Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kobe Steel Scandal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 12:00 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Kobe Steel Scandal

Tokyo – Top Japanese automakers said Wednesday they were scrambling to assess the quality of their vehicles that used products from Kobe Steel, which has admitted to falsifying quality data in a growing scandal.

Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi Motor, Subaru and Mazda joined aviation firms and defence contractors Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Kawasaki Heavy Industries and IHI that have used Kobe Steel products.

“Products used (for both Japanese and British trains) met safety standards.But they did not meet the specifications that were agreed between us and Kobe Steel,” a Hitachi spokesman told AFP.

The Kobe Steel scandal broke on Sunday when the manufacturer admitted to falsifying data linked to the strength and quality of products.

An internal probe has revealed that data were fabricated for about 19,300 tons of aluminium products, 2,200 tons of copper products and 19,400 units of aluminium castings and forgings shipped to clients between September 2016 through August 2017.

http://www.brief.news/japan-steel-sc...carmakers-hit/

Last edited by zhifan1; 10-15-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting to see that this is coming from Japan. I know Hyundai is the only auto manufacture in the world that owns there own steel plant.
Old 10-12-17, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting to see that this is coming from Japan. I know Hyundai is the only auto manufacture in the world that owns there own steel plant.

If Toyota likes to keep things in-house, then perhaps they should follow suit.
Old 10-12-17, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ford used to own the huge River Rouge Complex just outside of Detroit, which had its own integrated steel plant. But I think most of those operations were sold off (or contracted off) some time ago.

Actually, the complex is not that far from where you live in Toronto....you might have seen it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-17 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 09:57 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford used to own the huge River Rouge Complex just outside of Detroit, which had its own integrated steel plant. But I think most of those operations were sold off (or contracted off) some time ago.

Actually, the complex is not that far from where you live in Toronto....you might have seen it.
I grew up in S.E. Michigan during the '70s & '80s (in Flat Rock, where they now build the Mustang). My father, both grandfathers, and two uncles all retired from Ford, so I'd been in & around the Rouge complex many times as a kid. It was an impressive place back in its heyday.. They used to offer some really cool tours, too.. I remember being in awe of the 2-3 story tall steel presses in the stamping plant, and seeing giant orange slabs of steel get rolled into sheets at the hot strip mill. To this day, I'm still fascinated by heavy industry & large complex factories.

-Mike

Old 10-13-17, 10:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

just saw the article on Autoblog; 500 companies including Boeing are affected

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/13/...tified-metals/
Old 10-14-17, 06:27 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

They just announced there will be no recalls..wow..
Old 10-14-17, 06:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

figures, it would be impossible to find all the steel nor is it practical to replace it

need to find out how much the data was falsified. Few % maybe ok, but if its like 20-30%, thats really dicey
Old 10-14-17, 06:55 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Reports said it is more false advertising than a safety issue, though the steel do not have the toughness as claimed, but meets industry standards; it's like when they say this year's model is 30% more rigid than last year's model, but it's maybe only 5% tougher... but seriously, can't believe these reports anymore.
Old 10-14-17, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Reports said it is more false advertising than a safety issue, though the steel do not have the toughness as claimed, but meets industry standards; it's like when they say this year's model is 30% more rigid than last year's model, but it's maybe only 5% tougher... but seriously, can't believe these reports anymore.
Except for work-trucks and/or some large SUVs, most vehicles, today, have unibody-frames. With vehicle-frame rigidity, actual torsion (longitudinal) and lateral (twisting) tests are done at the factory during the vehicle's design, by supercomputers and/or actual force-application. I guess it's possible for engineers to falsify the reports (especially with a culture like that at VW LOL)...but most companies are honest.
Old 10-14-17, 11:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My main question, is will this steel rust???? Or is that more on the manufacturer to make sure the apply the proper coatings to any sort of steel to make sure it doesn't rust. I know Toyota got into some serious trouble with their truck frames back in the 90's/00's with them not being adequately rust-proofed. I forget if this was a supplier problem, ie not properly coating the frames, or if Toyota didn't spec the right type of rust proofing treatment.
Old 10-15-17, 06:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ Per the original post, it’s aluminum, not steel.
Old 10-15-17, 09:36 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except for work-trucks and/or some large SUVs, most vehicles, today, have unibody-frames. With vehicle-frame rigidity, actual torsion (longitudinal) and lateral (twisting) tests are done at the factory during the vehicle's design, by supercomputers and/or actual force-application. I guess it's possible for engineers to falsify the reports (especially with a culture like that at VW LOL)...but most companies are honest.
The design will be tested on the computer and then prototypes (that represent the final product) will be tested, but other than that there will be no testing. Because structural testing destroys the product, it is tremendously expensive and tests on the real product are minimised.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
My main question, is will this steel rust???? Or is that more on the manufacturer to make sure the apply the proper coatings to any sort of steel to make sure it doesn't rust. I know Toyota got into some serious trouble with their truck frames back in the 90's/00's with them not being adequately rust-proofed. I forget if this was a supplier problem, ie not properly coating the frames, or if Toyota didn't spec the right type of rust proofing treatment.
Similarly, incoming inspection in modern, large manufacturing facilities is minimised also because taking some sample of the incoming raw material to test destroys it; there may be non-destructive testing methods available, but that would be time-consuming, expensive and a duplication of the inspection efforts already performed by the supplier.
Old 10-15-17, 09:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Let's hope that this latest problem with Japanese manufacturers is not indicative of a much larger-scale cover-up.

There was the Mitsubishi Motors vehicle defect cover-up from the early 2000s, which probably led to its near-collapse, and eventual purchase and takeover of control by Nissan.

There was the massive Takata airbag recall caused by a cover-up of improperly manufactured airbags, that is leading to the eventual collapse of the supplier.

There was the recent Nissan Motors quality control problem in which Nissan admitted that unauthorized personnel had been handling final inspections but then stamping the reports with the seals of certified employees.

The Japanese have been known as honourable and honest business people. These scandals are ruining that reputation.
Old 10-15-17, 01:24 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

"After admitting Sunday that it provided false information about the strength and durability of some aluminum and copper, Japan's third-largest steel producer said data about iron ore powder and another product may also have been faked. Shares plunged 18 percent in Tokyo, with $1.6 billion wiped off the company's market value since the revelations were made."

"Iron ore powder is mainly used in making automobile components, according to Kobe Steel. Powders can be hardened to produce sintered parts, which are used in everything from the engine to the steering mechanism as well as the brakes and transmission, according to JFE Steel Corp., another Japanese producer."

Full article: http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-more-products

Affected Lexus models and parts.

"It is clear that the scandal of the Kobe Steel is a scandal, but the problem is not the steel field, but it is widely used in luxury cars and performance vehicles for lightweight aluminum alloy parts. Not the body of the main structure of the aluminum parts, but the bumper, hood and tailgate, etc. parts. For example, the Japanese high-performance car representative of the Honda NSX, the main body of the body are almost all different methods of aluminum alloy, only the roof and A column are steel,"

Taiwan news site.

As per the first article, affected materials that were shipped to Kobe steel's customers were from Sept 2016 to August 2017.

Last edited by zhifan1; 10-15-17 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Kobe Steel Scandal