Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I expecting too much from Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 03:10 PM
sbenmaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Am I expecting too much from Lexus?

My mother bought a brand new Lexus 350 about 10 years ago from Hendrick's Lexus of Charleston and has been nothing but thrilled with it, UNTIL NOW. It has only 41k miles on it. The airbag sensor is broken and Lexus no longer makes the part. They told us (in writing) that the vehicle is not safe to drive, and suggested we donate it to charity or trade it in (what do they do with an unsafe trade-in?). Unhappy with that response I went to their corporate office who spent a month trying to locate the part - unsuccessfully. They said I could get it fixed by a 3rd party but when I tried, nobody will touch it because of liability. Lexus is not willing to fix it with a used part. I would expect Lexus to make this right - provide another vehicle or some sort of compensation, but I was told because the car is no longer under warranty they will not. Really? isn't this Lexus we're talking about? I would expect them to stand behind their name. Am I expecting too much?
Old 11-29-17, 03:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

sorry to hear/read, but car makers have no obligation outside warranty and certainly not to "provide another vehicle or some sort of compensation" (dream on ), so yes, you're expecting too much. i'd suggest finding the sensor on a junk yard car?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-29-17 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Check your Owners' Manual (I couldn't check it for you, because you did not say what specific model of Lexus she owns). Back then, a number of air-bag, hybrid, and emission components, by Federal Law, had warranties of up to ten years or even more in some cases....regardless of the manufacturer's warranty on the rest of the vehicle. Of course, since we are around ten years from the original purchase date, her car may or may not still be covered, depending on the specific date of sale. Also, if my memory is correct, the law at that time required that replacement-parts for those components (if still applicable) be available for the 10 years.

Of course, the law may have been changed since then....but if so, I'm not aware of it.
Old 11-29-17, 03:48 PM
sbenmaman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. It's a 2007 ES 350.

​​
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

Check your Owners' Manual (I couldn't check it for you, because you did not say what specific model of Lexus she owns). Back then, a number of air-bag, hybrid, and emission components, by Federal Law, had warranties of up to ten years or even more in some cases....regardless of the manufacturer's warranty on the rest of the vehicle. Of course, since we are around ten years from the original purchase date, her car may or may not still be covered, depending on the specific date of sale. Also, if my memory is correct, the law at that time required that replacement-parts for those components (if still applicable) be available for the 10 years.

Of course, the law may have been changed since then....but if so, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-30-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 04:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Find a pick and pull with a working sensor?
Old 11-29-17, 04:12 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

+1 on the junk yard
Old 11-29-17, 04:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sorry to hear/read, but car makers have no obligation outside warranty and certainly not to "provide another vehicle or some sort of compensation" (dream on ), so yes, you're expecting too much. i'd suggest finding the sensor on a junk yard car?
Not expecting too much. The car is ten years old.
Old 11-29-17, 04:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sbenmaman
My mother bought a brand new Lexus 350 about 10 years ago from Hendrick's Lexus of Charleston and has been nothing but thrilled with it, UNTIL NOW. It has only 41k miles on it. The airbag sensor is broken and Lexus no longer makes the part. They told us (in writing) that the vehicle is not safe to drive, and suggested we donate it to charity or trade it in (what do they do with an unsafe trade-in?). Unhappy with that response I went to their corporate office who spent a month trying to locate the part - unsuccessfully. They said I could get it fixed by a 3rd party but when I tried, nobody will touch it because of liability. Lexus is not willing to fix it with a used part. I would expect Lexus to make this right - provide another vehicle or some sort of compensation, but I was told because the car is no longer under warranty they will not. Really? isn't this Lexus we're talking about? I would expect them to stand behind their name. Am I expecting too much?
Have you gone to another Lexus dealer? Or maybe a Toyota dealer?

Hows does one know it is the sensor?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 04:19 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Might try approaching an independent body shop as they are routinely challenged to find not easy to get parts.... They typically have a network of sources when OEM or new parts are not available.
Old 11-29-17, 04:32 PM
sbenmaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you gone to another Lexus dealer? Or maybe a Toyota dealer?

Hows does one know it is the sensor?
They diagnosed it after a lot of troubleshooting when the light showed there was an issue.
Old 11-29-17, 04:37 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

It seems to be a pretty common problem with the 07 es350. There's tsb's on it, and many complaints to the NHTSA. I'm surprised three hasn't been a recall with the amount of information about this on the web.
Old 11-29-17, 04:46 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get rid of it and get something else and chalk it up as hard lesson learned.

Frankly, if this happened to me, I would be infuriated never consider Lexus ever again.

I've never heard of anything like this before, not least of which for a car that isn't even that old and from a brand that is supposedly steeped in "reliability" and prides itself in "quality."
Old 11-29-17, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sbenmaman
They diagnosed it after a lot of troubleshooting when the light showed there was an issue.
Curous to know if a 07 Camry part would work? DIY Toyota website lets you cross search parts.
Old 11-29-17, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

10 years old, Lexus isn't going to be fixing anything for free nor should they.

HOWEVER, I highly doubt this part is no longer made. I would take it to another dealer. I have no problem getting parts for our much older 2003 ES300.

Have they told you specifically what part is the issue?

That particular car is involved in the Takata airbag fiasco I believe...might explain why nobody wants to touch it.
Old 11-29-17, 05:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

What part exactly does the car need? Got a part number?

Quick Reply: Am I expecting too much from Lexus?