Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 09:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't think I've ever looked twice at an LS460 driving down the street. Maybe it's because they're everywhere around my area. I'll take a 2nd look at an S63/65 though..
What's hilarious is I went on cars.com and brought up a 2015, and it was $63k used? I woulda thought maybe that's only 10k less than brand new. If you told me an Audi A8L is in the 80's, I would believe you. A Lexus doesn't seem to belong in that price range, but that's perception....
Old 08-04-17, 09:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
ehhhhh.. Maybach is people for Royalty status..
I would say S-Class would work for human level rich folks..

Think... Lincoln Towncar for rich people.. Airport runs.. Prom.. etc...
​​​​​​I think even the previous separate brand Maybach failed to attract enough buyers of royalty status, and thus is now defunct
The current much cheaper S class version of Maybach are more like executive limos to me ...
Old 08-04-17, 11:57 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think the S Class has both the name and the styling.
No one, including 7 Series, A8, LS or XJ has managed to match the S Class for stately styling.
I think XJ has the flagship limo design nailed right on. Its the most exquisite out of bunch. It's flows just right, it looks like a driver's car unlike S-class.

S-class is probably pound for pound best car in it's class but I do agree with few posters here its overhyped. It's not all that, it's an S-class like the one before. Sure you can opt for crazy Designo white wood and what not but in usual package it's an S-class. Don't get me wrong that's not a bad thing at all but it's not a spaceship as many believe it is. Screen integration is pretty cheap and dash design is how snob imagines modern luxury interior, it's grandiose but it doesn't evoke any emotion in me besides admiration for build quality. Seats on the other hand excite me a lot more than anything else inside the car, MB like Lexus knows how to design their seats. Aesthetically its like oldschool Bauhaus Ritter meets '10s technology and somehow they can't gel right. But again that's nitpicking on my side.

BMW and Audi really have nothing on S-class. They want to play contemporary techno theme, one business executive oriented and one the usual alternative subdued elegance but they can't capture that flagship panache just yet. Audi is close but BMW is so far off. That's why Lexus got so successful because they were available to replicate that flagship feeling and with the newest LS they have nailed the presence.
Old 08-04-17, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The XJ is a gorgeous car I agree. What held it back for me was the firmer, louder ride and the technology which was horrible. Now they have their updated system which is much better, not sure if the XJ has that since it's so old.

If the XJ had the new tech when I was shopping I may have gotten that. Leasewise it was as good a deal as the LS.
Old 08-04-17, 12:36 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I think XJ has the flagship limo design nailed right on. Its the most exquisite out of bunch. It's flows just right, it looks like a driver's car unlike S-class.

S-class is probably pound for pound best car in it's class but I do agree with few posters here its overhyped. It's not all that, it's an S-class like the one before. Sure you can opt for crazy Designo white wood and what not but in usual package it's an S-class. Don't get me wrong that's not a bad thing at all but it's not a spaceship as many believe it is. Screen integration is pretty cheap and dash design is how snob imagines modern luxury interior, it's grandiose but it doesn't evoke any emotion in me besides admiration for build quality. Seats on the other hand excite me a lot more than anything else inside the car, MB like Lexus knows how to design their seats. Aesthetically its like oldschool Bauhaus Ritter meets '10s technology and somehow they can't gel right. But again that's nitpicking on my side.

BMW and Audi really have nothing on S-class. They want to play contemporary techno theme, one business executive oriented and one the usual alternative subdued elegance but they can't capture that flagship panache just yet. Audi is close but BMW is so far off. That's why Lexus got so successful because they were available to replicate that flagship feeling and with the newest LS they have nailed the presence.
Not a spaceship (REALLY) Tell me what car has more features than the new S class?
Old 08-04-17, 02:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

XJ looks great from the outside but the interior is nothing special. Looks more like a mid level interior then a flagship interior.
Old 08-04-17, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually think the XJ has the best materials and interior in the segment, outside the S Class.

Everything is stitched leather basically. Real metal chrome trim, lots of piano black materials
Old 08-04-17, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Pretty attainable used, a 5-year old S65 AMG TT V12 should be worth about the same or even less, as a S550 of the same age and mileage
thanks but i have no interest in buying anything 5 or more years old, especially something as insanely expensive to maintain and fix as an s65 tt v12.
Old 08-04-17, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks but i have no interest in buying anything 5 or more years old, especially something as insanely expensive to maintain and fix as an s65 tt v12.
Word lol

10char
Old 08-04-17, 04:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Word lol

10char
Just checked, canadian S class models, don't think it will be different in the U.S., the V12's depreciation are just hilarious.
$ 200k S600 sedan residue after 4 years will be under $40k.
$ 260K S65 AMG coupe residue after 4 years will be under $40k
Find a CPO one for a taste of V12 to drive for a couple years should be worth it.
Old 08-04-17, 04:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

2014 S63s are going for high 70s, low 80s with decently low mileage. great fun and prestige for that price
Old 08-04-17, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In most aras, it's hard to fault the S-Class. It is indeed, as Steve puts it, one of the best Magic-Carpet rides under 200K. My only beefs with it (and I have yet to see a perfect car) are the complexity of the electronics (which is pretty much Run-of-the Mill in today's luxury cars) and the sheet metal/fenders/doors, which, IMO, feel tinny for the price, and clearly lack the tank-like solidness of Mercedes products of old.
Old 08-04-17, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

It also begs the question if anybody who can afford to own an S65 would actually want to sell it.
Old 08-04-17, 07:25 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's the smoothest, quietest car you can buy for less than $200k. Full stop. Whether it's a league apart or whatever isn't the point. If you want the best, that car is the best. Prestige is about having the best.
I think you're embellishing. Granted I don't know if you're referring to the $90k S-class (the real S-class) or the $150k-$200k S-class (the S-class used for marketing).

I haven't experienced the new A8 or 7er, but compared to an LS460 the W222 just feels like a newer car, and it is. 7 years newer. There is nothing special about it beyond that.

We're sitting in different cars. It's true the better leathers make an impact even in the S550, but everything is covered in real leather in EVERY S550, dash doors all of it. Even in a fully loaded LS460 you get stitched vinyl on the doors and dash. Every switch and material is high quality. I'm a stickler for good materials, and I can't find one material in even the most basic S550 that I find objectionable. Some of the material choices are different than what Lexus uses, such as the headliner which isn't cheap but is a woven matrix material vs a soft felt material in LS460s without alcantara, but cheap? Hardly. Again, it's about being the best, best materials you can find in a sedan under $200,000 are in that car.
The S-class I drove had headliner that felt straight out of an economy car. And in fact this is a complaint I had for the A8 as well. You can call it woven matrix or whatever, it looks and feels cheap. The LS460 door panels are buuutttery soft, and beautifully stitched. Go feel your own W222, door panels rock hard, even if they are covered in leather. Same goes for seats and arm rests.

Yes the S-class interior has a slight edge overall over the LS460, but never did I feel it was $30k+ better inside.

But forget the LS460, like I said the W222 is 7 years newer. The LS500 design wise at least blows the W222 interior out of the water.

I also think Lexus stitching quality is the best in the industry right now.

You think people turn and look at an LS?!

Pull up to your friends in an S550 and see how they react. The prestige is there I promise you. I know how people react when I pull up in the LS...and I think of you polled people which car was more expensive overwhelmingly they would pick the S550.
The prestige is not merit based, it's based on the the big Mercedes grill, star, and S-class nameplate. Put all of these on an LS460 and you will garner the same prestige. Not that an LS lacks for prestige.

A Model S Tesla, now that's a car with merit-based prestige, and I bet people would be more impressed with that than any S-class.

You mean the fate of overwhelmingly being the best selling luxury sedan in the world and being untouchable by their competition despite costing tens of thousands of dollars more on average? I think MB will accept that fate lol.
Sales and merit don't always go hand in hand. The S-class is also perennially the most overrated car in the world and among the fastest depreciating. Mercedes doesn't lose here. Guess who does.

You say the press fawns all over the car. I've probably driven 5 of them, and I can't see one thing I've read from the press that I didn't also find to be true about the car. I'm not an S Class fan overall either, the previous generation didn't appeal to me at all.

I'm sure the new LS500 will improve upon the 460 in many ways, material quality will get better, will it's demeanor be smoother and quieter or edgier and sportier? We'll see. It's not going to touch the S Class for prestige though.
I have no doubt as far as merit is concerned the LS500 will easily approach and in many areas exceed the W222. It will also be the more desirable car in the long term.

As an aside, people talk about the A8. The A8 doesn't belong among these cars in the US market. Its sales have always been dismal and it's FWD based. People only include it because it's German.

This segment in the USA has always firmly been S-class/LS/7Series. It has never been S-class/7series/A8.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-04-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The LS500 design wise at least blows the W222 interior out of the water.

i honestly can't stand that cut glass and oregami 'quilt' in the doors... elvis would have approved though.

I also think Lexus stitching quality is the best in the industry right now.
i am so over stitching and how many dead cow hides can be crammed into an interior.

The prestige is not merit based, it's based on the the big Mercedes grill, star, and S-class nameplate. Put all of these on an LS460 and you will garner the same prestige. Not that an LS lacks for prestige.
their lack of prestige must be why most diplomats the world over are ferried around in s-classes, why they're in front of every high end hotel in every major city in the world, why they're seen on the most famous rich streets (rodeo drive), etc.

A Model S Tesla, now that's a car with merit-based prestige, and I bet people would be more impressed with that than any S-class.
funny, you bash the s-class interior yet the tesla s interior is in some ways weaker than a premium brand.

I have no doubt as far as merit is concerned the LS500 will easily approach and in many areas exceed the W222. It will also be the more desirable car in the long term.
to some, i'm sure, but the ls has a tough road to dethrone the s class.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS