Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 09:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-10-18, 09:54 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(eye catching part: $26,985 MSRP $35,995)

fine print though...

first, the MSRP for the 4 cyl stinger is $31,900.
second, because it's lease pricing, it's hard to know what other shenanigans will ultimately go into an actual lease deal.
third, i assume by "special test market pricing" they mean "anything to get you in the door".
The key is the term "lease pricing". KIA finance has $5000 cash available for 36 month lease on the base Stinger. No money for purchase, just 1.9% finance. The dealer's ad is misleading, but the lease price is $355/mo with $2000 down. Pretty good deal for a newly released car. No real discount from dealer for purchase, but a killer price for a lease through the company finance company. Isn't there a German car company that does something similar? Starts with B.
Old 01-11-18, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The dealer's ad is misleading
shocking. thanks for explanation.
Old 01-11-18, 06:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
shocking. thanks for explanation.
haha of course this has been the case since the beginning of time...I bought a Nissan Maxima brand new in 1998. List was $29,400, sell was $22,700. Anyone who had a pulse got such a deal.

But in the newspaper, such cars would be thousands less than the above. They had brand new Maxima GXEs advertised for $14,995. Brand new, 1998. So I said they're on, I'm going to see what's up. Go to this dealer on Queens Blvd., and I had to wait because none of the available sales people spoke English, they spoke other languages and the English speaking ones were all busy.

Here's how it went: "You got this car for $14,995?"
"Yep."
"Can I buy it?"
"Yes, by law, I cannot advertise something I do not have."
"Ok, I want to buy it."
"Ok, I am going to have to get it from my Long Island warehouse, that will take about 6 hours. But in the meantime, we can get started with the paperwork and I'll call them to send the car."
"Oh, you mean I have to finance it through the dealer?"
"Yeah, for that price."
"But 13%, Nissan is doing 5.9%?"
"Let me be honest with you, you don't want this car, it's not worth your time for me to sell it to you. That price is to get you into the dealer so I can sell you a more expensive car."

I never bought it there, and went elsewhere.
Old 01-11-18, 12:54 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha of course this has been the case since the beginning of time...I bought a Nissan Maxima brand new in 1998. List was $29,400, sell was $22,700. Anyone who had a pulse got such a deal.

But in the newspaper, such cars would be thousands less than the above. They had brand new Maxima GXEs advertised for $14,995. Brand new, 1998. So I said they're on, I'm going to see what's up. Go to this dealer on Queens Blvd., and I had to wait because none of the available sales people spoke English, they spoke other languages and the English speaking ones were all busy.

Here's how it went: "You got this car for $14,995?"
"Yep."
"Can I buy it?"
"Yes, by law, I cannot advertise something I do not have."
"Ok, I want to buy it."
"Ok, I am going to have to get it from my Long Island warehouse, that will take about 6 hours. But in the meantime, we can get started with the paperwork and I'll call them to send the car."
"Oh, you mean I have to finance it through the dealer?"
"Yeah, for that price."
"But 13%, Nissan is doing 5.9%?"
"Let me be honest with you, you don't want this car, it's not worth your time for me to sell it to you. That price is to get you into the dealer so I can sell you a more expensive car."

I never bought it there, and went elsewhere.
You got to appreciate the guys honesty
Old 01-13-18, 04:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for all the comments everyone! And to some of the critics, of course I'm in the honeymoon phase but you have to ask yourselves how can a Kia get someone who just owned luxury cars for several years, traded them and is sitting in one!

Metaphors aside, I was as objective as possible (Pros + Cons) in my first week of ownership. And of course, reliability and how the car feels in the long run is still up in the air. Time will tell and anyone who is interested can PM me or wait for my feedback in a few months from now on an update.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-13-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for all the comments everyone! And to some of the critics, of course I'm in the honeymoon phase but you have to ask yourselves how can a Kia get someone who just owned luxury cars for several years, traded them and is sitting in one!

Metaphors aside, I was as objective as possible (Pros + Cons) in my first week of ownership. And of course, reliability and how the car feels in the long run is still up in the air. Time will tell and anyone who is interested can PM me or wait for my feedback in a few months from now on an update.
congrats on the car, i am sure that KIA will be at least decently reliable.

My problem here in Europe is that KIA doesnt have their own finance company so their lease would be from regular bank and resale is likely crazy bad. Then again there is always a 2 years wait to get used one at really low pricing, but the problem is still selling it later (or should we say gifting it). Also their diesel which is a must, is nothing special for this kind of vehicle.

How much would you like the vehicle if it had 200hp engine?
Old 01-13-18, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Went to the mall today and met up with my cousin and his wife. They have a "Stinger Store" there with a red Stinger, much like a mall Tesla store. Showed them the Stinger and they loved it, their reaction...."thats a Kia?!?!"

They'll be doing test drives at the mall too, same as the Tesla store does.
Old 01-13-18, 05:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Went to the mall today and met up with my cousin and his wife. They have a "Stinger Store" there with a red Stinger, much like a mall Tesla store. Showed them the Stinger and they loved it, their reaction...."thats a Kia?!?!"

They'll be doing test drives at the mall too, same as the Tesla store does.
Until I read your post, I didn't realize that the Stinger was available only at selected dealerships. This is an interesting concept - Similar to the Genesis G90 only at selected shops?.
Old 01-13-18, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Until I read your post, I didn't realize that the Stinger was available only at selected dealerships. This is an interesting concept - Similar to the Genesis G90 only at selected shops?.
I think they're available at all dealerships, this is a special retail store in the mall just to showcase the car, such as what Tesla does.
Old 01-13-18, 05:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think they're available at all dealerships, this is a special retail store in the mall just to showcase the car, such as what Tesla does.
The mall store concept was new to me too. I looked up Kia Stinger dealers and this came up indicating selected dealers only. I noticed that a couple I'm familiar with in my area weren't on the list and a couple of others were.

https://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/me...showcasing.pdf
Old 01-13-18, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, I didn’t know that either...
Old 01-13-18, 06:17 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The mall store concept was new to me too. I looked up Kia Stinger dealers and this came up indicating selected dealers only. I noticed that a couple I'm familiar with in my area weren't on the list and a couple of others were.

https://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/me...showcasing.pdf
I believe that was pre-release info. One of the two local dealerships had a Korean spec Stinger in the showroom but it was not available to drive. Both dealerships now have several Stingers now available and it looks like all the dealers in Phoenix have them. I don't think they are limited like the G90 and K900 are.

The shopping mall store seems like a great way to get people into these cars, particularly the Genesis G90. Cheaper showrooms than a complete dealership with very high traffic. Since they have a valet pick-up your car for service, the service departments could be anywhere including the Hyundai dealership.
Old 01-13-18, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The shopping mall store seems like a great way to get people into these cars, particularly the Genesis G90. Cheaper showrooms than a complete dealership with very high traffic. Since they have a valet pick-up your car for service, the service departments could be anywhere including the Hyundai dealership.
Yeah, I think they should do it with the G90 for sure, especially around here. Malls are suffering, even the most affluent malls have vacant stalls, I bet Kia and Tesla both got those spaces for really cheap.
Old 01-14-18, 06:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I've read that the new thing at struggling malls is to get alternative retail and recreation concepts in vacant locations. I bet you are correct that the space can be rented at bargain rates.

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi