Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I'm part of the Q50/Q60 forums and there's a lot of mysterious engine failures on the 3.0T.
define "a lot".
Old 01-02-18, 03:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The Q60 coupes are nice looking. 400hp is tempting but I wonder how expensive it would be if you just bought the 300hp version and modded it to 400hp or more, I doubt there is much difference between the 2 aside from tuning as it is the same basic engine/setup and it could save a lot of money just to mod the 300hp version.
Old 01-02-18, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with the earlier suggestion to look at the Kia Stinger GT before you sign for either an RC or a Q. One of our most respected members, here on Car Chat, just picked up a new Stinger....and loves it. In fact, he traded an RC-F for it.
Old 01-02-18, 04:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
define "a lot".
Forums are hard to quantify, but I will say that at least 1/20 owners have had significant engine / powetrain issues. Infiniti / Nissan is notorious for having teething issues with new power trains (see CVT). No one truly knows the numbers but it is definitely more than the IS platform, which is expected considering they use a decade old engine lol...
Old 01-02-18, 04:22 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Here's a sample of a scary recall already...

Old 01-02-18, 04:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Q60 is quite the looker!

The Lexus probably has more standard equipment, but the Infiniti has more aftermarket support.

drive them both, see which seat isn’t better for daily, commuting, travel.
Old 01-02-18, 06:14 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moderator edit - bodarville exit this thread.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-02-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 07:12 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Q60 is the better car by all counts. Don't let Lexus fan boyism fool you.
Old 01-02-18, 07:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

They are both nice choices and you couldn't go wrong with either. It's really personal choice/preference. I look at it as the Infiniti is the all-new body, while the RC has been out for years and is due for a facelift. I'd also consider the Lexus more reliable, but the Infiniti is not that bad either. Again, they are close, so it's your choice. If it were me, I'd be all over a new A5.
Old 01-02-18, 09:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The other option is that you can get a slightly used RCF for a pretty good price nowadays. My god that V8 would be so much better than either V6s.
Old 01-03-18, 03:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The other option is that you can get a slightly used RCF for a pretty good price nowadays. My god that V8 would be so much better than either V6s.
Depends what you're looking for. I rather have a TTV6 than a NA V8 because I like to mod and want more power. I would take a NA V8 over a NA V6 though.
Old 01-03-18, 07:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
define "a lot".
LOL, yep I read about 3 issues, hardly a lot.

Originally Posted by ST430
Not scary to me - not urgent, doesn't say DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR.
Old 01-03-18, 08:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, yep I read about 3 issues, hardly a lot.

Not scary to me - not urgent, doesn't say DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-04-18, 06:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will probably be the one to tell you to go with RC Luxury instead of F-Sport. A lot nicer cabin and more relevant equipment. I've tried both and surprisingly I found Luxury package to be something I would want.

My rundown is following
Looks = Q60 by a slight margin, it's more coherent and flows better. Back of Q60 is nicely done so it seem wide like proper coupe should. Color choice for Q60 is pretty bad compared to RC. If you opt for RC you have to get it with Premium LED, that makes a whole world of difference. I do prefer the front of RC compared to Q60. Q60 does have a proper sports car stance while Lexus being Lexus loves the wheel arch to wheel gap and especially on RC asymmetric stance is quite noticeable. Anyway both are the most obvious choice to pop out from the crowd of German entry coupes which are nothing but two door sedans.

Interior = RC by an 1/8 of a point. Both have shortcomings in a big way. RC integrates the infotainment system very nicely but passenger side disrupts the flow and it looks like an afterthought, it break the flow. And random inserts are joke. I also don't like the waterfall climate control with sharp cutoff but I do like thickness on the doors. Q60 has too much old-school of a vertical layout, with old school gauges, old school shifter, thin old school steering wheel and wavy passenger side that first debuted in G37. In this case RC is tad bit more contemporary and has a bit better seating position. I love my seats down to the ground as possible and in from that perspective RC gives me a better feel that I'm down low than Q60. It could easily be just the cabin and the way it wraps around you instead of how truly you sit down low.

Infotainment = Q60. I do hate the double screen setup, nothing against the concept but I'm against Infiniti/Acura integration as it looks unfinished. Infiniti infotainment is easier to pick up then Lexus, I can tell you that much. Trackpad in RC is not that bad but overall experience goes to Infiniti.

Engine = I would assume anything with twin turbo will be better than NA so Q60. Like I said I didn't drive it but I cannot imagine any turbo six not being better than what RC has.

*Comfort = RC is pretty comfy over some time, love the seats. Unfortunately this category doesn't count since I didn't experience Q60 yet. But at least it' some usable info.
Old 01-05-18, 02:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the earlier suggestion to look at the Kia Stinger GT before you sign for either an RC or a Q. One of our most respected members, here on Car Chat, just picked up a new Stinger....and loves it. In fact, he traded an RC-F for it.

Thanks MM for the mention.

Not sure if he's considering the Stinger since the form factor/styling and/or badge is not for everyone. As for the RC, I can definitely vouch for its tank-like build quality. In fact not a single rattle or squeak for an almost 3-year-old car. Granted, the RC F is further reinforced than an RC but the softer suspension in the RC should compensate. On the negative, I can't say I'm fond of the 2L 4 Turbo having experienced it from my 2-year NX ownership. It's smooth enough, with decent power/fuel economy, and fairly quiet under throttle, but there is quite some lag at all RPMs especially from a standing start. So between the RC 300 and Q60 3.0T, I'd be leaning towards the Infiniti to be honest since I value performance in a coupe. Now if you were considering the RC 350, I'd lean back to getting the RC.

Happy shopping!

Quick Reply: Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t