Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Enclave First Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 04:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Got the chance to sit in the new Enclave.
Thoughts are mixed. Overall, I like the Buick design theme inside, but the interior does not have same level of quality or fit and finish as a Lacrosse.

Good stuff:
Nice style
Avenir looks like a nice package
Good Buick design theme
Good Year tires with a very long treadwear rating
Nice illuminating vanity mirrors

Bad stuff:
Lots of cheap feeling light materials
Hard plastic on the seat cushion surrounding
No adjustments for seat belts in the front (cost cutting as the previous model had it)
Faux wood on $54K vehicle is unacceptable
The dumbest and absolute worst sunroof sliding shade ever
So so leather or faux leather seats in an otherwise expensive price point
No color Tri sheild Buick emblem
I could probably go on and on as this new vehicle did not feel very well built.

Overall, it's ok. The Lexus RX is clearly a nicer more luxurious vehicle. It's absolutely clear GM figured ways to cost cut this new Enclave.

Note, I didn't drive it as we were just looking at the cars in the back lot killing time today. I did not feel like dealing with the sales staff.
I'm a GM fan if I were a fan of one of the American cos. But just talking to my wife's cousin who is in the business of supplying the big 3, it's not very promising, meaning that what people were studying in b school 40 years ago, seems to still prevail today (if we save x over y number of cars, we save z). I used to go in each and every time I got the test drive for $50 offers, and as mentioned, I took that regal turbo off the lot and right back in, literally found the first place to do a k turn. I would love to rave about the Envision seeing as my dad bought one, but does it really do things better than a cr-v, probably not. The one disappointment I would have in reading about it is the powertrain, it's like dropping a 2009 motor into a 2018 car. The other weak thing about GM is the bose licensing, the systems never sounded too good imho, they seem like just badges on the speaker grilles....
Old 10-25-17, 05:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep......comfort is the name of the game with big Buicks. It was one of the a main reasons (though not the only one, by any means) why I recently chose a Lacrosse.
MM, you bought a Lacrosse?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Reading the review. Well done. Is it me or is Buick now becoming the Lexus of yesteryear?
I agree!
Old 10-25-17, 06:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The MotorWeek web site had the list from a recent reliability survey (the source should remain nameless) and Buick's Encore CUV is rated as their most reliable vehicle.

Buick is the top rated domestic brand, although it dropped 5 spots from last year to #8 overall. The Lacrosse was listed as their least reliable model. BMW is in the #5 spot now right behind Audi.
Old 10-25-17, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Lacrosse was listed as their least reliable model.
does it explain why?
Old 10-25-17, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does it explain why?
Complaints from the shifting from the 8-speed transmission used in the redesigned 2017 version (for only one year), and the in-car electronics (video-screen, Infotainment, etc... failing). For 2018, the Lacrosse (like my car) got the new 9-speed transmission that is probably not reflected in the reliability survey...not enough of them have been sold yet. The 2018 also introduces a new 4-cylinder hybrid base drivetrain that is not reflected in the survey, either.
Old 10-25-17, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
MM, you bought a Lacrosse?
No, not really. I paid for it with counterfeit bills..........

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-17 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-25-17, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The MotorWeek web site had the list from a recent reliability survey (the source should remain nameless) and Buick's Encore CUV is rated as their most reliable vehicle.
The Verano was formerly rated as the most reliable Buick, but sales dropped sharply in 2016 and 2017, so the database for that reliability shrunk with it. Meanwhile, of course, with the SUV craze, sales of the Encore exploded....there's a huge database for it now.

My own Verano, for over five years, never needed any repairs per se, though it did have a couple of engineering quirks and very minor issues.

Buick is the top rated domestic brand, although it dropped 5 spots from last year to #8 overall.
One theory as to why Buicks do so well in comparison to other domestics, besides the obvious Opel influence on their smaller models, is that they are generally well-cared for, not driven hard, and avoid a lot of stress on their components. I stress, though, that that is a theory, and not necessarily a proven fact.
Old 10-25-17, 06:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does it explain why?
No, it was a one page listing of some areas.
Old 10-25-17, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Complaints from the shifting from the 8-speed transmission used in the redesigned 2017 version (for only one year), and the in-car electronics (video-screen, Infotainment, etc... failing). For 2018, the Lacrosse (like my car) got the new 9-speed transmission that is probably not reflected in the reliability survey...not enough of them have been sold yet. The 2018 also introduces a new 4-cylinder hybrid base drivetrain that is not reflected in the survey, either.
A friend gave me a copy of the annual car issue and it looks like the problem areas of recent Lacrosse models were power equipment and in car electronics. Transmissions (both major and minor issues) look to be a strong area as the ratings were Well Above Average for several model years.
Old 10-25-17, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A friend gave me a copy of the annual car issue and it looks like the problem areas of recent Lacrosse models were power equipment and in car electronics. Transmissions (both major and minor issues) look to be a strong area as the ratings were Well Above Average for several model years.
That Annual Car Issue (presumably from last April) is six months old...with a lot of new data since then.

This is directly from CR's own explanation for the Lacrosse's drop in reliability from 2016 to 2017:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...y-survey-2017/

Trouble spots: Some owners complained that the eight-speed automatic transmission that replaced the previous six-speed version caused rough shifting. They had problems with the new, nontraditional gear selector and registered their concerns about the infotainment system, complaining that the display goes blank, navigation is buggy, and phones are difficult to pair.

Like I said earlier, though, the Lacrosse only used that 8-speed transmission for one year.....replaced by the 2018's 9-speed. GM and Ford, together, put an enormous amount of effort into designing that new 9-speed. It will be interesting to see what the reliability ratings are for it, which won't be available until next year, though the 2017 Malibu Premier used a less-robust version of it this year with the turbo 4-cylinder.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-17 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We're also getting a little off-topic...the new Enclave.
Old 10-25-17, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Like I just mentioned, the Avenir's steering wheel is genuine polished wood (Mahogany), though it is unclear if the trim piece that runs across the lower-dash is real wood or not.
I would hope that the rest of the wood is real if the steering wheel is.