Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For you Mazda Miata fans.....some cosmetic changes for 2018.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default For you Mazda Miata fans.....some cosmetic changes for 2018.

A new roof color might seem trivial to some, but there a lot of devoted fans of this car....it has been on Car and Driver's 10 Best list for years. It's not the car for me as a daily-driver (too small, too cramped, and too unrefined for my tastes)...but I have to admit it's a lot of fun to get into every once in a while, flip the amazingly simple-to-operate top up and down, and enjoy not only some razor-sharp maneuverability, but to also keep up my old skills with a traditional clutch and manual transmission as well. Here's a list of the new roof and some other cosmetic and color changes for 2018.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...red-roof-2018/

Mazda’s MX-5 Available With Cherry On Top For 2018

By Matt Posky on December 26, 2017

Mazda is offering driving enthusiasts a late Christmas gift by touching up the Miata for 2018 with a bevy of welcome options and a handful of all-inclusive improvements.

Even though nobody complained about the fourth-generation MX-5’s on-road behavior, the manufacturer still tweaked its rear suspension and steering for 2018. It also says it made efforts to reduce undesirable cabin noise. However, the most noticeable alteration for the next model year is the addition of an optional red soft top for the North American market.

For the more-aggressive MX-5 Club, Mazda maintains the optional Brembo brake and BBS wheel package. But shoppers can now add heated Recaro seats if they wish. Available only with a six-speed manual, the brake and wheel package tacks $3,770 onto the Club’s $29,155 MSRP — or $4,470, if you want the sport seats included.

Downshifting to the base model, Mazda is giving the Sport trim a 7-inch infotainment system and advanced keyless entry as standard equipment for 2018. The model now sells for $25,295. While that represents an increase of nearly $400 over last year’s car, the media center wasn’t even available on the base Miata in 2017. In terms of the bigger picture, we’re considering it a good deal overall.

Color changes are subtle and welcome. The $30,195 Grand Touring trim is now available with an auburn leather interior, which ought to look great with black paint, for an extra $300. However, is black isn’t your bag, Mazda is now offering the MX-5 in Snowflake White Pearl Mica ($200), Soul Red Crystal ($595), and Machine Gray Metallic ($300), which was previously exclusive to the RF hardtop.

Pricing and packaging information for the 2018 Mazda MX-5 RF will be announced later, but we’re expecting to see similar options and fees. Soft-top models will start showing up at dealerships in January with both black and cherry-red canvases.
Old 12-28-17, 11:12 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used to own a 1995 Miata - nice cars. They are much better now, of course, but I just can't bear to look at that rear end........I love the looks of the Fiata (the Miata based Fiat Spyder)
Old 12-29-17, 12:03 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They still haven't fixed my biggest beef with the new Miata, the color choices SUCK!!!!!!! Also why lock you out of certain color choices in lower trim levels, just offer that color for an upcharge in the lower trim level. I mean there still isn't a good medium blue, a good navy blue, no green(british racing green is a classic Miata color that should be offered IMO), a good bright red, a good orange metallic, where is yellow, where is a bronze tint, everybody loves grey now days, why not offer it in 4 shades with different types of metallic fleck????

IMO a specialty car like this should be infinitely customizable, the Germans get this IMO, especially Porsche.
Old 12-29-17, 09:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That cherry ragtop is nice
Old 12-29-17, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
They still haven't fixed my biggest beef with the new Miata, the color choices SUCK!!!!!!! Also why lock you out of certain color choices in lower trim levels, just offer that color for an upcharge in the lower trim level. I mean there still isn't a good medium blue, a good navy blue, no green(british racing green is a classic Miata color that should be offered IMO), a good bright red, a good orange metallic, where is yellow, where is a bronze tint, everybody loves grey now days, why not offer it in 4 shades with different types of metallic fleck????

IMO a specialty car like this should be infinitely customizable, the Germans get this IMO, especially Porsche.

British Racing Green, BTW, along with Camel Tan leather interiors, was offered in the past, with some Special Editions.

Old 12-29-17, 02:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

A handful of new colors are available for the entire 2018 Miata lineup, including Eternal Blue Mica, Snowflake White Pearl Mica, Soul Red Crystal, and a color previously only found on the retractable fastback (RF) models, Machine Gray Metallic. http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.3712238

Last edited by bagwell; 01-03-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 11:38 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That cherry ragtop has been done before:
Attached Thumbnails For you Mazda Miata fans.....some cosmetic changes for 2018.-2011nissan370zroadsterbeautysidetopupsm001.jpg  
Old 12-31-17, 02:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
That cherry ragtop has been done before:
Yes, but that looks like a Nissan Z you posted, not a Miata.
Old 12-31-17, 09:28 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but that looks like a Nissan Z you posted, not a Miata.
Yes, that was my point. It was done before by another auto manufacturer, not necessarily by Mazda.
Old 01-01-18, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Yes, that was my point. It was done before by another auto manufacturer, not necessarily by Mazda.
Yes, but it's nice to know Miata owners also have that option.

Of course, the real genius of the Miata's manual top is not in its color, but the sheer simplicity and ease of use. With a reasonable amount of strength and a good arm, hand, and shoulder (presumably without arthritis or other physical problems) one can flip the top up and down in three seconds...I've done it in under three, at the D.C. auto show, demonstrating the top for gawkers around the car.
Old 01-03-18, 12:51 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont get these expensive yet slow cars. Yes, they are light and blah blah blah, but what about the value proposition? For the price, it should have something other than a tiny wheezing 4 cylinder. Maybe the convertible chassis cant handle 300 turbocharged hp? What about 250hp? Then there's the 86, no reason why that chassis cant handle the extra power. For the price, these cars would have sold so much better if it had some real power. 200hp from a high revving 2L 4cylinder was awesome 15yrs ago, today its nowhere near enough.
Old 01-03-18, 02:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ curb weight of the MX-5 is only about 2300 lbs, 200 would be fine for it. Mazdaspeed Miata would be awesome IMO, 2005 made 178hp vs 155 today. BRZ/86 is 2800 lbs, so 250 would be nice.
Old 01-03-18, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

That's been a pet peeve of mine. The 2.0L putting out the same 155hp as the Mazda3. Seriously Mazda? Please tune it slightly to make it more special and unique to the MX-5.
Old 01-03-18, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Situman
I dont get these expensive yet slow cars. Yes, they are light and blah blah blah, but what about the value proposition? For the price, it should have something other than a tiny wheezing 4 cylinder. Maybe the convertible chassis cant handle 300 turbocharged hp? What about 250hp? Then there's the 86, no reason why that chassis cant handle the extra power. For the price, these cars would have sold so much better if it had some real power. 200hp from a high revving 2L 4cylinder was awesome 15yrs ago, today its nowhere near enough.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's been a pet peeve of mine. The 2.0L putting out the same 155hp as the Mazda3. Seriously Mazda? Please tune it slightly to make it more special and unique to the MX-5.
Though there was indeed a limited-production turbo MazdaSpeed version made a number of years ago, in general, I have to disagree that it is underpowered. If this car needed more spunk, it probably would not have been on Car & Driver's Ten-Best-List for so many years.
Old 01-03-18, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though there was indeed a limited-production turbo MazdaSpeed version made a number of years ago, in general, I have to disagree that it is underpowered. If this car needed more spunk, it probably would not have been on Car & Driver's Ten-Best-List for so many years.
I'm talking about making it unique. Even a few extra ponies. The fact it would have more 'spunk' is just an added benefit. Re-tune it, send it to Yamaha, do something.

"Nice coupe, what kind of engine is in it?"
"a Mazda3 engine"

The G35 had one of the most unique exhaust notes before they dropped it for the 3.7L. Mazda could learn from that.

The 2.0 in the MX-5 doesn't even have any economy benefits 26/33mpg and it's lighter than a Mazda3 at 29/39mpg.

For a company that wants to move upscale, they need to do better at making it unique.

Quick Reply: For you Mazda Miata fans.....some cosmetic changes for 2018.