Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 04:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Curious why you didn't consider a q50/q60 AWD instead? Congrats though...
Old 01-03-18, 05:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Curious why you didn't consider a q50/q60 AWD instead? Congrats though...
Thanks. 2-Door coupe is out as I wanted something more practical. Q50 is getting long in the tooth and its styling to me both in and out is not that exciting.

As for the others I considered to varying degrees:
- BMW nor MB interest me styling-wise (3/4-series and/or C-class)
- XE is cheap on the inside
- I had a '17 A4 eliminating the A5 as its very similar.
- TLX A-Spec (yawn - I'd get an Accord Touring over it)
- Giulia... well FIAT... and quirky looks do not appeal... (exception Quadrifoglio though not what I wanted to spend on a daily driver)
- G70 was the one I was going to go for but exterior styling is a derivative and on the conservative side.
Old 01-03-18, 05:53 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I actually said congrats in an earlier post and complimented the Stinger.My reaction would be the same if he posted that he traded in the RCF for a BMW 330i Msport.RCF is a special car and leagues above a Stinger.
Thanks. No worries. RC F is a special car though I wouldn't say leagues above a Stinger GT. My RC F will be parked next to this guy's FF in the showroom, whom he traded in for a Sorrento (or Sedona) is what the salesman told me! To each their own ...

Originally Posted by pbm317
Great pickup Corrado! Funny that the U.S. market Stinger doesn't include the 360 cam and some other differences that the Canadian model packed in.
Thanks. I don't understand it to this day. Same with Lexus vehicles in the US (IS missed USB for a couple years), NX missed out on HUD and AVS until MY '18, etc. 10x the Canadian market, yet we seem to get the more complete offerings, though where we come short is on interior color offerings compared to the US such as a light grey interior.
Old 01-03-18, 01:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,550 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Congrats! The Stinger seems really impressive - I'm not due for replacing any cars atm but will have this one on my short list in a year or two - would love to see your impressions, especially given we are both IS owners (or, now former IS owner in your case I suppose ). I do like the subtle gray exterior color - I'd probably end up with the same combo if not for the striking red color they have on offer!
Old 01-03-18, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Reading about this stinger. In AWD is all power to the rear on dry pavement. Slippage 50/50. If you lock it in sport it goes 20/80. Pretty interesting
Old 01-03-18, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Reading about this stinger. In AWD is all power to the rear on dry pavement. Slippage 50/50. If you lock it in sport it goes 20/80. Pretty interesting
That's the general set-up that most people buying this car would probably want...a sport-oriented bias towards RWD most of the time, and AWD only when it is actually needed. That, of course, allows the front tires to do more of what front tires are expected to do in a sport-oriented vehicle....steer the car and provide feedback to the driver, not combine steering with actual propulsion.
Old 01-03-18, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the general set-up that most people buying this car would probably want...a sport-oriented bias towards RWD most of the time, and AWD only when it is actually needed. That, of course, allows the front tires to do more of what front tires are expected to do in a sport-oriented vehicle....steer the car and provide feedback to the driver, not combine steering with actual propulsion.
Actually, some front propulsion is beneficial for a sport oriented car.
Old 01-03-18, 09:01 PM
AWD4Mo
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just took a look at some pics of the 2018 Stinger. Front quarter view is nice. Side view is acceptable. Rear view is atrocious IMO. To me, it appears that the designers started fresh at the front and gradually lost steam and just sorta filled in the back end. Wow, very disappointed. I wouldn't drive that if someone gave it to me free of charge! My opinion only, not trying to offend anyone. I'm sure there will be people liking it......just not me!
Old 01-04-18, 04:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Just took a look at some pics of the 2018 Stinger. Front quarter view is nice. Side view is acceptable. Rear view is atrocious IMO. To me, it appears that the designers started fresh at the front and gradually lost steam and just sorta filled in the back end. Wow, very disappointed. I wouldn't drive that if someone gave it to me free of charge! My opinion only, not trying to offend anyone. I'm sure there will be people liking it......just not me!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, solution get a faster car so you don't have to see the rear
Old 01-04-18, 06:46 AM
AWD4Mo
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by plex
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, solution get a faster car so you don't have to see the rear
....butt I'd know I had a butt-ugly butt
Old 01-04-18, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Actually, some front propulsion is beneficial for a sport oriented car.

All else equal, most sporting-type drivers prefer a RWD set-up because it leaves the car, and the drivetrain, better-balanced. Any given set of tires has only so much available traction/grip....no matter what they are trying to do. In general, the less of the actual work that the front tires do in actually propelling the car, the more available grip and traction will be available to give this type of driver what he or she wants most....precise, responsive steering and more neutral handling (vs. understeer). Rear-engined cars used to have the opposite problem.....classic oversteer from all of the weight-bias in back making the tail slide out......but electronic traction-aids and better suspension/steering designs have tamed most of that.

I'm not saying this because I myself am an aggressive driver, or make a habit of driving that way.....I don't. But, no matter what type of driving we do, these are the simple laws of physics. So, that's probably why Kia (and most automakers designing sport-oriented vehicles of this type) choose either RWD or rear-biased AWD. There are, of course, some exceptions....the FWD Ford Taurus SHO and Buick Regal GS.
Old 01-04-18, 10:00 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

IMO, after a few years, I'm expecting these to be a bargain e.g. the hyundai genesis coupe. used runs about $10-20K nowadays
Old 01-04-18, 10:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i like how on grand tour they just called it a "kia hatchback" to make it sound less cool. Like how I refer to my viper as a "used Dodge"
Old 01-04-18, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All else equal, most sporting-type drivers prefer a RWD set-up because it leaves the car, and the drivetrain, better-balanced. Any given set of tires has only so much available traction/grip....no matter what they are trying to do. In general, the less of the actual work that the front tires do in actually propelling the car, the more available grip and traction will be available to give this type of driver what he or she wants most....precise, responsive steering and more neutral handling (vs. understeer). Rear-engined cars used to have the opposite problem.....classic oversteer from all of the weight-bias in back making the tail slide out......but electronic traction-aids and better suspension/steering designs have tamed most of that.

I'm not saying this because I myself am an aggressive driver, or make a habit of driving that way.....I don't. But, no matter what type of driving we do, these are the simple laws of physics. So, that's probably why Kia (and most automakers designing sport-oriented vehicles of this type) choose either RWD or rear-biased AWD. There are, of course, some exceptions....the FWD Ford Taurus SHO and Buick Regal GS.
Not true. ^^^ lots of false info. AWD is now preferred.
Old 01-04-18, 10:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not true. ^^^ lots of false info. AWD is now preferred.
Depends on the individual, I personally prefer RWD over AWD.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger