Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It also begs the question if anybody who can afford to own an S65 would actually want to sell it.
first, most are leased. second, people who can afford cars like this typically don't keep them very long. the depreciation isn't that big a deal to them.
Old 08-04-17, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first, most are leased. second, people who can afford cars like this typically don't keep them very long. the depreciation isn't that big a deal to them.

That wasn't quite what I was referring to. A car like that could be addicting to people....power, comfort, refinement, almost every conveninece item inside possible. Wouldn't necessarily be my first choice (something in the Lacrosse/MKX/G80/ES/Cadenza class is fine with me), but a number of people would sell their soul for an S65.
Old 08-04-17, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
2014 S63s are going for high 70s, low 80s with decently low mileage. great fun and prestige for that price
you're right this one has 14k mi!
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1955/overview/

and this one is renntech tuned
Old 08-04-17, 10:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The prestige is not merit based, it's based on the the big Mercedes grill, star, and S-class nameplate. Put all of these on an LS460 and you will garner the same prestige. Not that an LS lacks for prestige.

A Model S Tesla, now that's a car with merit-based prestige, and I bet people would be more impressed with that than any S-class.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
their lack of prestige must be why most diplomats the world over are ferried around in s-classes, why they're in front of every high end hotel in every major city in the world, why they're seen on the most famous rich streets (rodeo drive), etc.

funny, you bash the s-class interior yet the tesla s interior is in some ways weaker than a premium brand.

to some, i'm sure, but the ls has a tough road to dethrone the s class.
Apart from badge, I think one of the biggest areas why S Class rules the LS and the rest of the competition including 7 Series etc is on styling.
Look at how "stately" the S Class styling is.
A true diplomat's vehicle.

By comparison, the original 2007 4LS clean & slick styling almost got there.

Only to be ruined by midlife refreshed 4.5LS styling which went backwards, losing the clean/slick front end, and aging rapidly.

Though the rear isn't too bad from this angle.

The forthcoming 5LS is really plain and uninspiring.

Old 08-04-17, 10:52 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't think I've ever looked twice at an LS460 driving down the street. Maybe it's because they're everywhere around my area. I'll take a 2nd look at an S63/65 though..
People actually double take the LS on the road? I've never looked twice at one either... Don't even know why the 2 are being compared , the S class is on a whole different level.
Old 08-04-17, 11:16 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Apart from badge, I think one of the biggest areas why S Class rules the LS and the rest of the competition including 7 Series etc is on styling.
Look at how "stately" the S Class styling is.
A true diplomat's vehicle.
The W221 was one of the worst and most ameteur styled flagship sedans in modern memory - and it looks ancient today.

The W222 is much improved, but still a bit bland, especially towards the rear. Those blobs for headlights don't help it on the stately-o-meter either.

The LS460 was better styled than both. It's rear end in particular was very stately:

Compare it to the W221, with its harsh surfaces and comical wheel arches,

And the W222:

And the LS500, which in IRL photos is actually quite a pretty car:

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS-rfoqe9f.jpg
2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS-64ksfw3.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-04-17 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 11:30 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The new S-class is gorgeous, very sophisticated, and refuses to be ignored. I wanted an S-class before deciding on an LS. We could afford to buy a used S-class, but I was doubtful we could afford to maintain one. That W221 though is one ugly car and belongs more in the 1980s or 90s than post-second-millenium. I love cars in general and also like the A8 a lot too. I'm not too impressed with recent BMWs. Too many models in the BMW stable that don't really differentiate themselves all that well -- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8-series, x3, x5, x6, plus sub-models within each series and convertibles too, the brand has become too diluted. Besides recognizing other LSes on the road, the S-class is among the few remaining cars on the road (besides the occasional Ferrari/Lambo/NSX) that still gets my immediate attention. That said, if we never own an S-class I would still be perfectly happy with our LS.

BTW, got my third "nice Lexus" compliment today since owning the car for five months. Usually, people are impressed by the car but only seldom does someone actually come up to me and make it a point to compliment our 2013 LS. I never received any compliments when we had the LS 430, but with the LS 460 strangers have asked about the Flaxen leather, teenagers have yelled out their approval from the sidewalk, colleagues have characterized the interior as "beautiful", and today a Costco employee felt compelled to acknowledge our "nice Lexus" while he was helping someone load their GMC Acadia. I am sure an S-class would have garnered more attention and appreciation from strangers, if only from the badge. Am also noticing a lot more Lexus on the roads in our area, mostly ISes, Res, and ESes. People are starting to realize they can just pay a little more to move up from mainstream brands. However, this is starting to give a feeling that anyone can get into a Lexus and it is no longer as exclusive as it once was. The S-class still has that exclusive/elusive quality, something to aspire to.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-04-17 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I think you're embellishing. Granted I don't know if you're referring to the $90k S-class (the real S-class) or the $150k-$200k S-class (the S-class used for marketing).
There is no $90k S Class. The S Class starts at $97k, and it's almost impossible to find one for less than $100k.

Why would I embellish my opinion of a vehicle I don't own as compared to the vehicle I do own? What would be my motivation for doing that?

And in fact this is a complaint I had for the A8 as well. You can call it woven matrix or whatever, it looks and feels cheap. The LS460 door panels are buuutttery soft, and beautifully stitched. Go feel your own W222, door panels rock hard, even if they are covered in leather. Same goes for seats and arm rests.
I don't have an S Class, I have an LS460. I've never felt anything rock hard in any of the S Classes I've driven. I personally value real materials in luxury cars and it bugs me my LS460 has fake leather stitched door panels and dash, especially when my LS400 and LS430 had real leather.

All the A8s I've ever seen have a beautiful
Alcantara headliner with LED light piping and opera lighting.

Yes the S-class interior has a slight edge overall over the LS460, but never did I feel it was $30k+ better inside.
Hard to quantify it, is an LS460 interior $30k better than a GS350?!

But forget the LS460, like I said the W222 is 7 years newer. The LS500 design wise at least blows the W222 interior out of the water.

I just don't agree. No elegance in that at all IMHO, I would never choose that bordello red and cut glass. I do like the more traditional LS500 trim option in some ways, but overall I think the S Class is way classier looking.

I also think Lexus stitching quality is the best in the industry right now.The prestige is not merit based, it's based on the the big Mercedes grill, star, and S-class nameplate. Put all of these on an LS460 and you will garner the same prestige. Not that an LS lacks for prestige.
Prestige is often not merit based, and the LS has some prestige but nothing like an S Class. I know, I've had three. Nobody gives it a second look, once in a VERY great while I might get a "nice car". In reality, my GS got a lot more attention, as did oddly enough my Jeeps.

The LS is very anonymous, which is not a bad thing per se.

Sales and merit don't always go hand in hand.
HAHAHAHA. It's a business my friend, sales are the very definition of merit.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-05-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 09:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The new LS doesn't even have a V8 anymore while all the others not only have several V8 choices but also offer a V12!
That is prestige.

If you won the lottery tomorrow and wanted a flagship sedan, 99.9% of people would not choose the LS.
Old 08-05-17, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you won the lottery tomorrow and wanted a flagship sedan, 99.9% of people would not choose the LS.
Yep, and it's always been a value purchase. I've always loved my LS sedans but the value proposition has always been a big part of the selection process.
Old 08-05-17, 11:41 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new LS doesn't even have a V8 anymore while all the others not only have several V8 choices but also offer a V12!
That is prestige.

I find that hard to believe. I feel the new LS looks amazing vs the competition. I bet sales will show a nice jump over the previous gen (obviously since it's new). It won't match the S class for sales, but that's because everyone wants one. Imo, I want something unique and a little different, not what everyone has (Mercedes).
Old 08-05-17, 01:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

That is prestige.

The LS500 will likely be the best flagship sedan you can buy all things considered.

But yes most will go after the three pointed star.
Old 08-05-17, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS500 will likely be the best flagship sedan you can buy all things considered.
Unless you want a V8...
Old 08-05-17, 01:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Unless you want a V8...
That will be the LS-F.
Old 08-05-17, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That will be the LS-F.
That's just it. I don't want a sporty LS-F. I want a regular luxury model LS with a V8. If I were to buy an S Class I would prefer the S550 to the AMG models.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS