Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 BMW i3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 BMW i3

2018 BMW i3 announced, with new i3s performance model

Electric vehicles are generally focused on efficiency, but, as Tesla and Formula E have demonstrated, there's huge potential for performance from electric powertrains. BMW has showcased the power of electricity with its i8. Today, BMW has announced its new i3, which, among other updates, includes a slightly hotter variant called the i3s.

The new i3 gets a modest makeover. Its A-pillar and roofline now receive a glossy black finish that matches other accents on the car. The redesigned front and rear bumpers give the i3 a wider look. The front bumper has a matte-black U-shaped accent surrounding the horizontal LED turn indicators. LED low and high beams and daytime running lights now come standard. The rear of the car gets a horizontal chrome strip across the tailgate, and the badges are pushed out toward the edges, emphasizing the sense of width. The i3 also gets two new colors for the 2018 model year: Melbourne Red metallic and Imperial Blue metallic.

The interior remains mostly unchanged, still making use of sustainable materials and providing a sense of openness. The Giga World trim level now offers Giga Brown leather (tanned using olive leaf extract) and Carum Spice Grey wool cloth seat surfaces. The new i3 also includes the latest version of the BMW iDrive interface. The 10-inch touchscreen is of higher resolution, and the voice recognition uses cloud-based speech processing.

New for 2018, BMW is offering a sportier version of the i3 called the i3s. It is more powerful than the standard i3 (which leaves output unchanged at 170 horsepower, 184 pound-feet of torque), at 184 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque. Its track is wider by 1.57 inches, with a 0.4-inch lower ride height, providing a more aggressive stance. The i3s's sport suspension includes unique springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars. The sporty model gets 20-inch light-alloy wheels that are a half-inch wider than the standard i3's shoes. The i3s has a number of exterior design accents to set it apart, as well as blue seat belts inside the car.

The Sport driving mode offered in the i3s tightens the steering and sharpens acceleration, providing a 0-60 mile-per-hour time of 6.8 seconds, an improvement of 0.4 seconds compared to the standard i3. The i3s also has a higher top speed of 100 miles per hour, compared to the standard model's 93-mph limit. While the i3s isn't doing anything majorly transformative in terms of performance, it's nice that BMW is acknowledging there's more fun to be had while still being conscientious about consumption.
Source
Old 09-01-17, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice improvements to the exterior vs the old (below) IMO

Old 09-02-17, 01:43 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The i3, the Chevy Bolt, the Nissan Leaf, the new Prius, what are these designers and marketing people smoking???? Why does your electric or hybrid car have to be so damn ugly??? I'm being dead serious, that is one of the reasons electric and plug in electric/hybrid cars have not gained widespread acceptance. They are ****ing ugly and the wrong body shape. Make these damn things look like a CR-V, Rav-4, etc with the same cargo/people carrying volume, they'll sell a lot more units.

IMO great styling is one of the reasons Tesla has succeeded in the marketplace. Can you imagine if the Model S looked like a larger version of the Nissan Leaf? Nobody would have bought one if it was that damn dorky.
Old 09-02-17, 05:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I drove the i3 at work when a colleague had one on an extended test drive. For the life of me I don't understand how on a 54k stickered car, the dashboard is made of cardboard. Not only that, it was brand new, and the fuel door (extended model) did not fit properly. BMW imho has gone downhill since about 2012, when it seems sporty cars is reserved for the M cars, whereas this was in every car they built prior. Now, as we've seen here, even M cars are getting cost-cutting applied to them....
Old 09-02-17, 09:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The i3, the Chevy Bolt, the Nissan Leaf, the new Prius, what are these designers and marketing people smoking????
I don't know, but whatever it is they need to lay off or smoke something else. 100% agree with you these things are hideous they have basically every ugly styling cue all rolled into one vomit inducing package. Maybe some auto makers are desperately trying to keep the electric car from being successful.