Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 02:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while i try to go outside my comfort zone of symmetry i just don't like the asymmetric curve thing on the camry interior.

accord:

camry:
To each his own...

Personally, I much prefer the Camry's dashboard. I find its design cleaner, neater and more integral, whereas I find that the mish-mash of incongruent colours, textures and layers in the Accord to be noisy and it gives me a headache.
Old 10-29-17, 03:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while i try to go outside my comfort zone of symmetry i just don't like the asymmetric curve thing on the camry interior.
Agreed. They tried this in the 3RX and it looks terrible in my eyes. I'm glad they went back to a more conventional layout for the 4RX.

The Camry's interior looks like it was designed with random curves just to be different. It looks in-cohesive with that large piece of 'wood' and 'leather' on the passenger side.
Old 10-29-17, 03:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i can live with either symmetry or asymmetry in a car.

but i think the right side diagonal cuts off too much of the center stack in the camry.

kinda like how the RX a/c controls get cut off.

I like the Avalon asymmetry better.
Old 11-14-17, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw my first Accord today. Looked like a loaded one. Leather and all. Wow wow wow. From what I see this handily beats the new Camry. Also puts to shame all other competitors. Sad for GM as they are the biggest losers. Kinda reminds me of the Sienna/Odyssey vs the mediocre stuff from everyone else.

Note, I did not sit in it.
Old 11-14-17, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw my first Accord today. Looked like a loaded one. Leather and all. Wow wow wow. From what I see this handily beats the new Camry. Also puts to shame all other competitors. Sad for GM as they are the biggest losers. Kinda reminds me of the Sienna/Odyssey vs the mediocre stuff from everyone else.

Note, I did not sit in it.
How is GM the big loser? You don't like the Malibu? I'll grant you the standard 1.5L turbo four in both the Malibu and Fusion is not very much of an engine, but they are both, otherwise, pretty nice products. And don't forget the mid-size 2018 Regals, including the Wagon, that will be soon debuting. In its favor, though, the Accord, except for some transmission issues, has a long history of being built like a Swiss Watch.

Kinda reminds me of the Sienna/Odyssey vs the mediocre stuff from everyone else.
Hmmm.......I can think of at least one person, here on Car Chat, with a brand-new Pacifica, who might disagree with you about it being mediocre.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-14-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is GM the big loser? You don't like the Malibu? I'll grant you the standard 1.5L turbo four in both the Malibu and Fusion is not very much of an engine, but they are both, otherwise, pretty nice products. And don't forget the mid-size 2018 Regals, including the Wagon, that will be soon debuting. In its favor, though, the Accord, except for some transmission issues, has a long history of being built like a Swiss Watch.

Steve would probably disagree with you about the Pacifica being mediocre LOL.
My comments were said because for the last ten years we have been told that GM sedans are every bit as good as Toy and Honda. Why would anyone want to pay Camry or Accord prices for the Chevy. Similar comments relate to the vans as well.
Old 11-14-17, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My comments were said because for the last ten years we have been told that GM sedans are every bit as good as Toy and Honda. Why would anyone want to pay Camry or Accord prices for the Chevy.
Whether they are as good as the Camry and Accord or not is debateable.......no need to get into that again here in detail (as you note, we've discussed that back and forth on Car Chat for years). But the main issue is that, though they remain good-sellers, the Camry and Accord aren't necessarily the Kings of the Mountain they once were.....today, like it or not, they do have competition.
Old 11-14-17, 04:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I sure hope the Accord’s styling is better in person. Seeing lots of new Camrys around but anxiously awaiting my first Accord sighting.
Old 11-14-17, 04:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I sure hope the Accord’s styling is better in person. Seeing lots of new Camrys around but anxiously awaiting my first Accord sighting.
I liked it. Looked premium.
Old 11-14-17, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Whether they are as good as the Camry and Accord or not is debateable.......no need to get into that again here in detail (as you note, we've discussed that back and forth on Car Chat for years). But the main issue is that, though they remain good-sellers, the Camry and Accord aren't necessarily the Kings of the Mountain they once were.....today, like it or not, they do have competition.
would you say a Malibu or Fusion or Sonata is worth paying the same money vs a Accord or Camry?
Old 11-14-17, 05:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With any of the family sedan cars these days, you're not going to go wrong. They all have improved significantly which means you have figure out what's important to you as a car buyer. Much of this market migrated to SUV's. The Accord looks really good now, in fact, it's making the Sonata look a little bit stuffy. The Camry looks good too, or would except for the "jockstrap hanging on a chain link fence" front end that C&D said about that schnauzer-esque nose.

To me I would look at drive trains and their configuration. Not a Ford fan but you get the V6 and AWD on the Fusion. Same with the incoming Regal GS. Malibu and Accord do not offer AWD or a V6. You go with a small displacement turbo. Camry offers the V6, but still no AWD. In snow country it's nice to have that option. Seems like Honda would like you to step up to Acura or one of its SUV's for AWD.
Old 11-14-17, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

would you say a Malibu or Fusion or Sonata is worth paying the same money vs a Accord or Camry?
I haven't actually owned any of them long-term. But, based on my reviews, test-drives, and inspections, I just don't see the same wide quality-gulf between them that existed, say, a few decades ago....though the Fusion sometimes shows a few cracks in the fit/finish. The 3Gen 1992-1996 Camry was like gold....ditto for the 4Gen 1990-1993 Accord, which didn't drive as smoothly as the Camry but, IMO, was even more solidly-assembled. But, that was then, and this is now. The competition, like it or not, has had a long time to catch up, while Toyota and Honda, while not necessarily sitting on their laurels, have fallen prey to cost-cutting. So, in my (humble) opinion, I'm not convinced that the old added-premium (and difficult deals in the showroom) is worth it any more for new Accords and Camrys. There's just too much other credible competition today....and you didn't mention one that is quite highly-rated by driving enthusiasts........the Mazda 6.

Personally, in that mid-size class, I like the Buick Regal and Kia Optima. The Regal, of course, is essentially a rebadged German Opel Insignia...not a traditional Buick. The Optima is well-built, and (again, in my humble opinion) a whale of a bargain for the money.....with the Verano now gone from the U.S. market, that's what I'd probably look at if I were spending 25-30K on a sedan.
Old 11-14-17, 05:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't actually owned any of them long-term. But, based on my reviews, test-drives, and inspections, I just don't see the same wide quality-gulf between them that existed, say, a few decades ago....though the Fusion sometimes shows a few cracks in the fit/finish. The 3Gen 1992-1996 Camry was like gold....ditto for the 4Gen 1990-1993 Accord, which didn't drive as smoothly as the Camry but, IMO, was even more solidly-assembled. But, that was then, and this is now. The competition, like it or not, has had a long time to catch up, while Toyota and Honda, while not necessarily sitting on their laurels, have fallen prey to cost-cutting. So, in my (humble) opinion, I'm not convinced that the old added-premium (and difficult deals in the showroom) is worth it any more for new Accords and Camrys. There's just too much other credible competition today....and you didn't mention one that is quite highly-rated by driving enthusiasts........the Mazda 6.

Personally, in that mid-size class, I like the Buick Regal and Kia Optima. The Regal, of course, is essentially a rebadged German Opel Insignia...not a traditional Buick. The Optima is well-built, and (again, in my humble opinion) a whale of a bargain for the money.....with the Verano now gone from the U.S. market, that's what I'd probably look at if I were spending 25-30K on a sedan.
I don't think that's what Jill is asking. Can the competition CHARGE as much for their products as a Camry/Accord?... and the answer is obviously no. If you price out the vehicles in the same manner, the Camry/Accord have a decent premium over its rivals. The reason the others sell decently is that a price gap does exist and people are very price sensitive.
Old 11-14-17, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think that's what Jill is asking. Can the competition CHARGE as much for their products as a Camry/Accord?... and the answer is obviously no.
In the past, no. Today....I'm not so sure. Unlike yesteryear, today, several of them are real competition.
Old 11-14-17, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think that's what Jill is asking. Can the competition CHARGE as much for their products as a Camry/Accord?... and the answer is obviously no. If you price out the vehicles in the same manner, the Camry/Accord have a decent premium over its rivals. The reason the others sell decently is that a price gap does exist and people are very price sensitive.
This is exactly what I am saying.

Just like Toyota can't get people to pay American prices for their Turdra.

Quick Reply: 2018 Accord