Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Jeep Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 04:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Ah good catch... two 2018 models is pretty confusing!
Old 07-02-18, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We were looking at the new Wranglers for fun today. Wow. Nice vehicles.

I will say, the paint job on these new models are spectacular. They look great. I would say superior to Lexus and other luxury makes. Didn’t sit in any interiors.
Old 07-02-18, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We were looking at the new Wranglers for fun today. Wow. Nice vehicles.

I will say, the paint job on these new models are spectacular. They look great. I would say superior to Lexus and other luxury makes. Didn’t sit in any interiors.
Yes, the Wrangler certainly has some nice colors....Lime Green, Purple Plum Crazy, bright orange, red, yellow,, electric blue......even a retro Army-olive-green with the military stars.

You probably wouldn't like the (dis)comfort level of a Wrangler, though. The newer ones are, of course, considerably more civilized inside and in the suspension department that the older, more traditional ones, but trust me.....they are still somewhat unrefined on regular pavement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 12:27 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is something I have suggested, time and time again, to the Jeep representatives for (literally) decades....why the Select-Trac and Quadra-Trac full-time AWD systems (which is what they called them back then) was available (or standard) on several other Jeep models, but not on the Wrangler. The Wrangler, each year, was saddled with the primitive, part-time Command-Trac and its manually-operated transfer-case, which was fine for rock-crawling in the boonies, but unsuitable for the everyday conditions where even many Wrangers spend much of their time these days. No one could seem to come up with a credible answer to my question....until now.
Unfortunately only available with the 8AT. While I'd love to have both, I'd absolutely choose the 6MT over the full-time 4wd.
Old 07-03-18, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I've often thought about getting something like a Wrangler for a fun third vehicle. My son loves them, especially red ones lol (he's 3 1/2). But, they are expensive, that novel idea always flies away when I spec one up.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Chrysler does a really good job on paint. The paint finish on my Jeeps and my Pacifica is really nice, thick, smooth, resists chipping. The paint on every Lexus but the LS pales in comparison I agree.

You will find little quality imperfections in the paint you would never see on a Lexus though, specs of dust, etc.
Old 07-03-18, 11:29 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You probably wouldn't like the (dis)comfort level of a Wrangler, though. The newer ones are, of course, considerably more civilized inside and in the suspension department that the older, more traditional ones, but trust me.....they are still somewhat unrefined on regular pavement.
Have you driven one yet? I test drove a Sahara Unlimited JL and thought the ride was really good for what it was. I could say with great certainty that it rode well enough to be an everyday driver. I came really close to purchasing one, but in the end I settled on a much more practical everyday commuter vehicle (BMW 530e PHEV), but every time I see a Wrangler, a part of me wishes I would have made the impractical choice.

Anyhow my point is the narrative that Wrangleers are unrefined on regular pavement is outdated. Go drive one to see what I mean.
Old 07-03-18, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Have you driven one yet? I test drove a Sahara Unlimited JL and thought the ride was really good for what it was. I could say with great certainty that it rode well enough to be an everyday driver. I came really close to purchasing one, but in the end I settled on a much more practical everyday commuter vehicle (BMW 530e PHEV), but every time I see a Wrangler, a part of me wishes I would have made the impractical choice.

Anyhow my point is the narrative that Wrangleers are unrefined on regular pavement is outdated. Go drive one to see what I mean.
OK.....I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I haven't specifically sampled the latest one (or the four-door Unlimited version). But they have a long history of being little more than motorized camels.
Old 07-04-18, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77

I agree they are better than they used to be. But compared to a easy going car or cute ute, they do not come close. Even my 4Runner gets tiring after a few days of driving and that has a decent ride. Husbands LX forget it. It really takes its toll on you after a while.