Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did Audi ship thousands of cars with same VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Did Audi ship thousands of cars with same VIN?

Prosecutors investigating Audi's involvement in the Dieselgate scandal have stumbled onto a stranger mystery: Investigators found documents suggesting that thousands of vehicles exported to China, Korea and Japan may have been stamped with identical vehicle identification numbers.

The discovery, reported by the German business journal Handelsblatt, was made when investigators searched Audi's audit department for documents related to the Dieselgate scandal during a wide-ranging raid in March. It came after the German Transport Ministry accused the company of cheating on emissions testing for 24,000 Audi A7 and A8 diesels. According to the report, Audi's auditors had the documents about duplicate VINs because they were assessing a "risk of discovery."

Audi professed ignorance, with a spokesman saying, "We are not aware of the fact the VIN numbers have been issued more than once."

VIN numbers are supposed to be unique to each vehicle, with 17 digits and capital letters that identify that vehicle's DNA — including features such as where a car was built, the model year and engine specifications. They're used to track recalls, ownership histories, registrations and thefts, among other things.

Under EU and German laws, VIN numbers are supposed to remain unduplicated for at least 30 years.

Investigators told Handelsblatt they were puzzled as to why Audi would produce vehicles under common VIN numbers.

Audi, a division of Volkswagen Group, in June issued a recall for around 24,000 A7 and A8 models built between 2009 and 2013. It later said it would update engine software blamed for the emissions cheating scandal on up to 850,000 diesel cars.

But the VIN mystery adds a new wrinkle.

If nothing else, the duplicate VINs would make for an interesting Carfax search.
Source
Old 08-25-17, 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Can identical VIN have the same key also?
Old 08-25-17, 03:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It looks like you are being sarcastic so that this is a rhetorical question, but, regardless, I will answer: I don't believe that an incorrect VIN will affect the ignition key.
Old 08-25-17, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Most newer Audis are not even started with a key. The only thing those "keys" are used for is to open the door in an emergency.

And, on top of that, there should never be two identical VINs. Sometimes, on rare occasions, two different cars can use the same key....but the chances of that happening are only about one in many thousands.
Old 08-25-17, 08:16 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder how they registered all those cars ?? Unless VIN is not required in China.
Old 08-26-17, 07:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most newer Audis are not even started with a key. The only thing those "keys" are used for is to open the door in an emergency.

And, on top of that, there should never be two identical VINs. Sometimes, on rare occasions, two different cars can use the same key....but the chances of that happening are only about one in many thousands.
"key" is now used to denote a key fob/passive key as well. Not the literal metal bladed key.
Old 08-26-17, 08:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
"key" is now used to denote a key fob/passive key as well. Not the literal metal bladed key.
This is how they are referred to around our house.
Old 08-26-17, 08:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I wonder how they registered all those cars ?? Unless VIN is not required in China.
Registration may record the VIN (I am only speculating), but unless there is an explicit search for duplicate VINs -- either manually or automated via registration entry software -- the fact that 2 or more cars have the same VIN may not be discovered.
Old 08-26-17, 09:48 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It looks like you are being sarcastic so that this is a rhetorical question, but, regardless, I will answer: I don't believe that an incorrect VIN will affect the ignition key.
Yes, I was being sarcastic hence the , but thanks for entertaining my question
Old 08-26-17, 11:03 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

In 1984 I worked at a Chevrolet store and we locked both simple mechanical keys inside a Corvette.
Close of business Saturday night we needed to move it from it's display spot outside the gates.
We ended up taking every (Every!) key from the hook board (300+!) and tried each door key in
the Vette door. Half an hour later, click, a Chevette key turned! The companion ignition key did
not work in the Corvette BTW but we were good to go (home) with the correct keys.
Old 08-26-17, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^^ good story.
Old 08-26-17, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
In 1984 I worked at a Chevrolet store and we locked both simple mechanical keys inside a Corvette.
Close of business Saturday night we needed to move it from it's display spot outside the gates.
We ended up taking every (Every!) key from the hook board (300+!) and tried each door key in
the Vette door. Half an hour later, click, a Chevette key turned! The companion ignition key did
not work in the Corvette BTW but we were good to go (home) with the correct keys.
Typically (though it is a VERY rough estimate), 1 key in 1500 or so will operate any given lock....though it varies by manufacturer and vehicle.
Old 08-26-17, 07:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
By random chance, a friend of mine when I was in high school had purchased a pair of Chevy S-10s ('89 standard cab 4x4 and '91 extended cab 4x2 if memory serves) where at least one set of keys matched. Don't remember if both did.
Old 08-27-17, 05:54 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Registration may record the VIN (I am only speculating), but unless there is an explicit search for duplicate VINs -- either manually or automated via registration entry software -- the fact that 2 or more cars have the same VIN may not be discovered.
Duplicated VIN should trigger some kind of database error because it is suppose to be the ID for each vehicle. Given that VIN can only be reused every 30 years, it should only be possible to save similar VIN in combination with a different Year.
Old 08-27-17, 11:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Apparently their DBAs have never heard of a Primary Key

Quick Reply: Did Audi ship thousands of cars with same VIN?