Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1

Old 11-08-17, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1

the 2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1 is finally here. It looks vicious, like the already hot Z06 moonlighting as a GT3-spec Le Mans racer. The rear wing looks large enough for light aircraft duty and the front splitter could help ZR1 owners offer snow-plow service during the winter. The engine is so tall that the 755-horsepower supercharged 6.2-liter V8 literally pokes out of the hood. This is the ne plus ultra of any production car ever badged with a bowtie.

At the heart of every Corvette is a rip-roaring, fire-spitting V8. Anything else would be tantamount to treason, causing marches on Bowling Green calling for blood and the ashes of Zora Arkus-Duntov. The new LT5 might be named in honor of the 1990 ZR-1's (C4 had the hyphen) engine, but eschews that V8's dual-overhead cams. Instead, this pushrod V8 uses an Eaton supercharger that's 52-percent larger than the one on the Z06. The throttle body has a diameter of nearly 4 inches. All in, the LT5 makes 755 horsepower at 6,300 rpm and 715 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm. That's a 300-horsepower leap over the base Corvette.

In addition to the extra displacement from the blower, the LT5 makes use of both direct and port fuel injection. Not only should this help fuel flow, it should slow the carbon buildup that occurs with direct-injected engines. It uses a more efficient intercooler, too, helping prevent the heat-soak issues that plagued the Z06. The supercharger and intercooler are so large that the hood is open in the middle, raising a big middle finger to pedestrian crash standards. It sits three inches higher than the standard car. The whole front end has been honed and shaped to feed air into the engine and driveline. Four new radiators bring the total to 13.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through either a seven-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic. Both are the same as the ones found in the Z06, gear ratios and all. If it follows the Z06's trend, the car might actually be quicker if you let the computer handle the shifting. Still, save the manuals and all that jazz. Tadge Juechter, chief Corvette executive engineer, says that the manual is more robust and the preferred option for track use.

Still, all the power in the world means jack if you can't put it down. Look at the lengths Dodge had to go to with the Demon. With the ZR1, it's all about aero, hence the splitter and rear wing. Downforce without drag was key, and it seems to have worked. Like the Z06, there are multiple aero packages for the ZR1. The standard low-wing setup delivers 70-percent more downforce than a base Z06. Top speed with the low wing is 210 miles per hour. It also makes it far easier to access the rear cargo area.

The two-way adjustable high-wing kit lowers the top speed but gives the car 60-percent more downforce than a Z06 with the Z07 package. A few bolts on the stanchion allow for five degrees of adjustment. The wing is mounted to the chassis to prevent cracking the hatch under load. Every ZR1 comes with a new underwing. The Corvette team looked at having an active rear wing. The idea was nixed after considering packaging and weight issues. Juechter said that because an active rear wing can provide low drag and high downforce when it's up they decided to "just leave the damn thing up." Underbody aero was developed with the Corvette Racing team. Balancing the big rear wing required more aero up front, so an inverted airfoil aids without having a giant shelf out front.

The high wing is part of the ZTK Performance Package (Chevy loves its build codes). Juechter and Chief Designer Top Peters say the ZTK package is equivalent to the Z07 package on the Corvette Z06. In addition to the airplane appendage, the ZTK kit adds a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (the same ones that are on the Z06) and different tuning for the chassis and Magnetic Ride Control. That's right. No fancy spool-valve shocks like on the Camaro ZL1 1LE. The ZR1 uses a short/long arm double wishbone setup with cast aluminum control arms and transverse-mounted composite springs both front and rear. It is a Corvette after all.

While Pilot Sport Cup 2s are optional, the car comes standard with Pilot Super Sport run flats. The staggered setup - P285/30ZR19s up front and P355/25ZR20s out back - cover carbon-ceramic brakes with calipers the size of Dwayne Johnson's forearm. With the Cup 2s, expect 60 to 0 mph stops of fewer than 90 feet, real world-class stuff.

The debut ZR1 comes in a special Sebring Orange Design Package that adds orange paint and brake calipers and orange stripes on the rocker panel and splitter. Inside, the car gets orange seat belts, orange stitching and bronze aluminum trim. In addition to the performance parts, all ZR1s are available with heated and ventilated Nappa leather seats, a carbon-fiber rimmed steering wheel, a Bose stereo and GM's Performance Data Recorder. Like other Corvettes, the ZR1 is available with multiple seats with varying degrees of bolstering.

The car goes on sale next spring. Pricing hasn't been announced, but expect it to start around $120,000. Yes, that's a lot for a Corvette or any Chevy for that matter, but a huge bargain when compared to the competitive set. While it hasn't been revealed, look for a convertible version to follow sometime soon. We've seen that car running around Detroit. Sure, some were hoping for a little more out of the car. Maybe a surprise like dual-overhead cams or a hybrid system. This is impressive, if a bit unsurprising. Still, if this is it for the front-engine 'Vette, it's going out with one hell of a bang.

Source and Pictures

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-12-17 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-17, 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

Sinister

Old 11-12-17, 07:17 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done GM. $120k for a car with this kind of power is amazing. If I had the money, I would get this over a Porsche any day.
Old 11-12-17, 08:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

They turned the front bumper into what the original C7 should have had all along. The current version is about as plain and uninspiring as a 1990's Chevy Nova sedan. Now they finally enter into modern times, just as the car is about to be finished off and everyone else is starting to lead in a different direction. Day late and a dollar short again.
Also, to the non-Corvette enthusiast, the auto media is more or less announcing this car as an all-new Corvette. Going to cause confusion, especially since so many spy photos of the C8 have been seen recently.
Old 11-12-17, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

didn't i read on here that the vette was going mid-engine? was that just a prank?
Old 11-12-17, 09:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't i read on here that the vette was going mid-engine? was that just a prank?
You read right. But everyone is touting this as the new Corvette. The confusion has already begun. Similar tactics when GM puts ads in magazines that look like journalist articles, controlling the words and compliments as to make it look like they were written by the press. Most readers are fooled. Old school GM marketing behavior. When you have confidence in a quality and timely product, you don't need to succumb to BS methods. Anything that says "2019" and "Corvette" in the same sentence should be the total redesign.
Old 11-12-17, 10:16 PM
Hoovey689

The current C7 that we know will run till about 2021 as last reported. It will be sold alongside the C8 ‘Emperor’ Mid-engine Corvette and live out its life cycle, so they will overlap for a brief time.
Old 11-13-17, 08:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks nice except for the tacky-as-hell rear wing -- make one that's deployable (not deplorable) when needed.
Old 11-13-17, 08:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

7-spd manual, I'm in. (although let's get real a Z06 is more than enough for me, there is an "enough") Yeah, me too, I'd delete the wing.
Old 11-13-17, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^ agreed on redneck wing.
Old 11-13-17, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ agreed on redneck wing.
They need the downforce , the ultra performance/track versions of other brands like Porsche have huge, ugly A$$ wings too (GT3RS / GT2RS).
​​​​​​​
I sat in a a white manual C7 Z06 that is available on the showroom floor last december, it sure looks cool, but the nose of this ZR1 looks better, the question is , how well this ZR1 can put all that power to the ground better than they do now with the Z06 ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-13-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
the question is , how well this ZR1 can put all that power to the ground better than they do now with the Z06 ...

Usually, the best way to put massive amounts of torque down to the ground (short of limiting torque-output in the lower gears) is to simply use a rear-biased AWD system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the current ZR-1 has that option....I didn't see it in the specs.
Old 11-13-17, 12:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it looks really good despite what a lot of people on the Corvette forum think. I am not a Vette guy and just don't like them in general for a number of reasons, but it I do appreciate the their performance and the new ZR1 looks better than the normal C7 or Z06 and it is going to be a beast of a car. I also don't mind the wing as it is functional and not just for looks. As mentioned previously, I just wonder how it will put all of that power down (and no there is no AWD system on a Vette mmarshall).
Old 11-13-17, 02:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought only ricer add big wing......
Old 11-13-17, 08:35 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

My Stingray satisfies my every need.

Can't afford the ZR1 anyway

Search this Thread