Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Types of People Who Will Miss Out Buying a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 08:58 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 5 Types of People Who Will Miss Out Buying a Lexus

5 Types of People Who Will Miss Out Buying a Lexus
By Brian Dally

Our investigative team unearths the hard truths on why Lexus isn't everyone's choice of transportation. Continue reading to see what's going on.

Last edited by Curated Content Editor; 11-20-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 12:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

I kind of feel stupid for clicking on the link. Oh, you left out deceased people!
Old 11-20-17, 12:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I kind of feel stupid for clicking on the link. Oh, you left out deceased people!
I bit too. Live and learn.
Old 11-21-17, 08:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts

Hardcore German car fans won't touch Lexus. I see one pop up from time to time at the dealership I work at. Usually they're buying the Lexus for their wife, but they hate everything about Lexus.
Old 11-21-17, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Hardcore German car fans won't touch Lexus. I see one pop up from time to time at the dealership I work at. Usually they're buying the Lexus for their wife, but they hate everything about Lexus.
Again, look at the service lounges to see who's sitting in them. It's a little more difficult for the German cars since they give out loaners for oil changes etc. At some point, people will say nah, I don't think my car needs a service every 5k. My buddy just took his wife's (key word wife) brand new NX200t in for service, and the service advisor showed him what was coming due soon. Can you believe they actually check the floor mat on the driver's side? I mean, for a charge? BMW doesn't care if your OEM floor mat gets wrapped in your clutch (and it does)!
Old 11-21-17, 08:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again, look at the service lounges to see who's sitting in them. It's a little more difficult for the German cars since they give out loaners for oil changes etc. At some point, people will say nah, I don't think my car needs a service every 5k. My buddy just took his wife's (key word wife) brand new NX200t in for service, and the service advisor showed him what was coming due soon. Can you believe they actually check the floor mat on the driver's side? I mean, for a charge? BMW doesn't care if your OEM floor mat gets wrapped in your clutch (and it does)!
After the floor mat fiasco/controversy I can see why the dealers are still checking them. I'm kind of surprised they still are doing it but understand why they'd be a little gun shy.
Old 11-21-17, 09:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My point is Lexus and I'll just choose BMW are like oil and water. Free maintenance imho really worked for BMW, because let's say someone leased a car, do they feel like spending $140 on a brake fluid flush? It's factored into the price, costs $0, so they feel fat, dumb, and happy. I've heard some crazy numbers for Lexus service. I was looking for touch up paint and a cashier was telling a man (staff, dunno what his position was) that a customer was very unhappy with a $2,700 charge. Man asks for what vehicle? She goes '14 GX, and man goes, oh, that's not a lot at all. A '14 BMW would still be covered no matter what that was (I dunno what the charges were for but I would not pay nearly 3 grand on a 3 y.o. car). It is imho considerably easier to find a BMW indie than it is Lexus.

p.s. I declined all recommended services, but I drove a '06 LS430 into the dealer and what they recommended totaled $4,800. Flash forward 14 mos., I got the timing belt done at the indie for $850, LCA bushings for $300 (I provided the OE bushings which cost me $120), and that's it. Problem free car this whole time. Just me, I cannot flash the Visa and patronize the dealership, I know others do. So I will be one of those who miss out on a new Lexus (buy used, maybe 5+ y.o.)...

p.s. it's a little offensive that my Lexus drivers shows my declining of their recommendations--it should say, based on charging 4X the going rate lol
Old 11-21-17, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
After the floor mat fiasco/controversy I can see why the dealers are still checking them. I'm kind of surprised they still are doing it but understand why they'd be a little gun shy.

This is just simple common sense. Dealerships shouldn't HAVE to waste time doing stuff like that. A third-grader would have enough sense to figure out that you don't pile up carpets or heavy floor mats on top of a gas pedal LOL.
Old 11-23-17, 07:02 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts
Smile

That's a good point! I never knew they checked the floor mats on the cars.

I agree with you on the cars not needing a service every 5,000 miles. For newer cars it's like a tire rotation, fluid check and sometimes an oil change.

My point is Lexus and I'll just choose BMW are like oil and water. Free maintenance imho really worked for BMW, because let's say someone leased a car, do they feel like spending $140 on a brake fluid flush? It's factored into the price, costs $0, so they feel fat, dumb, and happy. I've heard some crazy numbers for Lexus service. I was looking for touch up paint and a cashier was telling a man (staff, dunno what his position was) that a customer was very unhappy with a $2,700 charge. Man asks for what vehicle? She goes '14 GX, and man goes, oh, that's not a lot at all. A '14 BMW would still be covered no matter what that was (I dunno what the charges were for but I would not pay nearly 3 grand on a 3 y.o. car). It is imho considerably easier to find a BMW indie than it is Lexus.

p.s. I declined all recommended services, but I drove a '06 LS430 into the dealer and what they recommended totaled $4,800. Flash forward 14 mos., I got the timing belt done at the indie for $850, LCA bushings for $300 (I provided the OE bushings which cost me $120), and that's it. Problem free car this whole time. Just me, I cannot flash the Visa and patronize the dealership, I know others do. So I will be one of those who miss out on a new Lexus (buy used, maybe 5+ y.o.)...

p.s. it's a little offensive that my Lexus drivers shows my declining of their recommendations--it should say, based on charging 4X the going rate lol
$2,700 sounds outrageous for a GX460. I can't imagine what could cost so much unless it was something serious breaking. It should have still been under warranty too!

That price for that recommendation is insane! My dealership is pretty high like that too. I brought my 05 LS430 in for an oil change before I started working there and it was $28 in labor despite me bringing my own oil and filter. Then they told it was $42 to change my front turn signal bulb, $800 to change my brakes, and another few hundred for some other crap. I ordered new brakes and pads on eBay for $200 and the cost for labor at my friend's shop is $50 to install them. The same shop did my timing belt, water pump, and spark plugs for $200 compared to the $2,800 I think we charge at Lexus. Dealerships stay in business due to the service department's outrageous prices.

How was the ride/steering after doing those lower control arm bushings? I think my sister's LS430 needs them.