Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't get a good deal on a Miata? Try the Fiat 124 Spider.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Can't get a good deal on a Miata? Try the Fiat 124 Spider.

It's no secret to say that the Mazda Miata is one of the most successful, if not THE most successful open-top roadster in history. Ever since its July 1989 introduction to the American market, it has won the hearts and souls of those who loved the driving dynamics of the old 50s/60s vintage British open-top roadsters, but hated the leaky side-curtains, junk-quality gaskets/seals, Lucas electrical systems that shorted out every time you flipped a switch, constant carb/ignition adjustments, and the seemingly endless list of other problems that accompanied the typical ownership. (those of you who frequented Peter Egan's former Side-Glance column in Road and Track magazine could get a glimpse of what those problems were like, as Egan was always on some kind of rebuilding/restoration-project with them). The Miata accomplished what thousands, if not millions were waiting for.....British old-school charm and open-roadster fun combined with modern Japanese reliability. In addition, the Miata's ingeniously simple manual top-raising/lowering hardware made the car even more appealing.....I've described that mechanism in detail in other threads, and won't go into it again here.

So, of course, the car's success is unquestioned....but, like with Toyota and Honda products of the 1980s that were a seller's market for dealerships, Mazda dealers could (and sometimes did) profiteer on the Miata from its popularity, appeal, and supply/demand situation, particularly on the Special-production versions. If you, as a potential new Miata buyer/owner, are working with a dealership that still has its mind back in those days, and won't budge on the figures (or at least not to your liking), you may (?) now have a good alternative....the Fiat 124 Spider. Unlike other American-market Fiats, which have reliability ratings not far from those of the old British sports-cars (yes, I'm exaggerating LOL, but you get the picture).......the Spider is essentially a Japanese-designed Miata with some differenced in trim/styling and with an Italian Fiat-sourced turbo power plant. So, while the engine itself may not be as reliable as the Miata's in the long run, the rest of the car is likely to be. Not only that, but, though styling is subjective, I think the Spider looks significantly better than the Miata, particularly in the front end. Prices for the Spider start just under 25K....almost exactly where the Miata base price does.

https://www.fiatusa.com/spider.html

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mx-5-miata

As with any vehicle, though, there are (admittedly) some drawbacks to the Spider compared to the Miata. First, of course, is the possibility of a (less-reliable) engine. Second, the Fiat dealer network, having been the U.S. for only seven or eight years, is much sparser than Mazda's......you might have to travel some distance to actually reach one, though there is one only a couple of miles from my own house. Third, Spiders aren't always as readily in stock as, say, the Fiat 500s and 500L stable-mates, so you may have less of them on the lot to choose from.

Still, for at least some potential Miata shoppers, under the right conditions, it could (?) be a good credible alternative. A number of large auto shows are coming up in the next few months....Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Chicago, and Baltimore, and Fiat will probably display the Spider at all them.

And, as always, Happy car-Shopping.

MM
Old 11-28-17, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

When I helped my friend buy a Miata, it was the exact opposite. Easy to get a good deal on a Miata, impossible on the 124 and there was a 6 month wait for a manual.
Old 11-28-17, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When I helped my friend buy a Miata, it was the exact opposite. Easy to get a good deal on a Miata, impossible on the 124 and there was a 6 month wait for a manual.

Yes, no doubt that will be the case for some Miata buyers. This thread, obviously, is for those where it isn't. And, come to think of it, the last time I did a Miata review or write-up, three-pedal manuals weren't very easy to find on the Mazda lots, either....they often sold as soon as they rolled off the truck.

Normally, the notorious traffic in our area would pretty much dictate an automatic for most buyers....but the Miata seems to be one of those rare exceptions. Dense traffic or not, for enthusiasts, this car is simply out of place with a slush box. It's like a fish trying to swim out of water. The automatics, though, DO sell to some of the Miata owners who love the top-down driving fun, but still don't want to row their own gears. And, of course, for those who either don't want to use the simple manual top-fold system, cannot use it because of injury or disability, or want more roof-security for high-crime areas, an RF power-folding-hardtop version is offered that the Spider lacks.
Old 11-28-17, 10:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read reviews of the Fiat 124, and there is a lot of criticism directed towards that engine. Its rough, vibration prone, there is turbo lag, then when you pass 5000rpm or so it falls flat on its face. Maybe with some mods(ie more boost) it would be a bit more a sweehart(not to mention much faster), but stock vs stock they aren't any faster despite having more HP than the Miata engine. Plus I love the linear nature of the Miata engine, you have to rev the nuts off it, its smooth and sounds great while you do so.
Old 11-29-17, 01:01 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somehow I think the Miata is much better looking than the Fiat, specially in the hardtop version. The Fiat somehow looks longer and bloated, while Miata looks slick and minimalist.
Old 11-29-17, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've read reviews of the Fiat 124, and there is a lot of criticism directed towards that engine. Its rough, vibration prone, there is turbo lag, then when you pass 5000rpm or so it falls flat on its face. Maybe with some mods(ie more boost) it would be a bit more a sweehart(not to mention much faster), but stock vs stock they aren't any faster despite having more HP than the Miata engine. Plus I love the linear nature of the Miata engine, you have to rev the nuts off it, its smooth and sounds great while you do so.

Well, not only that, but the Fiat-sourced engine in the 124 is likely to not be as reliable as the Mazda-sourced engine in the Miata. Plus, you've got the added complexities of the turbo.
Old 11-29-17, 05:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Somehow I think the Miata is much better looking than the Fiat, specially in the hardtop version. The Fiat somehow looks longer and bloated, while Miata looks slick and minimalist.
Styling of course, is subjective. I certainly respect your view, but, to me, the biggest difference is in the front end. The Miata looks somewhat squinty and frumpy, where the Fiat, with its larger, more traditional-looking headlights gives it somewhat more style. The Italians, of course, are famous for their styling.
Old 11-29-17, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I had no problem finding a manual Miata when my friend was shopping. No problem at all.

Bottom line is having just done so myself, 124 is much harder to negotiate on than a Miata...your subject line doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-29-17, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I had no problem finding a manual Miata when my friend was shopping. No problem at all.

Bottom line is having just done so myself, 124 is much harder to negotiate on than a Miata...your subject line doesn't make any sense.

Not everyone has the same experiences......and I obviously can't make a separate thread for every Miata shopper on the planet. The point was that there is a credible alternative to the Miata (that, IMO, at least also looks better)....if one will accept the possibility of a more sparse dealer network and (possibly) a less-reliable engine.
Old 11-30-17, 10:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I'd also argue that if you can deal with having a used car and can afford maintenance on a Porsche, you can get a really nice 2007-2014ish Boxster with low miles for about the same price as a new Miata, maybe less. The Porsche is a great car, more power than the Miata, more prestige, more trunk space, quieter(insulated top) maybe a bit nicer interior depending on the year. Only downside is maintenance costs, find a good independent Porsche mechanic and research on the forums to see how much common issues/repairs cost. I know service costs can be high, but IMO Porsche is the most reliable german make, several orders better than BMW, VW, or Audi IMO.

Or if you really want to go for broke(and your budget can't swing a new Miata), I always have liked the styling on the 1st gen "Bangle" BMW Z4, 2003-2009 model years. Great driving cars, more power than the Miata with that sweet inline six engine. Way cheaper than a new Miata, but IMO reliability is questionable(might not leave you stranded, but could have lots of expensive problems) But that's not as much of an issue if its a second car that doesn't see a ton of miles IMO.
Old 12-01-17, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd also argue that if you can deal with having a used car and can afford maintenance on a Porsche, you can get a really nice 2007-2014ish Boxster with low miles for about the same price as a new Miata, maybe less. The Porsche is a great car, more power than the Miata, more prestige, more trunk space, quieter(insulated top) maybe a bit nicer interior depending on the year. Only downside is maintenance costs, find a good independent Porsche mechanic and research on the forums to see how much common issues/repairs cost. I know service costs can be high, but IMO Porsche is the most reliable german make, several orders better than BMW, VW, or Audi IMO.

Or if you really want to go for broke(and your budget can't swing a new Miata), I always have liked the styling on the 1st gen "Bangle" BMW Z4, 2003-2009 model years. Great driving cars, more power than the Miata with that sweet inline six engine. Way cheaper than a new Miata, but IMO reliability is questionable(might not leave you stranded, but could have lots of expensive problems) But that's not as much of an issue if its a second car that doesn't see a ton of miles IMO.
Agreed...if one is going to go the used-car route. But, while I respect your opinion, I am one of those who feel that there is simply nothing like a brand-new vehicle, and that owning one has a lot more advantages than just a new-car smell.
Old 12-01-17, 11:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...if one is going to go the used-car route. But, while I respect your opinion, I am one of those who feel that there is simply nothing like a brand-new vehicle, and that owning one has a lot more advantages than just a new-car smell.
I would hope so. "New car smell" is literally just industrial solvents that haven't yet dissipated.
Old 12-01-17, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I would hope so. "New car smell" is literally just industrial solvents that haven't yet dissipated.
Call it whatever you want......it's still nice.
Old 12-01-17, 07:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Call it whatever you want......it's still nice.
...and toxic.
Old 12-01-17, 10:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

With sports cars the advantage of buying new is you know the previous owner didn't hoon on it and beat it like a red headed step child. The Porsche crowd(and Miata crowd) generally takes great care of their stuff though. But buying something like a used WRX, Mitsubishi Evo, Mustang or Camaro with the V8/manual stick option, you just know it was beat on and hacked up/modified to within an inch of its life.

Quick Reply: Can't get a good deal on a Miata? Try the Fiat 124 Spider.