Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now my 4Runner has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Now my 4Runner has an issue

Went to do something today. Noticed a fluid leak underneath. Look like it's transmission.

Anyone have experience with leaks? Plan to take it in this Wednesday. Pretty annoying as there are only 102K US miles on the odometer.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-26-17 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 03:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

ANY car will get leaks at over 100k miles. I don't give a crap if it's the most expensive car in the world or the most reliable car in the world.

If you don't like dealing with that, I suggest you get a brand new car and trade for something new every 3 years.

"Pretty annoying" is if it happens on a new car, but at over 100k miles you must be kidding yourself with that comment.

Or did you actually take the usual Toyota reliability claim at face value when they say "just change brake pads and engine oil and you should be good to go to 200k miles".
Old 11-26-17, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't expect a Toyota to start leaking at 100k. That is all. Don't expect most manufacturers to do that either.
Old 11-26-17, 03:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I didn't expect a Toyota to start leaking at 100k. That is all. Don't expect most manufacturers to do that either.
I hope you're kidding....

Most Toyotas or Lexus especially in the southern states will start leaking somewhere at a good amount before 100k miles. Be it valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, steering racks, etc... leaks happen. Yes even on Toyota and Lexus.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns. Alot of it depends on the climate, dry climate might be ideal because it's nice to not have a rotting frame, but the dry heat will take its toll much quicker on most rubber components that include seals on your engine/trans, weatherstripping, so on and so forth.

We work on Porsches of all generations at my work more than any other cars and those things leak before 10k miles.... yeah $200k Turbo S with oil leaks at under 10k miles. Now that is sad.
Old 11-26-17, 03:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyotas aren't normally known as leakers, unlike some of the Detroit junk from years past - but yeah it's unrealistic to expect a vehicle with 102K to be completely dry underneath. What color is the fluid?
Old 11-26-17, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Toyotas aren't normally known as leakers, unlike some of the Detroit junk from years past - but yeah it's unrealistic to expect a vehicle with 102K to be completely dry underneath. What color is the fluid?
look reddish brown.
Old 11-26-17, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I hope you're kidding....

Most Toyotas or Lexus especially in the southern states will start leaking somewhere at a good amount before 100k miles. Be it valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, steering racks, etc... leaks happen. Yes even on Toyota and Lexus.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns. Alot of it depends on the climate, dry climate might be ideal because it's nice to not have a rotting frame, but the dry heat will take its toll much quicker on most rubber components that include seals on your engine/trans, weatherstripping, so on and so forth.

We work on Porsches of all generations at my work more than any other cars and those things leak before 10k miles.... yeah $200k Turbo S with oil leaks at under 10k miles. Now that is sad.
My experience with Toyota has been very good for leaks. Usually can get to 200k without a leak. That is why I am annoyed.

now I am wondering what the costs of these types of repairs are? My first thought is a major $$$ repair.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-26-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 04:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

look reddish brown.
Could be power steering fluid, transmission fluid. Maybe a leak from the power steering pump, or the rear transmission seal or one of the associated o-rings or seals with the transmission or center differential. Not enough info to know because you would have to know exactly where the leak is happening. Front of the vehicle, center or back end.
Old 11-26-17, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Could be power steering fluid, transmission fluid. Maybe a leak from the power steering pump, or the rear transmission seal or one of the associated o-rings or seals with the transmission or center differential. Not enough info to know because you would have to know exactly where the leak is happening. Front of the vehicle, center or back end.
It is coming from where the transmission and engine meet. Right near the axle shaft for the front part of the 4WD unit.
Old 11-26-17, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a photo. I will try to get a better photo tomorrow. It's from the left side of the transmission
Old 11-26-17, 04:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow looking at your sig you have a lot of high mileage cars.

100k miles is a LOT.
Our Subaru Legacy just past 12,000 today exactly 1 year since we got it.
Most likely I will try to get rid of it before the lease is up in 2years.
Great car for the money but every year the cars get better and better lol.
Old 11-26-17, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Has the transmission (to your knowledge) ever been power-flushed? Although it usually is not recommended (or listed) as a service-requirement in the Owners' Manual or Maintenance Schedule, smooth- talking service-shops often convince customers to have flushes done every couple of years. Pat Goss, Lead Technician for Motorweek (I know you watch that show, with John Davis), is well-known for pushing that service (Goss also owns his own independent repair-shop). And, yes, IF DONE CORRECTLY, flushing will get out most of the dirt and metallic-particles that ordinary fluid/filter changes don't get, and keep the inside of the transmission like new. But careless hook-up and operation of the power-flusher could do more harm than good. Too little pressure won't get the dirt out, and be a waste of time. Too much pressure could harm or damage the seals / gaskets and other parts that prevent leaks, shortening their life and leading to just the kind of stuff you're beginning to see.
Old 11-26-17, 04:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

04 is supposed to be a sealed unit.
Old 11-26-17, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

04 is supposed to be a sealed unit.
A sealed unit (depending on the specific design) doesn't necessarily mean that there are no seals/gaskets or other potential leak-points. What that means is that you have no drain plug or other means of unscrewing or disassembling anything to let the fluid drain out and be changed. Fluid-changes (if possible) are done with a tube and a vacuum-device to suck the old fluid out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 04:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It is coming from where the transmission and engine meet. Right near the axle shaft for the front part of the 4WD unit.
Bell housing gasket leak could be one possibility but if it's right at the axle shaft then it's a possible front differential leak right at the axle seal where the CV shaft mates with the differential. These guys here describe something similar.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ferential.html

But check your transmission dipstick before you drive too much further in case you really have lost some transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: Now my 4Runner has an issue