Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 08:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ Interesting comparisons. Sometimes people who have a lot of money will pay for things that provide less real world value as opposed to perceived value. And 4WD vehicles/trucks are no exception. I liken it to people who go buy Arctic expedition parkas because, you know, the explorers use them on Mount Everest, so I must need them too, usually in that bright red/orange color with some sort of logo patch on the left shoulder.
Well, mega rich people can do anything they want, LOL! Unfortunately we don't even belong to any rich class. Drove company vehicles(to a degree I had choices from only Big 3) replaced every 3 years When I retired I took the car I was driving for whole sale book value. Then I had to create a secret account to put aside some money every month. From that account now we could afford some nice vehicles. But pretty we'll have to be ready for new breed of cars using alternative energy. May be I'll be gone B4 that time comes. After 2 years from now, I have to take physical exam. annually to keep my driver's license. Wife is younger than I so she may driver little longer.
Old 01-06-18, 09:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

If you look at the short video clip that the OP started the thread with, you can see, that Ford Explorer is nearly out of control because of the excessive throttle application to make the rear wheels break loose. The rear wheels break and then the driver has to nearly over-correct with aggressive counter steer to make sure he doesn't run to the outside of the turn and then nearly runs into the building's wall. This is what some of the worst SUV drivers will do because that's the so-called, "I'm invincible" driving attitude.
nearly is the key word there lol, he had been practicing making that turn a few times before i started recording, and the building wasn't as close as it looks
Old 01-06-18, 09:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
nearly is the key word there lol, he had been practicing making that turn a few times before i started recording, and the building wasn't as close as it looks
He's over-correcting to mitigate the outside slide. It's a classic case of snap over-steer being over-corrected to prevent a collision to the outside which then points the vehicle to the insde, which happens to be a wall. And you say you practice this on public property? How old are you guys?
Old 01-06-18, 09:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Processing power nowadays is in Nano second range. When I was a loyal Acura MDX driver SH-AWD was very good which now evolved to single clutch system from that of double. Any how, we can say 4WD, AWD(part time 4WD). My wife's old Suzuki CUV had a switch with 3 positions. FWD, Auto, Lock(meaning differential lock; with a warning never use it on dry pavement) Again it means it can be FWD or AWD or
part time 4WD. In my family, wife drives Mercedes GLA with 4Matic, son has few BMW vehicles M3, 328iX, M235; open differential with RWD. My Audi SQ5 with Quattro. We tested them ourselves on a wide open deep snow covered field all with good brand name winter tires. Merecedes had Michelin Xice 3, BMW X-drive has Nokia Akapellita, Audi has Pirelli Zotto Zero. Over all we ranked Quattro, 4Matic. X-drive in that order. We're not pro drivers but all received defensive driving course in class room and on track. Think AWD performance is based on design, whether vehicle is RWD baised or FWD biased, weight balance, front and back, height of center of gravity... IMO Subaru system is best. Specially new ones with X-mode. Our daughter is a loyal Subaru driver since high school days. Looks like she is eyeing on a new Crosstrek
replacing her old Forester XT.
so far milliseconds is what I have seen (audi ultra). The original sh-awd system was a beast the new one is great but with its shame the current gen had a terrible trans.

sidenote: anyone remeber the curated lexus content talk about how they stuck a Lx in tbe mus
Old 01-06-18, 09:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Well, mega rich people can do anything they want, LOL! Unfortunately we don't even belong to any rich class. Drove company vehicles(to a degree I had choices from only Big 3) replaced every 3 years When I retired I took the car I was driving for whole sale book value. Then I had to create a secret account to put aside some money every month. From that account now we could afford some nice vehicles. But pretty we'll have to be ready for new breed of cars using alternative energy. May be I'll be gone B4 that time comes. After 2 years from now, I have to take physical exam. annually to keep my driver's license. Wife is younger than I so she may driver little longer.
The comment that you're responding to wasn't directed at you the way you think. I was talking about the general tone of discussions about people who feel the need to have full on 4WD. Yours is a comment I support.
Old 01-06-18, 11:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Do I need 4WD? Not for my daily commute. I live in Las Vegas.

However, my weekends often involve off-roading.... So I bought a 4WD pickup.

I would never consider a truck that was 2WD
Old 01-07-18, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is not true. Simply having 4wd does not suddenly turn a vehicle into something you can drive in any weather condition and not worry. There are many weather conditions like deep snow and ice where you don't want to drive just about any personal vehicle, even if it has awd or 4wd. Have a look at news footage of all the vehicles flipped over, in a ditch, smashed into something during a bad snowstorm and you will see the majority of them are 4wd vehicles whose owners likely thought those vehicles could handle anything and they decided to drive instead of staying off the road. Having a 4wd vehicle with a higher ground clearance with snow tires/chains and knowing how to drive in the snow certainly helps and is your best bet for driving in the snow but knowing when not to drive and stay off the road in bad weather no matter what vehicle you have will keep you the safest. Remember that not too long ago the vast majority of vehicles on the road were not awd, most were RWD with not very good tires not too long ago either and people managed to get around even in the snow. Good all seasons or snow tires and using caution will be more then enough for most drivers in the few snows most of the US gets each year.

AWD/4wd is not necessary unless you live in rural areas that get lots of snow and you absolutely need to drive in it, someone living in NYC or most of the US that just needs a grocery getter or train car does not need awd and it is generally a waste of money and gas to get it for the few times it snows. Those types are often the ones who don't know how to drive in the snow or know when to stay home and they end up getting in a accident in their 4wd vehicle while driving in the snow, awd mostly just helps you get unstuck from a stop, it does not help you brake or will stop you from a slide.
The beauty of having 4WD is that you don’t have to worry if there is a big snowstorm after you go out. Snow tires achieve part of this goal too however snow tires and 4WD is ideal.Don’t read into everything that I said. When I say not have to worry it means you can leave but still have a system that can help you get home. The faux 4WD systems of the Rav and Highlander are not appealing to me. Anything that is real 4WD or better yet is full time 4WD is worth paying extra for with Toyota. They are not overkill and I would say they are superior to the Subaru system.
Old 01-07-18, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The beauty of having 4WD is that you don’t have to worry if there is a big snowstorm after you go out. Snow tires achieve part of this goal too however snow tires and 4WD is ideal.Don’t read into everything that I said. When I say not have to worry it means you can leave but still have a system that can help you get home. The faux 4WD systems of the Rav and Highlander are not appealing to me. Anything that is real 4WD or better yet is full time 4WD is worth paying extra for with Toyota. They are not overkill and I would say they are superior to the Subaru system.
This is the way I look at AWD in the context of a non-utility vehicle also. With my AWD LS460 if I go into the office and there is no snow, and I come out and there is 4-5 inches of snow, I get in my car and I drive home. I don't have to worry about leaving early or trying to avoid the weather. If I need to or want to get in my car and drive down to southern WV to my hometown which I do a couple times a year, in the winter the highways in the mountains are unpredictable, with the AWD LS I don't have to worry. With my RWD LS400 and LS430 I would avoid travel there in the winter in that car. Luckily at that time we had a 4WD SUV, don't have that luxury right now.

With my kids, if we're here and we're in a snowstorm and somebody gets hurt, or sick, or needs to go to the Doctor, I know I can load everybody in the LS and get to where I need to go as long as there isn't more than 5-6 inches of snow on the roads.

There's a luxury to that flexibility and freedom, and thats why I think you see AWD becoming so prevalent in luxury sedans and vehicles today. I think that is also a reason why crossovers have become as popular as they are.

Thats one luxury I really will miss when my new RWD LS460L gets here. Looking back my AWD LS460 and AWD GS350 combined may have been driven in the snow 3 times in 5 years, but having that freedom is part of the overall package.

So no, its not "necessary", but its a really great feature to have and makes travel in the winter, and the rain, much more sure footed and gives you as a vehicle owner a lot more freedom and confidence. Absent my AWD LS, the FWD Pacifica will become the family snow car and we'll be able to get where we need to go if we have to go out, but that confidence won't be there.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-07-18 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is the way I look at AWD in the context of a non-utility vehicle also. With my AWD LS460 if I go into the office and there is no snow, and I come out and there is 4-5 inches of snow, I get in my car and I drive home. I don't have to worry about leaving early or trying to avoid the weather. If I need to or want to get in my car and drive down to southern WV to my hometown which I do a couple times a year, in the winter the highways in the mountains are unpredictable, with the AWD LS I don't have to worry. With my RWD LS400 and LS430 I would avoid travel there in the winter in that car. Luckily at that time we had a 4WD SUV, don't have that luxury right now.

With my kids, if we're here and we're in a snowstorm and somebody gets hurt, or sick, or needs to go to the Doctor, I know I can load everybody in the LS and get to where I need to go as long as there isn't more than 5-6 inches of snow on the roads.

There's a luxury to that flexibility and freedom, and thats why I think you see AWD becoming so prevalent in luxury sedans and vehicles today. I think that is also a reason why crossovers have become as popular as they are.

Thats one luxury I really will miss when my new RWD LS460L gets here. Looking back my AWD LS460 and AWD GS350 combined may have been driven in the snow 3 times in 5 years, but having that freedom is part of the overall package.

So no, its not "necessary", but its a really great feature to have and makes travel in the winter, and the rain, much more sure footed and gives you as a vehicle owner a lot more freedom and confidence. Absent my AWD LS, the FWD Pacifica will become the family snow car and we'll be able to get where we need to go if we have to go out, but that confidence won't be there.
Well said. I will also add that you also benefit of AWD when driving in any conditions , not just snow. You rain and even dry pavement which adds in handling. The really nice thing about Lexus AWD in their cars, is that is almost a mirror of the BOF full time system.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-07-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 08:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

There's a certain false sense of confidence that I think has been discussed before here. Quebec, 4 snows are required. Ontario, 4 snows are not required but most cars I've observed over the past two years have 4 snows. Here, there seems to be this mentality that AWD and A/S tires = no need to worry about anything. Just look at a week and a half ago in Philly, 2" of snow, and 20 car pileup on 76, another on the turnpike. How many of those vehicles are likely AWD? The majority. Then again, the youtubes which demonstrate many vehicles cannot effectively detect slippage, and then transfer the torque. A muddy water drenched soccer field would be a good test for anyone's vehicle, again, Jeep and Range Rover don't bother, you know you'll be ok. It's the Toyota/Honda/Ford/VW and new Audis that may be in for a surprise...(not 4Runner or Land Cruiser/Sequoia should be fine)
Old 01-07-18, 10:51 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well said, its all about the confidence. With an AWD I am not scared of driving in heavy snow. When you said you won't have the confidence with the Pacifica, if you put on snow tires, I think you will find it will do well. Besides its a heavy vehicle, so there's that.
Old 01-07-18, 10:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Dont want to burst the bubble here here....BUT:

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...-on-wet-grass/
Old 01-07-18, 11:05 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

He's over-correcting to mitigate the outside slide. It's a classic case of snap over-steer being over-corrected to prevent a collision to the outside which then points the vehicle to the insde, which happens to be a wall. And you say you practice this on public property? How old are you guys?
that's not "snap oversteer", that happens in a usually rear engined car (MR2 is notorious for it) when you lift off the gas (hence, it's also called lift-off oversteer) and all the weight suddenly shifts forward causing the back to step out, during high speed cornering. it's amplified by a rear engined car since there's a lot more weight in the back to upset the balance. but mainly, snap oversteer is sudden and accidental whereas this was neither. just intentional fooling around in a controlled environment lol...

but to answer your question, i'm 8 and he's 6
Old 01-07-18, 11:24 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

yes i agree it's definitely more beneficial to have AWD if you can and have an actual decent commute. but as you point out, having AWD / 4WD is a luxury! you actually commute to work and do well for yourself so i'd probably go for an AWD car too if i were in a similar position.

i'm talking about the people that will only use this car to drive a very short amount everyday through an essentially 100% urban / suburban environment that feel having AWD is so important they will get a much more costly SUV / CUV. i'm just somewhat frustrated by the amount of people i've seen that ended up going with a rogue over a rav since it's quite a bit cheaper (for good reason) when they could've spent even less and just gotten a corolla or camry.
Old 01-07-18, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
There's a certain false sense of confidence that I think has been discussed before here. Quebec, 4 snows are required. Ontario, 4 snows are not required but most cars I've observed over the past two years have 4 snows. Here, there seems to be this mentality that AWD and A/S tires = no need to worry about anything. Just look at a week and a half ago in Philly, 2" of snow, and 20 car pileup on 76, another on the turnpike. How many of those vehicles are likely AWD? The majority. Then again, the youtubes which demonstrate many vehicles cannot effectively detect slippage, and then transfer the torque. A muddy water drenched soccer field would be a good test for anyone's vehicle, again, Jeep and Range Rover don't bother, you know you'll be ok. It's the Toyota/Honda/Ford/VW and new Audis that may be in for a surprise...(not 4Runner or Land Cruiser/Sequoia should be fine)
Its not a question of false confidence. Having owned RWD, FWD and AWD Lexus sedans there is no comparison, the AWD sedan is dramatically more drivable and safer to drive in the snow. Now, that doesn't mean that you can drive in anything or that winter tires won't improve your safety even more, but the difference is irrefutable.

Its like saying you shouldn't wear boots on an icy day because even in boots you could still slip and fall, may as well wear smooth leather soled shoes.

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Well said, its all about the confidence. With an AWD I am not scared of driving in heavy snow. When you said you won't have the confidence with the Pacifica, if you put on snow tires, I think you will find it will do well. Besides its a heavy vehicle, so there's that.
Point is though in my climate winter tires don't make sense.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yes i agree it's definitely more beneficial to have AWD if you can and have an actual decent commute. but as you point out, having AWD / 4WD is a luxury! you actually commute to work and do well for yourself so i'd probably go for an AWD car too if i were in a similar position.

i'm talking about the people that will only use this car to drive a very short amount everyday through an essentially 100% urban / suburban environment that feel having AWD is so important they will get a much more costly SUV / CUV. i'm just somewhat frustrated by the amount of people i've seen that ended up going with a rogue over a rav since it's quite a bit cheaper (for good reason) when they could've spent even less and just gotten a corolla or camry.
Its all about comfort vs cost. It makes them feel more secure to have an AWD vehicle, whether they "need" one, or if buying one makes financial sense or not. They get off the train and if theres 4-5 inches of snow, they feel like they can get home. People will almost always buy what makes them feel good over what they know rationally makes the most sense.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well said. I will also add that you also benefit of AWD when driving in any conditions , not just snow. You rain and even dry pavement which adds in handling. The really nice thing about Lexus AWD in their cars, is that is almost a mirror of the BOF full time system.
For sure, my AWD Lexus sedans have always been very secure and confidence inspiring, mash the throttle and you always have 100% grip, whereas with the RWD and FWD cars you will have wheelspin, etc.

They do have a very robust system too as you said. Back when I had the AWD GS and the Jeep, I actually found in snow that wasn't so deep the GS's ground clearance was an issue that the GS was actually more confidence inspiring to drive in the snow than the Jeep!

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-07-18 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?