Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla unveils their new semitruck

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 09:03 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Tesla unveils their new semitruck

Tesla’s new semi has been unveiled, and the specs are killer.
Here are a few points from the live stream before it crashed:
- 0-60 in 5 seconds with no trailer (holy crap)
- 4 motors sourced from the Model 3 (10xx hp)
- 500 mile range (regardless of payload)
- Unbreakable/unchippable windshield
- Two 15” screens for driver use
- Autonomous highway driving capable
- 6’6” heigh roof in cabin
- $5000 to reserve now
Attached Thumbnails Tesla unveils their new semitruck-photo232.jpg   Tesla unveils their new semitruck-photo591.jpg   Tesla unveils their new semitruck-photo875.jpg  
Old 11-16-17, 11:42 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

have you ever been stuck behind a truck trying to accelerate ?

yeah, this solves the problem.
a semi that will blow the doors off a camry
Old 11-17-17, 03:36 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

pman, that is exactly what I had hoped they would have as an advantage

Today's 18 wheelers take about 30 sec to get to 60 so right off the bat a 50% advantage

I wonder who the drivers will respond to the non conventional seating approach

I believe this is more of a short haul (i.e. day cab) substitute but drivers in the industry appear to like a certain look to their trucks (long nose Peterbuilts being the example)
Old 11-17-17, 05:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Don't forget the 1 million mile drive train guarantee. Very impressed with Tesla in last few years.
Old 11-17-17, 09:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Musk said Tesla is taking semi orders now for delivery in 2019.
Source

That would only be a year or 2 away. If I were a betting man, I would say delivery would be in 2020, 2021 or later.
Old 11-17-17, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Tesla needs a bigger charging network. The current ones won't really accommodate this massive EV. Need bigger stalls
Old 11-17-17, 10:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Tesla needs a bigger charging network. The current ones won't really accommodate this massive EV. Need bigger stalls
I read that one possible option would be battery exchange locations along the major truck routes (interstates etc.). Also read that most of the other big truck manufacturers are working on alternative fuel vehicles and may be on a similar pace as Tesla.
Old 11-17-17, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I read that one possible option would be battery exchange locations along the major truck routes (interstates etc.). Also read that most of the other big truck manufacturers are working on alternative fuel vehicles and may be on a similar pace as Tesla.
Came across this. Tesla planning "Megachargers"

The Tesla semi has a range of about 500 miles on a charge. Musk said 80 percent of all trucking routes are less than 250 miles, meaning the truck can make it to its destination and back on a single charge. Tesla is planning "Megachargers," DC charging stations along common routes and at origin and destination points that can provide 400 miles of range in 30 minutes.
Source
Old 11-17-17, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

J.B. Hunt and Walmart are two names that have thrown their hats at Tesla in regards to the Semi.

J.B. Hunt says it has reserved "multiple" Tesla Semis, which it will test along the West Coast. J.B. Hunt President and CEO John Roberts said in a statement, "Reserving Tesla trucks marks an important step in our efforts to implement industry-changing technology. We believe electric trucks will be most beneficial on local and dray routes, and we look forward to utilizing this new, sustainable technology."

Walmart plans to test Tesla Semi Trucks in the U.S. in Canada, the company told CNBC. "We have a long history of testing new technology – including alternative-fuel trucks – and we are excited to be among the first to pilot this new heavy-duty electric vehicle." The company added, "We believe we can learn how this technology performs within our supply chain, as well as how it could help us meet some of our long-term sustainability goals, such as lowering emissions."
Source
Old 11-17-17, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
- 4 motors sourced from the Model 3 (10xx hp)
does that mean it uses 4 bays at the superchargers?
Old 11-17-17, 02:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, but it will definitely come the "mudflap girl" mudflaps all around to make sure that those mother-truckers can keep on rolling eastbound and down to make sure the boys in Texerkana don't end up getting too thirsty. Yee-haa.
Old 11-17-17, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MattyG
No, but it will definitely come the "mudflap girl" mudflaps all around to make sure that those mother-truckers can keep on rolling eastbound and down to make sure the boys in Texerkana don't end up getting too thirsty. Yee-haa.
The silhouette will be of Amber Heard his now ex GF
Old 11-17-17, 02:56 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does that mean it uses 4 bays at the superchargers?
So, I guess in Tesla math, 1 Megacharger = 4 Superchargers ?
Old 11-17-17, 08:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They will. Warren Buffet will make sure of that with his acquisition of Pilot Flying J truck stops. My guess is you'll see charging stations pop up there and full battery swaps.
Old 11-18-17, 11:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

Excuse me, but

"The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarkana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes"

As for the Tesla truck, operating costs are the name of the game in trucking. I'm sure all the accountants at the trucking company are crunching the numbers to see if an electric truck is cheaper than a diesel truck as far as the fuel goes. I'm sure the accountants at Tesla have done the math and made a business case for this as well.

I'm not here to debate about the cost of electricity vs diesel, my point is Tesla's cars have proven to be finicky, unreliable, parts are not readily available and are extremely expensive. The parts not being available and being extremely expensive(only people making Tesla parts is Tesla, no aftermarket solutions) has caused insurance rates to increase on Tesla's cars. Its common for wrecked Teslas to sit for months at a body shop waiting for parts to come in.

I don't care how much cheaper electricity is vs diesel, if those wheels aren't turning, you ain't earning. Considering Tesla's track record of **** poor performance for things like parts availability, parts cost, and unreliability, I wouldn't buy a Tesla truck. At least not until it has proven itself in the field for a few years and proven that it can make me $$$$$.

Quick Reply: Tesla unveils their new semitruck