same car or isn't it?
No it isn't, the car will have another more classy look and feel, isolation will be better on the lexus, used materials will be better, you will have the Mark Levinson stuff where the Toyota will get as an option the JBL system (both Mark Levinson and JBL are part of the Haman group now owned by Samsung ), bigger GPS (camry has a 7 inch and i expect the new Lexus, however it is called EX GS GESX or G-SEX will have like an 11 inch or so), Toyota gets the CD player where Lexus will get the DVD, Toyota will only have a central dimming mirror the Lexus also side mirrors, and probably differently tuned suspension, kind of the same as you can see on the CT200h vs the Auris ... so yes there will be enough to justify the extra 10 or 15 K spend.

If you look at the 2018 camry movie you will notice that a lot of placements in the new camry are kind of at Lexus locations the central screen looks very Lexus like (se and above versions)

The new model will have quit a few new things that will be nice to have:
- selfparking
- birthcamera
- advanced safety sense
- more apps
- use mobile phone to lock, unlock, find car etc
- no more map updates -> cloud based maps !!!
- hopefully parts will be cheaper as they are shared with Toyota

more info on TNGA
http://pressroom.toyota.com/tnga/

more info here
http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/tnga/

Deeper technical info from the end of 2016 very interesting info on the future and the gearbox / efficiency
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016...61206-tmc.html

Last edited by HaerdenC; 01-11-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 08:34 AM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
A big blower sticking out of the hood!
LOL! Nice!
Old 01-11-18, 09:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
3.0T would be a great option!
Why not the 3.5t from the LS500? I would like them to bring a affordable V8 engine back, dump the hybrid nobody buys and the weak 4 cyl.
Old 01-11-18, 09:18 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Why not the 3.5t from the LS500? I would like them to bring a affordable V8 engine back, dump the hybrid nobody buys and the weak 4 cyl.
Agree'd... Lexus lacks in power vs all their competition.
Old 01-11-18, 12:27 PM
screen
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

GS200t already in existence.
Old 01-11-18, 12:43 PM
cwells68
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Agree'd... Lexus lacks in power vs all their competition.
I totally agree.

That was why I was a big Infiniti fan before now.

They always seem to stuff more HP in their cars.

I just REALLY liked (OK, loved!) the newer GS.

Just a little more oomph....
Old 01-11-18, 09:13 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Lexus has all but announced that there will be no GS in the future. Sales are low and sedan sales in general are going down. At the Detroit show, Lexus will show a concept crossover based on the GA-L architecture. The ES will be upgraded to fill the slot of the missing GS.
Old 01-11-18, 09:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lexus has all but announced that there will be no GS in the future. Sales are low and sedan sales in general are going down. At the Detroit show, Lexus will show a concept crossover based on the GA-L architecture. The ES will be upgraded to fill the slot of the missing GS.
They can't just give up on a car in a extremely important segment in the luxury market, the GS still sells better then the LS, LC, RC and they are not getting rid of those vehicles, hope they aren't. There is no way they are just going to sell a upgraded ES as a 5 series or E class competitor.
Old 01-11-18, 10:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by screen
GS200t already in existence.
It’s called the GS300 now starting MY2018
Old 01-12-18, 01:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A regular who posts here, already confirmed with inside Lexus info, there will be another GS. It should happen. This is too hot of a segment to walk away from. The E Class sells very well, and the A6 moves too. Lexus can as well.
I'd like to see the body fill out the lower wheel-wells a lot better. As the current model is, too much leading and trailing edge of the tire is exposed, make the car look thin and flimsy along the bottom. A sporty car should spread out around the ground, as if it's becoming one with the road.
Old 01-12-18, 02:56 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I expect this one to be dragged out for 8-9 years. It's not a good seller, so it's not worth the R&D money.
Old 01-12-18, 03:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Now at least there are alternatives for RWD sport sedans that are not German - Genesis G80 Sport and Kia Stinger.

I think at this point it would be hard for the GS to compete with the full lineups of the MB Eclass, BMW 5SERIES and Audi A6/S6. The assortment of engines and options that those cars offer will be impossible for Lexus to match.
Old 01-12-18, 09:19 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

As long as there is a new Toyota Crown platform in Japan, they would be stupid to get rid of the GS, or merge it with the ES. getting rid of RWD platform and going FWD/AWD would be stepping down to Acura's level.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen GS, any news yet?