Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Enclave First Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 07:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM uses small 1.5L turbo fours in the Malibu and some similar-sized vehicles, which is more or less Ecoboost-style.

Power, in general (whether HP or torque) does not sell the majority of vehicles...it is the auto press and enthusiasts that are mainly interested in it. The majority of the buying public usually puts reliability first.

Vehicles of this size benefit from torque (remember the old days when people guessed a tractor trailer must have over 1000 HP to be able to do what it does, and then were shocked it was only (today) 400 or even less? Because the motor develops 1700 ft. lbs. or greater and all the while delivers 7 mpg (excellent considering the work achieved).

Many of today's turbos can get along with 87 octane...although my guess is that, with 87, the engine computer, to control pinging/detonation, simply won't allow as much compression or boost. You can save a fair amount of money with 87, if the engine will handle it.....in my area, currently, 93 octane is above $3.00, while 87 runs roughly from $2.30 to $2.50. Yesterday, with my Giant Food discount points, I paid $2.19 for Shell 87, while 93 at that very same station was a almost a dollar more...$3.15

Just as an aside note (and I've posted on this before)...no offense, but I'd avoid cut-rate brands like Costco. While it is true that gas (and octane) itself is usually the same no matter where you buy it, the quality of the detergent-additives (or no additives) can vary enormously from the cut-rate to the major-name-brands. In general, Shell and Chevron tend to have the best additives....Chevron's Techroline has an especially good reputation.

edit p.s. on the gas prices, I got Costco premium in NJ for $2.59 last week, it has gone up to $2.65. Regular is $2.25.

I used to do the shell rebates and I filled my wife's car at I think it was 25 cents per gallon, when gas was over $3--that was a great rebate until people in the supply chain started ripping off the rebate codes--I bought the 5 qt jugs at Walmart and little did I know they had already been opened and the codes used. Once I even got used motor oil inside, boy was I pissed.

We have Giant too but we're only a family of 3 and we may get 30 cents off tops with our rewards, and this is at best the spread between PA and NJ, and I work in NJ.....

With semis, it's not just the engine torque, but also the transmission. Large semi-trucks typically have well over a dozen gears...and Jake-Brakes, which work through engine-compression.
Sad to see automatics are now standard in tractors too. I wish it were financially feasible to run out and buy a M3 stick etc. (I'd keep it forever so it's a matter of not having disposable income to do so) while they still exist, it's just not.

Costco is top tier, so I feel it's more than good enough for my BMW and Lexus....for a decade I put up with the, "If you fill up at Costco, you don't deserve a BMW." On the other forum.

One thread really, really, cracked me up (you know how certain ones you remember even after a decade, like on the Nissan one the guy who said sorry guys I know I've been gone, I just got out of prison [there was like a 12 yr. absence]), guy said he just shopped at Costco and a cart dented his E90. Another person said there's your problem right there, shopping at Costco....

I will say this, although Costco is a store that thrives on impulse buying, imho they are good for tires, diapers, and gasoline....imho

edit where'd my typing go? lol

edit 2 sorry for the double post! yikes

On the gas prices, I got Costco premium for $2.59 last week, it's gone up to $2.65. Regular is $2.25.

We also have Giant but we're only a family of 3 with a 3 y.o., so the best we ever do is $0.30/gal discount, and that is the spread or slightly less, between PA and NJ. I work in NJ and can fill up in NJ....I will sometimes fill up the gas cans for the lawnmower/snowblower at Giant rather than cross the bridge with cans...

I used to do the Shell rebates and I bought gas for I think 25 cents/gal. That was a great rebate but codes were getting ripped off through the supply chain. I got at least 3 jugs with used codes, and 1 jug filled with old motor oil, at walmart. Boy are humans ingenious....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-10-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Correct, Costco is not a "cut rate" fuel brand. They're a Top Tier fuel supplier.
Old 10-10-17, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Correct, Costco is not a "cut rate" fuel brand. They're a Top Tier fuel supplier.

If that is indeed the case, I'll stand corrected.....but, in most cases, brands like that usually are cut-rate. With the Giant Food bonus-program (which I use regularly), one can get discounts on Shell, which has long been considered one of the best brands.

Chevron's Techroline is (arguably) the best additive of all, but, for some reason , they pulled out of the D.C. area several years ago, and just don't sell around here anymore. Here in NoVa, several of their stations became Liberty stations.
Old 10-10-17, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,400 Posts

ok this isn't about gas prices or gas brands... please.

about the 2018 enclave is it 'all new' or just a makeover?
Old 10-10-17, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
All new vehicle from what I can tell.

I don't care for the style, looks more like a minivan than an SUV...but its a nice package overall.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Given the changes to the interior and trim, and other changes under the skin, I'd consider it mostly, but not totally, new.

Old 10-10-17, 01:10 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't care for the style, looks more like a minivan than an SUV...but its a nice package overall.
imho by 2018 standards, it's just too underpowered...but who knows, maybe it will get a new motor at some point....

GM is a bit laid back, look at the live axle on the then "all new" Suburban...incredible...

Old 10-10-17, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

GM is a bit laid back, look at the live axle on the then "all new" Suburban...incredible...

One of the reasons for the Suburban's popularity (and that of similar big GM SUVs) is because they have a live axle. Owners like its towing ability, durability, ability to take punishment, and the need for only 2-wheel alignments instead of four.
Old 10-10-17, 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I actually don't think thats really the case at all. Look at all the vehicles that sell with poor reliability records...
Absolutely correct. Reliability is not high on the list. Status, marketing, level of equipment, the initial test drive which is supposed to induce am emotion which reinforces a belief about the brand all come before reliability.

I chose reliability and fuel economy. If I didn't, I wouldn't get a Toyota. I would love a small Mercedes or Audi. Just can't afford it in the long run and knobody knows what is gonna happen outside of warranty.
Old 10-10-17, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would love a small Mercedes or Audi. Just can't afford it in the long run and knobody knows what is gonna happen outside of warranty.
(emphasis mine)

nobody knows what's going to happen in the next moment. life's too short to be a slave to fuel economy and reliability only. granted, i know no one wants to waste time waiting for a tow truck or at the dealer, but i think those days are behind us for the VAST majority of car purchasers of all brands today.
Old 10-10-17, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely correct. Reliability is not high on the list. Status, marketing, level of equipment, the initial test drive which is supposed to induce am emotion which reinforces a belief about the brand all come before reliability.
Can't speak for everyone, but most of the people I advise and shop with seem to place a lot of emphasis on reliability. Nobody wants a lemon.

I chose reliability and fuel economy. If I didn't, I wouldn't get a Toyota. I would love a small Mercedes or Audi. Just can't afford it in the long run and knobody knows what is gonna happen outside of warranty.
Choosing Audi today does not necessarily mean giving up reliability. Consumer Reports has its brand-reliability almost as high as Toyota/Lexus and Buick.
Old 10-10-17, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And as you alluded to, it depends on the buyer. There are buyers for whom "reliability" is the most important thing, but there are clearly plenty of buyers for whom other attributes of a car are more important.

Even for me, it used to be one of the biggest things for me, but as cars in general have gotten more reliable and I've had a taste of less reliable but "better" cars, I'm not really willing to compromise on style and substance just for reliability any more.
Old 10-10-17, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Even for me, it used to be one of the biggest things for me, but as cars in general have gotten more reliable and I've had a taste of less reliable but "better" cars, I'm not really willing to compromise on style and substance just for reliability any more.

Nevertheless, the Lexus LS is one of the most reliable cars in production. You don't have to compromise for that, either.
Old 10-10-17, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nevertheless, the Lexus LS is one of the most reliable cars in production. You don't have to compromise for that, either.
For my next car though I’m contemplating cars with less stellar reputations in that area though.
Old 10-10-17, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Buick's reliable... next...

Quick Reply: 2018 Buick Enclave First Drive Review