Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I shoudn’t have taken my Lexus to a Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 01:29 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamy913
Agree 100% mmarshall
We're all in agreement on that. And on my 2006 LS430, imho the indie garage knows more about it, and treats it better, than a dealership ever would. To a dealer, it's an old car. To an indie, it's my car. There's a face behind the owner, to the indie. On my BMW forum, some say you have to tip the service advisor if you want to get treated well. Um, no, I disagree.
Old 11-17-17, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
We're all in agreement on that. And on my 2006 LS430, imho the indie garage knows more about it, and treats it better, than a dealership ever would. To a dealer, it's an old car. To an indie, it's my car. There's a face behind the owner, to the indie. On my BMW forum, some say you have to tip the service advisor if you want to get treated well. Um, no, I disagree.
Depends on the senior-management, of course, but some dealerships actually won't allow that. Employees (or managers) can be disciplined or fired for taking tips.

I get around that, though, simply by carrying bottles of Scratch-Out with me. If I like the person at the dealership well enough, if he or she has treated me very well, or if they have treated a friend or relative of mine well, they quietly (and discreetly) get a bottle of Scratch-Out slipped into their pocket.
Old 11-17-17, 03:57 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on the senior-management, of course, but some dealerships actually won't allow that. Employees (or managers) can be disciplined or fired for taking tips.

I get around that, though, simply by carrying bottles of Scratch-Out with me. If I like the person at the dealership well enough, if he or she has treated me very well, or if they have treated a friend or relative of mine well, they quietly (and discreetly) get a bottle of Scratch-Out slipped into their pocket.
wow you actually tip them with an $8 bottle of crappy paint scratch removal liquid? seriously?
Old 11-17-17, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
wow you actually tip them with an $8 bottle of crappy paint scratch removal liquid? seriously?
First, there's nothing crappy about it....it's damn good stuff, if used correctly. Second, you can often get it for a lot less than $8....Giant Food, in the D.C. area, sells it for just over $4 a bottle. Third, you should not criticize something without first trying it (assuming that's the case). Fourth, you should not have a problem with me being generous...with all due respect, if you do, then that's on you, not me. Fifth, virtually everyone I know who has tried it likes it...so it speaks for itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 07:36 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 638 Likes on 479 Posts

First, there's nothing crappy about it....it's damn good stuff, if used correctly. Second, you can often get it for a lot less than $8....Giant Food, in the D.C. area, sells it for just over $4 a bottle. Third, you should not criticize something without first trying it (assuming that's the case). Fourth, you should not have a problem with me being generous...with all due respect, if you do, then that's on you, not me. Fifth, virtually everyone I know who has tried it likes it...so it speaks for itself.
Sixth, mmarshall owns stock in the company!
Old 11-17-17, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

I would love to see the look on a car dealer employees face when he gets handed a bottle of Scratch Out as a tip lol

i appreciated my bottle you sent me very much, that was very nice...but I think handing them out to dealer personnel, or slipping them in their pockets...little much.
Old 11-17-17, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sixth, mmarshall owns stock in the company!
Wrong. I don't own ANY stock. Too risky.
Old 11-17-17, 09:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would love to see the look on a car dealer employees face when he gets handed a bottle of Scratch Out as a tip lol
Well if you want to see it so much, next time, come along with me, and you'll find out.
Old 11-18-17, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, anyone else have any experiences servicing their Lexus products at Toyota shops? This is an interesting thread, especially for what, even in Car Chat, is generally a Lexus-oriented forum.
Old 11-18-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong. I don't own ANY stock. Too risky.
Your loss
Old 11-18-17, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Your loss
Wrong again. I get a lot of (double) tax-free income from Virginia municipal bonds and bond-funds, from many years of investing. Good, stable income that is relatively (though not completely 100%) safe. In fact, that is one reason why I was able to retire early. Fortunately, Congress, in the latest tax-bill, is not going to make any of that taxable. But, we're getting off topic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-17 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong again. I get a lot of (double) tax-free income from Virginia municipal bonds and bond-funds, from many years of investing. Good, stable income that is relatively (though not completely 100%) safe. In fact, that is one reason why I was able to retire early. Fortunately, Congress, in the latest tax-bill, is not going to make any of that taxable. But, we're getting off topic.
We are off topic, but I am most certainly not wrong. Had you invested in the market even conservatively over your lifetime I can guarantee you would be much better off than you are today. The returns over time are just dramatically higher than what you're getting and have gotten, if you think about just the last 5 years, the market growth is just staggering. Based on the discussions I've had with you, you live a pretty simple and humble lifestyle, and I believe you also have a pension and you have no children which is what allowed you to invest only in that sort of thing and be able to retire with a similar lifestyle to what you were accustomed to when you were working.

Worked for you, and thats fine...but to make a blanket statement like "stocks are too risky" is uninformed and poor advice. For somebody like me, or most other people who have no pension, have children you need to school and raise and educate, and have a more expensive lifestyle there is no way I or we could invest as you have and ever be able to retire at a similar lifestyle.

BACK ON TOPIC I don't understand the issue the OP is having. Complaining about $27 in shop fees over 35,000 miles of service, 8 service visits? Even the statement "$27.95 is too much for coffee cookies and pastries" doesn't make sense. If you went out for coffee, cookies and pastries 8 times it would cost you more than $27. I don't get it Every dealership or shop I've ever been to has charged a shop charge/environmental disposal fee.

I don't blame the dealer at all for turning you away.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-18-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^. Stock market goes up over time. It's guaranteed. Key is to understand that when it falls, you don't pull out as it will go up. The long term growth out paces any pension fund I have ever heard of. That being said, the more risk you take the higher the returns, but you can also fall harder too.
Old 11-18-17, 08:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't blame the dealer at all for turning you away.
Neither do I. I think the dealer did he right thing by refunding the money and telling the OP to go away. A simple email asking about the charge would suffice.

The long email mail detailing everything the OP has done makes me believe there is some pent up frustration on the OP side of things against this dealer.
Old 11-18-17, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People are just totally unreasonable. I've noticed the level of unreasonableness and the number of people with unreasonable expectations has increased dramatically over the last few years.

Businesses have to charge to stay alive. They're charging a fee that is clearly laid out on the invoice, its not hidden, and the explanation of what the fee is is very simple, yet you still have people so entitled that they feel they should be "above" being charged these fees.

Quick Reply: I shoudn’t have taken my Lexus to a Toyota Dealer