Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 BMW i8 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 BMW i8 Roadster

The 2019 BMW i8 Roadster was shown to the world for the first time today at the LA Auto Show. In fact, BMWwas so extremely intent on making sure everyone knows that it's the first time in recorded human history that there has been a BMW i8 Roadster, it used the (redundant) term "first-ever" 29 times in the 10-page press release. So, although the i8 Coupe has been on sale since 2014, just so we're crystal clear, there has never been a convertible version before. Cool? We get it? Great, moving on.

The electrically operated soft-top roof opens and closes in less than 16 seconds, folding in three segments into a vertically oriented 'Z' and uniquely stowing behind the passenger compartment in a perpendicular position. That, in addition to a 3.5-cubic-foot storage area takes the place of the Coupe's +2 back seats. We can't imagine anyone will miss them. The 4.7 cu.-ft. trunk is untouched.

Similar to the outgoing BMW 6 Series, the rear window is separate from the convertible roof, allowing it to act as a wind deflector when raised. It automatically does so by about 2 inches when the roof is lowered, but the driver can alter its height to adjust air flow as desired.

The roof itself is also noteworthy for its construction, much like the entire carbon-fiber-extensive i8. The aluminum elements that connect the roof to the body are produced using a 3D printing process. According to BMW, this breaks new ground in the automotive industry, allowing "the topologically optimized bracing to be produced in geometric form, which would not be possible using conventional casting techniques and ensures an optimal balance between component rigidity and weight." Nifty.

In total, the i8 Roadster weighs 3,513 pounds - 132 more than the i8 Coupe.

Yet, the 2019 i8 news doesn't end with the addition of the convertible. Both body styles have been updated with an updated lithium-ion battery pack. Battery cell capacity is up from 20 to 34 ampere hours and gross energy capacity has been raised considerably from 7.1 kilowatt hours to 11.6. The result is a bump in the electric motor's output to 141 horsepower (up 12 hp) and the ability to more greatly rely on electric power while under way. Preliminary figures peg all-electric range at 18 miles (up from 15) and it can now reach 65 mph without the use of its gasoline three-cylinder engine.

Speaking of its old-fangled propulsion unit, that 228-hp turbo three-pot has been updated to sound a bit better and generate lower emissions. Altogether, BMW says the i8 Coupe will hit 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, while the i8 Roadster will do it in 4.4.

Other updates include new E-Copper and Donnington Grey exterior paint colors, and a new Tera World Copper interior trim (pictured above) described as a "high-end option featuring cloth/leather upholstery in an Amido/E-Copper color scheme." You know, Amido, like "my son's favorite color is Amido." There's no word if that's the first-ever use of it in the automotive industry.

Sales of both the 2019 BMW i8 Roadster and Coupe will begin in Spring 2018, with pricing announced closer to launch.
Source
Old 11-29-17, 11:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

A 3 cylinder 100K plus "exotic". I can't believe people actually spend so much on these.
Old 11-29-17, 11:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
A 3 cylinder 100K plus "exotic". I can't believe people actually spend so much on these.
Does the ICE power the car or is it only used as a range extender, only recharge the battery without driving the car? If it is meant only as a range extender, that's the way to go, in my opinion -- keep the heavy ICE range extender as small and as light as possible.
Old 11-29-17, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
A 3 cylinder 150K plus "exotic". I can't believe people actually spend so much on these.
It's the sole reason I cannot take this 'halo' seriously.

Originally Posted by Sulu
Does the ICE power the car or is it only used as a range extender, only recharge the battery without driving the car? If it is meant only as a range extender, that's the way to go, in my opinion -- keep the heavy ICE range extender as small and as light as possible.
Folks complain that the new LS has no V8, the Ford GT has a six cyclinder, and yet.. the i8 has a lawn mower engine in it and gets a pass. Blows my mind. Power of a badge.
Old 11-29-17, 01:01 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This car despite having a tiny engine is actually pretty quick. I've driven one extensively, and it moves well. Hardest thing is getting in and out of it. Not a bad car for the used prices they sell for but not at $150k. The one I drive has a sticker of $162k....Yes no...
Old 11-29-17, 02:47 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Folks complain that the new LS has no V8, the Ford GT has a six cyclinder, and yet.. the i8 has a lawn mower engine in it and gets a pass. Blows my mind. Power of a badge.
German turbocharged engines get a pass, it seems. Toyota engines are always bad.
Old 11-29-17, 03:05 PM
Hoovey689

German turbocharged engines get a pass, it seems. Toyota engines are always bad.
It's all in a name and badge. But hey if some folks want to buy a an electric BMW supercar with a hyped up Mini cooper 3-cylinder (partly joking hah) then go for it. If I was looking for a something similar in that class, NSX all the way.

2.0T is nothing special. But 2JZ-GTE was bad?
Old 11-29-17, 03:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

It's all in a name and badge. But hey if some folks want to buy a an electric BMW supercar with a hyped up Mini cooper 3-cylinder (partly joking hah) then go for it. If I was looking for a something similar in that class, NSX all the way.

Im not a fan of the i8 but you are really not giving it any credit for its Epic design, Carbon Fiber platform, and the fact that it was the first affordable performance hybrid costing 10% of McLaren P1 or Porsche 918.

The NSX and the i8 are geared for different customer base.
NSX is for the track and enthusiast crowd, i8 is for techies and cool factor.

I suggest you drive one first.
Second take an NSX and i8 to a parking lot - i guarantee you the i8 will get a lot more attention from general public.
Old 11-29-17, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Im not a fan of the i8 but you are really not giving it any credit for its Epic design, Carbon Fiber platform, and the fact that it was the first affordable performance hybrid costing 10% of McLaren P1 or Porsche 918.
Neither am I because of the 3-cylinder period. The rest is inherent and props to them, I'm not disputing that. Simply the ICE is my issue.

The NSX and the i8 are geared for different customer base.
NSX is for the track and enthusiast crowd, i8 is for techies and cool factor.
Eh if someone gave $150k and the choice between the two, I'm going for the NSX. Doesn't mean I'd be wrong, just like you picking the i8 doesn't mean you're right. To each their own.

NSX isn't cool? Our fellow member S2000toIS350 would probably dispute this.

I suggest you drive one first.
Second take an NSX and i8 to a parking lot - i guarantee you the i8 will get a lot more attention from general public.
I've sat in them, seen them drive. i8 doesn't do much for me (nor do current BMWs in general, I'd prefer an Audi, Benz, or Porsche if I chose a German car).

I don't really care about attention from the public. Get away from my car! *parks far away in the parking lot*
Old 11-29-17, 06:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

What I was trying to say is that turbocharged engines with a certain (European / German) name and badge get a pass (as you said) in this forum but any new Toyota / Lexus engines are intensely panned.

I just read that the i8 uses the ICE to drive the car when the battery charge runs low. I don't like that either but I guess BMW wanted the smallest, lightest engine available. No one makes a small 6-cylinder engine anymore.

Last edited by Sulu; 11-29-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 06:41 PM
Hoovey689

What I was trying to say is that turbocharged engines with a certain (European / German) name and badge get a pass (as you said) in this forum but any new Toyota / Lexus engines are intensely panned.

I just read that the i8 uses the ICE to drive the car when the battery charge runs low. I don't like that either but I guess BMW wanted the smallest, lightest engine available. No one makes a small 6-cylinder engine anymore.
Got it, slow on the uptake

Porsche has the 2.9L TT V6, Ford has the 2.7L TT V6. In terms of small displacement V6's. BMW could have made a unique and bespoke engine to the i8 rather than deriving and modifying one from the Mini range.
Old 02-14-18, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Default BMW prices the new i8 Roadster at $163,300

The most expensive BMW car sold in the United States? That'll be the new BMW i8 Roadster, with a starting price of $163,300, some $20k up from the coupe. The open-top hybrid specialty will be available in March.

The i8 Roadster debuted together with the updated coupe in late November. The original i8 was unveiled all the way back in 2014, but it took this long for the Roadster to join the ranks. It has an electric folding top that takes less than 16 seconds to strut its stuff, stowing itself where the 2+2 rear seats of the coupe once were. You can operate the top on the go at speeds up to 31 mph. There are noteworthy features about the top other than the folding mechanism and the fact that the rear window works as a wind deflector; the construction of the roof panel involves aluminum bracing created via 3D printing.

The Roadster weighs 132 pounds more than the coupe, but BMW says there isn't a performance drawback — 60 mph is reached in 4.2 seconds with the 1.5-liter turbo three and its electric motor companion, putting out 228horsepower and 236 lb-ft, with a separate 141 hp/184 lb-ft electric motor for the front wheels.

If you're going for the base model, there's what BMW calls E-Copper leather, 20-inch two-tone wheels, HUD and heated seats, so it's not like you have to live with stuffy cloth, plastic hubcaps, wind-up windows and cassette radio. (Just kidding, those are probably reserved for the Scandinavia-only thrift special.) Base colors are the E-Copper, Sophisto Grey and Donington Grey, but there are $1,800 special colors available. Options range from a $2,500 brake package to Laserlight headlights ($6,300).
Source
Old 02-14-18, 09:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

All that swoopy and exotic styling on the side and rear, but a generic, mainstream BMW sedan front clip? Fail.
Old 02-15-18, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Color's gorgeous. Wish more automakers would adopt it.