2018 Accord - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Accord

Reply

 
 
 
Old 10-23-17, 10:02 AM
  #1  
Wandl
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tx
Posts: 754
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default 2018 Accord

Early reviews of the 2018 Accord are favorable - I've been meaning to stop by my local Toyota dealership to check out the Camry (and still may do so) but the early head on comparisons lead towards the Accord!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/ for the 1.5T EX against a 2.5L XLE Camry with the best quote "Simply put, Toyota built a better Camry, but Honda built a better car."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/ then there is the Civic Type R-derived Accord 2.0 Touring with Adaptive Dampers vs the XSE V6 3.5L with Accord leading the pack again.

Can't wait to take one out for a spin!
Wandl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:12 AM
  #2  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 5,136
Thanked 163 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I like the turbo setup of the Honda, also that a stick is still available, but the looks of the Camry. go figure, you can't have it all!

edit just skimmed the article, and the brakes on both cars are puny with poor weight distribution....I wish the Japanese would not do that....lol (I know, reliability, reliability, reliability)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-23-17 at 10:15 AM.
Johnhav430 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:26 AM
  #3  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 5,773
Thanked 209 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Both are no doubt great cars, but for me I just couldn't buy an Accord based on the looks. I thought the previous one looked nice but there isn't a single angle of the new one that I like. For me, the choice would more likely be between the Camry and Mazda6, though I wish the Mazda had a V6 or turbo option.
JDR76 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 11:57 AM
  #4  
mk416
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 503
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Accord's residual value tends to be lower than Camry's, so you're taking on a bigger hit in terms of ownership or lease.

As far as the personal choice goes...Camry.
mk416 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 12:02 PM
  #5  
yardie876
Lexus Champion
 
yardie876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 3,255
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

My vote goes to the XSE Camry, but there’s a lot that appeals to me from the Accord. I just can’t stand how much the screen looks like an Etch-A-Sketch though. I’d paint it red just for the hell of it lol.
yardie876 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 02:56 PM
  #6  
oldcajun
Lexus Test Driver
 
oldcajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,085
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mk416 View Post
Accord's residual value tends to be lower than Camry's, so you're taking on a bigger hit in terms of ownership or lease.
.
Where does this info come from? Both KBB and NADA show a 2016 Accord priced higher than a comparable Camry. I used the EX-L compared to the XLE trim, both with V-6, auto, and 25000 miles.
oldcajun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 08:38 AM
  #7  
Wandl
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tx
Posts: 754
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oldcajun View Post
Where does this info come from? Both KBB and NADA show a 2016 Accord priced higher than a comparable Camry. I used the EX-L compared to the XLE trim, both with V-6, auto, and 25000 miles.
From my own buying experiences I've found the opposite to be true - that Accord's hold higher resale values. This could be because every Accord EX-L out there is similarly equipped (with or without navi) whereas some XLE's could have more/less options.

But because Camry's are part of fleet sales, I've seen 17 Camry's in the mid-teen range (I don't see 17 Accord's in that range often) on Hertz sales lots which leads me to believe Camry's wouldn't hold their value as well as Accord's. Again purely based on my experience, doesn't mean one car is better than the other based on this observation alone.
Wandl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 11:23 AM
  #8  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 5,136
Thanked 163 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wandl View Post
From my own buying experiences I've found the opposite to be true - that Accord's hold higher resale values. This could be because every Accord EX-L out there is similarly equipped (with or without navi) whereas some XLE's could have more/less options.

But because Camry's are part of fleet sales, I've seen 17 Camry's in the mid-teen range (I don't see 17 Accord's in that range often) on Hertz sales lots which leads me to believe Camry's wouldn't hold their value as well as Accord's. Again purely based on my experience, doesn't mean one car is better than the other based on this observation alone.
I don't know but I would tend to agree. I noticed that when I bought my used LS430 last year, I had a choice. 2006 LS430 with 81k miles, or 2014 Camry with 32-35k miles, SAME PRICE, or Camry up to around $600 less. This would imply that Camry's are not expensive and depreciate nicely. Note, the 2014.5 was more. Guess toyota likes being like porsche and having decimal points, 991.2, etc. I did the sensible thing and bought the 2006.
Johnhav430 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 05:14 PM
  #9  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 8,597
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Not sure why the MT article is surprising. Honda usually bests the Toyota Corolla and the Camry with their Accord and Civic. Usually Honda starts at more money. (Correct that. The Camry is more)

At the end of the day, the Toyota buyers will be happy and so will the Honda faithful

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 10-24-17 at 05:23 PM.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 05:49 PM
  #10  
peteharvey
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,284
Thanked 82 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
Both are no doubt great cars, but for me I just couldn't buy an Accord based on the looks. I thought the previous one looked nice but there isn't a single angle of the new one that I like. For me, the choice would more likely be between the Camry and Mazda6, though I wish the Mazda had a V6 or turbo option.
I think exactly the same way.
There is also evidence from the test drive that the Accord uses firmer/sportier springs and dampers, so just depends on your individual tastes in this department.
peteharvey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 06:39 PM
  #11  
sorptd
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Both dont have great front ends IMO. Camry does look better overall. I would go with the Camry hands down as long as they continue to offer that excellent V6 engine.
sorptd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 08:07 AM
  #12  
rogers2
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: dc/md
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Let me say....their has been 4 Honda Accord purchases in my office in the past 3 months. It's obvious the past two Honda Accord has been winners.
rogers2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 08:36 AM
  #13  
situman
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,265
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oldcajun View Post
Where does this info come from? Both KBB and NADA show a 2016 Accord priced higher than a comparable Camry. I used the EX-L compared to the XLE trim, both with V-6, auto, and 25000 miles.
Yea just based on sales alone would indicate a lower residual value for the camry. Much higher sales would indicate much higher used car supply so I dont see Camry having a higher resale value based on that.
situman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 08:37 AM
  #14  
situman
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,265
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wandl View Post
Early reviews of the 2018 Accord are favorable - I've been meaning to stop by my local Toyota dealership to check out the Camry (and still may do so) but the early head on comparisons lead towards the Accord!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/ for the 1.5T EX against a 2.5L XLE Camry with the best quote "Simply put, Toyota built a better Camry, but Honda built a better car."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...arison-review/ then there is the Civic Type R-derived Accord 2.0 Touring with Adaptive Dampers vs the XSE V6 3.5L with Accord leading the pack again.

Can't wait to take one out for a spin!

These car mags always put Accords and BMWs ahead of others no matter what. So I tend to ignore them other than for a nice bathroom read.
situman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 07:47 AM
  #15  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 53,812
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Default

while i try to go outside my comfort zone of symmetry i just don't like the asymmetric curve thing on the camry interior.

accord:


camry:
bitkahuna is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Accord


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: