Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi A8L

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 11:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new stuffs they put in this Gen, and V8 power is good. But I don’t see me buying one though, it’s too understated and neutral, kinda lack a flagship road presence. Maybe S8 or at least a S line would help a bit.
Old 10-12-17, 05:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Dag this is an En Vogue tune, I'm just never gonna get it. What a beautiful car, way better looking than the LS500 (but of course it's always this way with Audi). They just know how to make things better, generation after generation, and subtle. Wish there were a way to throw caution to the wind and get one.
Old 10-12-17, 06:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The other issue with all of the piano black plastic and displays is reflections. Even in the press photos you can see horrid reflections on that lower display.

The more I look at this car, the less I like it.
Old 10-12-17, 07:54 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Im usually always a fan of new designs but this A8 is aesthetically a step backward for Audi.
Old 10-12-17, 09:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Old 10-12-17, 09:36 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure what's going on with Audi's new design language, it's dreadfully boring. The A6 is the only good looking Audi, but I'm sure it will look like a longer A4 in its next iteration.
Old 10-12-17, 10:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like the designers had me in mind, but your pocketbooks....too bad they got it backwards....
Old 10-12-17, 04:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Very posh interior and I love the placement of the various displays. At the same time, the particular materials and dark color options are a little cold, like an executive boardroom. Not necessarily bad, the environment is decidedly more business-like. That is impressive how the navigation map occupies almost the entire dash area. A very handsome vehicle, except for the rear. That full-width brake light is too retro and old fashion.
Old 10-12-17, 06:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Not sure what's going on with Audi's new design language, it's dreadfully boring. The A6 is the only good looking Audi, but I'm sure it will look like a longer A4 in its next iteration.
Lol. An interesting styling critique madmax. What do you feel is the difference between the A6 and A8L in styling terms. I see a continuation of the line as far as wheelbase and options goes.

Audi A6 2017.

Audi A8L 2018.

Originally Posted by G star
Im usually always a fan of new designs but this A8 is aesthetically a step backward for Audi.
I've never known or seen Audi sedans in their A class to go nuts with over the top styling. IMO, it's about keeping the basic shape and evolving it incrementally. That's a good thing to me.

I think this A8L looks good. Even if it does appear boring to some critics, doesn't mean it's not a beautiful clean aesthetic shape. There are some designs that have to be so over the top, that they just shriek "look at me because I'm obnoxious". You don't need that in a class of cars that do not participate in the boy-racer, fast and furious market.
Old 10-12-17, 10:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Pretty plain looking like mentioned above.. Put this side by side with a current A6 and they both look the same IMO... The Older model A8 stood out more with its massive grill and big bodied wheel base..
Old 10-13-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. An interesting styling critique madmax. What do you feel is the difference between the A6 and A8L in styling terms. I see a continuation of the line as far as wheelbase and options goes.

Audi A6 2017.

Audi A8L 2018.

I've never known or seen Audi sedans in their A class to go nuts with over the top styling. IMO, it's about keeping the basic shape and evolving it incrementally. That's a good thing to me.

I think this A8L looks good. Even if it does appear boring to some critics, doesn't mean it's not a beautiful clean aesthetic shape. There are some designs that have to be so over the top, that they just shriek "look at me because I'm obnoxious". You don't need that in a class of cars that do not participate in the boy-racer, fast and furious market.
Cars like that were in the $12k range last year (the last pic), but I spent more and got a LS430. It was so tempting....car that sold for $78k in 2006, for sale in the 12's. In almost every case, the mileages were lower than a LS430 of the same vintage. If memory serves me the bodies are aluminum. If you talk to my uncle he just grins and bears it as he owns 2 A6's and does everything himself. Lots of parts and labor to keep them on the road but he as I said grins and bears it. The front of one of the two cars will always be off everytime we go over to his place. It was hilarious at one point he was swapping headlamps from one to the other depending on which car he wanted to drive, didn't want to pony up for OE xenons...the ABS failed on both cars and we went to a junkyard to get a module off of a Passat, and it too was faulty. This was prior to me doing it myself on the BMW, at that time I really didn't understand what the issue was...this is a high bang for buck DIY ($4,200 vs. $249)
Old 10-13-17, 05:41 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

@jonhav430. So would a 2012 A6 or A7 model Audi worth getting or is it nothing but headaches? A coworker wants a Q3 and she's a afraid of the same thing, Always in the shop..
Old 10-13-17, 06:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
@jonhav430. So would a 2012 A6 or A7 model Audi worth getting or is it nothing but headaches? A coworker wants a Q3 and she's a afraid of the same thing, Always in the shop..
Can't really say, if it were me, I'd go onto their forums, my budget was only $15k, so that had me looking at 2005-06 A8's online which were beautiful....but, my buddy's wife had a 2012 Q5 2.0T CPO, and it was nothing but headaches at 85k miles. Oil consumption (which I think was solved the next model year), and random stalling (seems like the web addresses this too). Had a panoramic roof where the sunshade broke and I think the dealer wanted almost $3k to fix (again lengthy DIY online on how to fix, he had to pin it aside). The way the car was, was annoying enough, but the fact that say the car stalled under CPO, it's towed to dealer, dealer can't find anything, $360 diagnostic charge was what broke the proverbial camel's back, as well as the CPO soon ending. Stalled again, towed to another dealer, couldn't find anything, waived the charge, and oddly, they did fix the sunshade as well for the deductible.

My sis in-law has a '17 A4 and she hasn't had any issues. Hate to say it, seems like most people lease cars of this caliber, so they assume no matter what happens, it will always be under warranty...it's not my car 37 mos. from now...

Buddy's wife got a new (they never buy new) NX200t, and haven't looked back. And his wife even got a stripped car, vs. the loaded Q5, because she has to drive for her work. The only dislikes on the NX is the premium fuel, and B temp rated tires from the factory.....speaking of the devil he texted me today it went in for the 5k service (free), and not even the oil was changed. All that was done was a tire rotation (a bit soon?) and a car wash....no loaner and 1 1/2 hr. wait. That is also a different experience than with German cars, always a loaner no matter how small the job. You just have to have a pulse of 60 or above to get the loaner....

If it were in my disposable income range, I'd try the A8, maybe someday...but I seem set on the LS500...and again it's the Japanese design/reliability factor...
Old 10-13-17, 06:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Currently I'm on my second Audi and have been more than satisfied. We bought a Q5 and it was problem free with routine maintenance only. My wife still misses it. After that we bought an A6 and so far the same story with no issues at all. Audi reliability seems to have been on the upswing lately. When we got the Q5 I went in with fingers crossed but have been happy.
Old 10-13-17, 08:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm definitely in the minority but I like it a lot. Sure there are a couple small things I don't care for stylingwise but overall I like it better than the LS500. Of course that could all change once I see both in person.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi A8L