Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus (replaces MKX)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think you can call it stupid, although it is admittedly too early to say for sure......time will tell. Lincoln's Alphabet-Soup nomenclature is part of what got them into this mess, even though, admittedly, the Continental hasn't sold in very big numbers.
Its a bad decision. (Changed out of respect for bad language)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-17 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not confusing at all. MKC o me MKX. What is the big issue?
You or I (or some others on Car Chat) might not personally find it confusing, but it is widely-criticized by many others...even in Lincoln forums.
Old 11-29-17, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

When they realize that changing their name of this car has no affect on sales, they will bring back the letters. Stupid Lincoln decision
Disagree. The more CUVs they add, refresh, and redesign, the more sales they'll have.
Old 11-29-17, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its a stupid decision.
OK.....each to his (or her) own.
Old 11-29-17, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Disagree. The more CUVs they add, refresh, and redesign, the more sales they'll have.
Not only that, but the compact MKC is going to have some stiff competiton in another year or so, when Cadillac's new compact XT3 (XT4?) hits the market. We'll see if either Lincoln or Cadillac (or both LOL) end up changing the names.
Old 11-29-17, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Not only that, but the compact MKC is going to have some stiff competiton in another year or so, when Cadillac's new compact XT3 (XT4?) hits the market. We'll see if either Lincoln or Cadillac (or both LOL) end up changing the names.
The first generation MKC that we know debuted as a MY15. We could potentially see a name change when the refresh happens, or they could wait until it's redesign. But the MKT's days will be numbered with the Explorer based Aviator making it's way back in the next few years.
Old 11-29-17, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
. But the MKT's days will be numbered with the Explorer based Aviator making it's way back in the next few years.
The MKT, which is done on the big Ford Flex platform, is significantly larger than what I understand, at least, the Aviator is going to be, size-wise.

(But, I could be wrong on that, as the Explorer itself is a pretty good-size platform)
Old 11-29-17, 04:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason car manufacturers and their promotion and marketing departments always seem to be doing some sort of consumer experiment when sales are in flux. You'll Lexus use the alphabet soup on its cars and SUVs. RX, ES, LS, CT, NX. Toyota OTH, sticks to Camry, Corolla, 4Runner, Highlander, Sequoia, Tundra etc. Why? Because you don't want to keep shifting the sand under your dedicated buyers. They recognize those names instantly.

Ford similarly never tampers with its mass market names. Ford Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Fusion. But boy, you go upscale to the luxury side and now you apparently magically run out of vowels and consonants. Now we have to "decode" what it is because making stuff more confusing is more interesting. The only exception is the Ford F150 which is an iconic name going back decades.
Old 11-29-17, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, we've gone back and forth for almost two pages about the name. Anybody got any other comments?...I'll add one.

I think Lincoln's really got a winner with that beautiful Continental/Jaguar style grille. This is the fifth Lincoln vehicle we've now seen it on, counting the latest Navigator and MKC. It's obviously going to be the look of Lincoln's future....and, IMO, a classy one.

I'm a little less-thrilled with this latest Nautilus interior, though. The last MKX I tested, a couple of years ago (Remember, Jill...the one you couldn't believe ran 60K fully-loaded?) had at least some wood or wood-tone paneling in it. While Lincoln is certainly using nice materials inside now (and that was certainly evident on the MKX I drove), I'm a firm believer in either wood or wood-tone, especially for a vehicle in this class. The article said that there was some wood-trim on the console, but I don't see any in the image.

Inside, there's dark-stained wood trim on the console and minimal controls,
Of course, what is in the image may not be the final production interior, either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-17 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 04:54 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

They've got a winner with the exterior design, however, the interior doesn't look up to par for an SUV that will probably be $45k+. Too much plastic. The 2018 Ford Edge has more embellishment inside.
Old 11-29-17, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

The MKT, which is done on the big Ford Flex platform, is significantly larger than what I understand, at least, the Aviator is going to be, size-wise.

(But, I could be wrong on that, as the Explorer itself is a pretty good-size platform)
Which is related to the Explorer

The Flex has about a 5-inch stretch in the wheelbase, but is a cousin of the Explorer. Much like the Taurus, Taurus X, MKS, MKT are too.
Old 11-29-17, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I like the refresh. I also like the return to names, although I agree the back and forth is bizarre and reeks of desperation.

Lincoln-Mercury has indeed used similar-sounding names in the past (before the Mercury Division was dropped). I'm sure you folks remember the Mercury Villager Nautica from the mid-late 1990s. It was a sharp-looking Navy-Blue/white/gold trim package for the regular Villager minivan.

You do know that the "Nautica" trim of the Villager was cobranding with the Nautica clotheswear company right? Wasn't a name Ford came up with. Same sort of thing as the Eddie Bauer Explorers.

It wasn't gold trim, it was yellow because Nautica's signature colors were/are navy, white and yellow.

Mediocre midrange clothing brand trying to look like something better than it is...a match made in heaven for Mercury lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-29-17 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I like the refresh. I also like the return to names, although I agree the back and forth is bizarre and reeks of desperation.

You do know that the "Nautica" trim of the Villager was cobranding with the Nautica clotheswear company right? Wasn't a name Ford came up with. Same sort of thing as the Eddie Bauer Explorers.

It wasn't gold trim, it was yellow because Nautica's signature colors were/are navy, white and yellow.

Mediocre midrange clothing brand trying to look like something better than it is...a match made in heaven for Mercury lol

All that is fine, but, no matter where it came it was still a name sold on a Mercury vehicle starting with Nau....that was the point I was making. And yellow is often called "gold" depending on exactly what shade it is. I'll admit, though, that what some auto manufacturers call gold, in exterior paint, is actually a somewhat unattractive (IMO) tan or beige-shade...certainly not what I'd call gold.

I remember when I first saw the Villager Nautica at the D.C. auto show, I thought it was one of the nicest-looking trim-packages there. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to sell very well (only saw a couple of them on the road).....I guess most people don't get a minivan to show off trim-packages.
Old 11-29-17, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

So the answer is no, you didn't know that.

Your point made no sense because it wasn't a name that Ford came up with, Nautica is a brand that they partnered with. The color is yellow, not gold because yellow is Nautica's signature color. Nautica was big at the time. It was bright, primary yellow. Yellow and gold are different colors.

As you can see, the trim is clearly yellow, bright yellow and not gold:

The decision to use this name obviously had nothing to do with an obscure one or two year trim level on a forgotten minivan sold under a marque that no longer exists.

You know its not a sign of weakness to admit when you don't know something from time to time.

The name "Nautilus" makes perfect sense for Lincoln to use, fits their feel and brand fine.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-29-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As you can see, the trim is clearly yellow, bright yellow and not gold:

You know its not a sign of weakness to admit when you don't know something from time to time.
IMO, it is a weakness itself when two grown adults are arguing over what is considered yellow and what is gold...as you say, on a 20-year-old minivan. That's all I have to say on this subject. Besides, as I pointed out above, the better part of two pages was spent (not just by myself, but a number of posters) on just the name. As far as I'm concerned....time to move on to something else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-17 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lincoln Nautilus (replaces MKX)