Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S.-spec 2018 Hyundai Kona

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 05:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Apples and oranges. Unless some very recent changes have been made that I am not aware of, Volt is an extended-range hybrid....Bolt, a pure-electric, battery-only.
that's the same thing. Volt and Ioniq are extended-range hybrid sedan/hatches and the Bolt and Kona are pure EV..

And if its apples and oranges then there is little overlap, since one has the ability to sip gas despite both being able to be plugged in.

Hence they can co-exist
Old 02-09-18, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I think it's Elon who should be worried. He's still waiting for his German automation equipment to come over to Freemont and wants you to look at his Roadster in space. I really like the Model 3, but fit/finish issues are holding up production. This is stuff that all the major automakers do in their sleep, Hyundai/Kia included.
Agreed. This is not going to help Tesla's problems. And fit/finish is one area that Hyundai and Kia have really gotten down pat......as good, if not better, than anything else in their class.
Old 02-09-18, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
that's the same thing. Volt and Ioniq are extended-range hybrid sedan/hatches and the Bolt and Kona are pure EV..

And if its apples and oranges then there is little overlap, since one has the ability to sip gas despite both being able to be plugged in.

Hence they can co-exist

OK.....I partly see what you are getting at. There is, in fact, an all-electric Ioniq that would have a hard time co-existing with a Kona all-electric, but that Ioniq EV is only available in CA. So, in the other states, it would not be a factor. I did not notice, at first, that the Ioniq electric was only for CA....but that's sometimes the case with pure electrics, because of CA's good infrastructure-program for them.
Old 02-09-18, 06:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll be surprised, though, if Hyundai actually releases a full-electric version of the Kona in the U.S. It would (likely) compete too closely with Hyundai's own all-electric Ioniq coming up.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq-electric/
Why not? The Kona is a crossover and the Ioniq is a car. Small crossovers are outselling small cars right now. Better to have both crossover and car than to be caught with their pants down.
Old 02-09-18, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Why not? The Kona is a crossover and the Ioniq is a car. Small crossovers are outselling small cars right now. Better to have both crossover and car than to be caught with their pants down.

Well, we'll see. You might be right. There are about the same size, but the Kona does, as you infer, have a ground-clearance advantage.
Old 02-09-18, 07:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ It also has a useable interior space advantage for people who need that, especially a younger family with a child or two who need to commute short distances. The Ioniq is likely aimed at single or dual commuters who just need range etc. It's just a market segment strategy, just like Lexus customers can have an ES or they can opt for an RX. Both of these come in regular or hybrid. The electric thing is just a way for Hyundai/Kia to get ahead of a potential electric surge.
Old 02-28-18, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Default Hyundai Kona Electric SUV revealed

The Hyundai Kona Electric looks like its hybrid siblings, with the biggest visual difference up front, with its closed grille. That's also where the car's plug resides. It features LED daytime running lights above its LED headlights. The Kona Electric offers a two-tone roof, and seven different exterior paint color offerings.

On paper, at least, the Kona Electric is pretty compelling. The long-range, 292-mile version features a 64-kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack supplying power to a 150-kW (201-horsepower) electric motor. It does 0-62 miles per hour in a respectable 7.6 seconds, with a top speed of 103 mph. The base version's 39-kWh battery offers 186 miles of driving range, and a 99-kW (133-horsepower) electric motor. It does 0-62 in a more leisurely 9.3 seconds.

Inside the car, the Kona Electric features a pair of paddle shifters behind the steering wheel that allow the driver to dial in the preferred amount of regenerative braking force. A seven-inch digital display in the instrument cluster is accompanied by a head-up display providing key information directly in front of the driver. The car's infotainment system features Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and wireless phone charging.

The Kona Electric offers a number of driver assist features for safety and convenience. These include forward collision avoidance with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning, rear cross-traffic alert, lane-keeping assist, intelligent speed limit warning and smart high. It also offers smart cruise control with stop-and-go capability to make those traffic jams a little more bearable.
Source
Old 03-01-18, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,396 Posts

292 mi range!

looks GREAT too.
Old 03-01-18, 09:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
292 mi range!

looks GREAT too.
+1, and 'Arriving this spring starting at $19,500 MSRP'
Old 03-01-18, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Exterior looks good. Transmission gear buttons look whack.
Old 03-01-18, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We sat in the Kona at the Toronto Auto Show. I think they had four of them. There were very cheaply built on the inside. The tablet idea is not very classy on the model. I should note it did not look like Hoovey's pic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-18 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 01:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We sat in the Kona at the Toronto Auto Show. I think they had four of them. There were very cheaply built on the inside. The tablet idea is not very classy on the model. I should not, it did not look like Hoovey's pic
the whole tablet idea is to keep your eyes up, level with the road to be safer then looking way down on the center stack.

Old 03-01-18, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
the whole tablet idea is to keep your eyes up, level with the road to be safer then looking way down on the center stack.

This would be it. It was pretty pathetic on the inside. The tablet was not classy because it felt really cheap. Pretty sure they were all base models, so that did not help on impressions.
Old 03-01-18, 02:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This would be it. It was pretty pathetic on the inside. The tablet was not classy because it felt really cheap. Pretty sure they were all base models, so that did not help on impressions.
also note-- Hoovey's image is from the EV model...differernt cluster and HVAC controls as well.

Old 06-03-18, 05:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Bringing this thread back... I have been seeing the Kona all over South Florida. It seems they're really a hit with the younger crowd down here. I like the overall look of it but one thing that I didn't realize is how ugly the headlight/taillight area is. The black plastic on the wheel arches extend around the light cluster and looks pretty terrible. The separate light cluster was enough of a radical styling cue, and surrounding it in ugly black plastic accentuates it unflatteringly.

Quick Reply: U.S.-spec 2018 Hyundai Kona