Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW to unleash 26 M Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 01:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Sweet, my understanding is you won't be using your car down there, right, just picking it up? How do you get it home, just vary the speed all along? Do you guys still track the ship? I got a kick out of that back in Nov 2006. It was amazing how we all knew exactly where the ship and our cars were. But once it reached Jersey City, all bets were off and only the dealership knew.....in some way I'm still determined to get an M, a real one, but it's soooooooooooooo far away
The PCD is definitely pretty nice - i will post a thread with pics on Bimmerpost and may do one here as well.

They give you the exact car you ordered and basically let you abuse it on the track. Activities include:
1)Wet Skidpad = turnoff traction and enjoy 360degree drifts, crazy fun!
2) Braking exercise
3) Autocross on track - pretty much go all out if you want
4) Instructor takes you on a Hot Lap lol - this was epic

In addition they take you on the Xdrive experience - put you in X5 and take you through a bunch of obstacle courses.
You go through 3-4feet of water, up/down steep hills, and drive over huge rocks with the goal of putting the SUV on 3 wheels. This was pretty scary, i thought i was gonna flip the whole time.

I feel bad for whoever buys these cars used, bec they do get reconditioned and sold.

As far as tracking the build - BMW has a "My BMW" section on their website. Once you have a production # you can track the car from start to finish. They also have 1-800 # that you can call for updates.

Trip home was about 750 miles so that sucks, but the car is really easy to drive fast with just crazy power at any speed. Kept it under 100mph, fluctuating between 60-85 and under 4k rpms. I was at over 90mph, took my hands off the wheel and the car just goes solid not even a hint of vibration on the steering wheel, this is what autobahn engineering does for these cars.
The handling and steering is just awesome with CP but it does ride harsher than my 2016 M3 car that had passive suspension and 19s. CP has active susp and 20s.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-10-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 02:43 AM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But of course, they need to compete with the onslaught of Mercedes-AMG cars. I have never seen so many AMG's in my life. I work at a hospital and most of the doctors and high paid nurses who couldnt tell you the difference between the amg and non amg models drive amgs.
Old 12-19-17, 09:35 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Where pray tell are all these Lexus models that didn't appeal to the geriatrics department that are no longer around "these days"? As somebody who has been a Lexus customer and fan for 20 years almost at this point...we have way more exciting enthusiast aimed Lexus models now than we ever did before. In fact, I may very well be leaving the brand because the cars are getting too sporty.

I think the bottom line is, Lexus doesn't have to do everything BMW does in order to be successful. I wish Lexus would stay true to Lexus and find their own way,.

I couldn't give two diddly farts about M cars. I wouldn't even want to ride in one someplace, let alone buy one. If you do...then buy an M Car. I don't understand why people want Lexus to be BMW. Why not just buy a BMW?!
This! This all day yes!!! With the improvements Hyundai have made in the last 5 years, they're more old Lexus than Lexus is right now.

It's fine that Lexus is trying to gain new younger buyers but there's no need to put a sport **** on the ES...That's why you have the GS and/or F Sport options on cars.

Last edited by huy33; 12-19-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-19-17, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

statistics don't lie. avg age of lexus owners were getting so old and it was becoming a serious problem, and to appeal to young buyers having soft and plush cars isn't really the way to go. i am not saying that every car has to be sporty, but having sports department and also more successful entry level vehicles will help attract "initial" young buyers and then you have the chance to build loyalty among them.
Old 12-20-17, 04:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why is there such enormous bloat in BMWs lineup. If you want to see it in its entirety search by BMW vehicles at tirerack, its like a phonebook trying to select your model of vehicle
Old 12-20-17, 07:02 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

They are exploiting every niche they can find or create, serving an incredible swath of potential customer preferences

Some would call it leadership in the industry

In comparison, one of the ongoing beefs with Lexus is the limited line up and some uncompetitive offerings (ex GS-F)
Old 12-20-17, 07:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
They are exploiting every niche they can find or create, serving an incredible swath of potential customer preferences

Some would call it leadership in the industry

In comparison, one of the ongoing beefs with Lexus is the limited line up and some uncompetitive offerings (ex GS-F)
100% agree. I see nothing wrong with what BMW is doing. The Lexus F series while I'm glad they have it was not what I expected as far as competing.
Old 12-20-17, 07:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

really, people are clamouring for an M version for every car variant they have? Cant imagine what their production logistics is going to be like. How can it be lean with all these combinations? I guess it makes sense when you look at their customer base who mainly cares about vanity.
Old 12-20-17, 07:23 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Lean comes when your growth is not there and you need to improve margins

you will never know if there is a niche to exploit until you drop a product in it and see how the market acceptance goes

would you rather just burp out gray on black RX 350s all day or some interesting variants of interesting vehicles (ex. M6 Gran Sport)?
Old 12-20-17, 07:56 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Some of these will be one or two year only tests. You’ll either end up with a flop or an icon.
Old 12-20-17, 12:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Can't believe there are people complaining about having MORE choices in models and options to choose from.

Look at the Porsche 911 - there are a zillion versions (coupe, targa, conv, RWD, AWD, manual, PDK etc) and forget about options lol.
This is what LUXURY is all about.

Most people love to custom order and spec their cars to the last detail. Its part of what makes buying a new car such a fun experience. You want a bright green or purple or whatever exterior color - they can do it. You want a custom interior with deviated stitching in gold - sure no problem.
BMW is one of the best in that regard to this plus their European Delivery and Performance Delivery programs are amazing.

There are also higher tier of M cars coming (CS) versions on top of the CompPack cars. So far M4CS, M3CS and M2CS have been confirmed.
Old 12-20-17, 05:04 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. The more choices the better! Why not if they can support that type of production.

Look at this: AMG accounts for 10% of MB sales! It may account for why BMW is going M crazy and so is Audi with their Sport models.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...edes-u-s-sales

Yes, this accounts for the AMG43, or AMG-lite (or whatever you want to call it). But, this isn't ANYTHING like Lexus F-Sport simply because even the AMG-lites have much faster engines. F sport is a dumb badge, body kit and maybe different suspension, but NOTHING that makes it go faster; it's the exact same dinosaur, slow, overrated engine as that's all Lexus and Toyota can seemingly produce these days. In fact, even AMG-lite is way ahead of Lexus Type F imo.
Old 12-20-17, 06:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i agree, the more choices the better!
Old 12-20-17, 11:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well, maybe Lexus is content to revolve around geriatrics and other old at heart types. It’s obviously what they want because they haven’t done anything to change that other than put on a mad scowl grille.

Only time will tell if it’s the right move...although their sales tally isn’t helping.
Sales aren't doing well in sedans and thats industry wide, did you not get the memo?

Buyers are welcoming the Lexus spindle, in fact aggressive is selling and thats why Lexus is continuing the trend. Last year's F-sports looks like next year's base model and they do it for a reason.

Lexus is a top tier luxury brand, plain and simple. Audi wish they had Lexus' sales power and BMW is losing sleep wondering if they will be second or third this year.

The world does not revolve around your specific buying preferences, as much as you think it does...
Old 12-21-17, 12:12 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO, the lack of technology hurts Lexus among younger buyers far more than the performance qualities.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No more 7-speed M-DCT??? Ha! Another example of the Germans adopting Auto and dropping DCT.
I've said for years that dual clutch is totally overrated. Now, it's clear that even as far as performance vehicles go, few will use it.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
The only downside is that will this move diminish the M line similar to the hollowing out of the AMG line as Mercedes greatly expanded its performance lineup?

I personally don’t think so but the risk is there. I have no problem with the 43s as I would rather have that than the non AMG one, although the 63s are the way to go.
The problem with AMG is introducing all the 43s (and now 53s) - that's what dilutes the brand. AMGs in badge only.

Quick Reply: BMW to unleash 26 M Cars