Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car loan stats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 05:10 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

69.3 month average does seem high. However, I think its also because of low interest rate and sometimes; the 0% finance offer! The Toyota Sienna I financed for my dad in 2014 was 60mon/$20K loan & 0% APR. I don't see a reason why we should opt for 36 or 48 month when its the same 0% APR and there's no penalty for early pay-off. We actually regretted we put $7k down as we can get it 100% finance & no interest. At the time we didn't know dealer can cut us a check for the trade-in and was thinking the trade-in can bring down the sales tax. If we would apply the $7k to the home mortgage, we could have saved $10k in interest instantly.

My dad cut me a $15k check last year for the remaining payment. With his agreement, I applied it to my mortgage and saved over $20K in interest. I just continue to pay his $333.33 monthly payment. I think those understand the math part know what I mean.
Old 07-19-17, 05:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

No issue with stretching it out as long as your reason for doing so is not because you can't afford the payments on a shorter term loan. It's like leasing, you shouldn't lease because you can't pay the higher payment. Using it as a financial tool is fine, same with a longer term 0% interest deal.
Old 07-19-17, 06:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am not surprised at all about these long term loans and $30K average price transactions. People seem to want to want everything today. The new generation has been born into a debt lifestyle where their parents are still paying off their home when they get theirs started. They are leaving college with debt that will take a very long time to pay off. Most people have no idea what it is like to live debt free as having loads of debt is all they know.

Worst part of everything is that the current gen of under 40 have no idea that interest rates in the early 80s were close to 18% if I remember correctly.
Old 07-19-17, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Why would people under 40 care that interest rates in the 80s were 18%? It isn't the 80s, and interest rates aren't 18%.
Old 07-19-17, 06:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Longest I've financed any vehicle for was 60 months and I've always paid it off in 40-48 months. I'm lucky to have a company car and my personal vehicles paid off so no new cars/payments for me. Wife likes the NX so that may be the next car payment I get involved in.
Old 07-19-17, 06:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Longest I've financed any vehicle for was 60 months and I've always paid it off in 40-48 months. I'm lucky to have a company car and my personal vehicles paid off so no new cars/payments for me. Wife likes the NX so that may be the next car payment I get involved in.
Good to hear that you get it paid off as soon as you can.
Old 07-19-17, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why would people under 40 care that interest rates in the 80s were 18%?
So they can appreciate what they are today LOL.....although that does work against people with fixed-income or rate-dependent investments. One of the things that I inherited from my late mother's estate (by her request, I was also the Executor), when she passed away in 2000, was an old municipal bond that was paying 25%.....double tax-free (no, I'm not kidding). The organization that issued it did not call it until 2004.

It isn't the 80s, and interest rates aren't 18%.
And one must also take into account that, today, we also don't have the punishing price-inflation we had in the late 1970s and early 80s that went with those sky-high interest rates...I lived through that, and remember it well. I can remember when new cars were also going up a double-digit rates....the price of a basic, no-frills, American-built compact coupe or sedan, for example, which was around $2500 or so in 1970 when I graduated from high school, had reached $6000 or so by 1980.
Old 07-19-17, 06:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Not much point in that, given that you already paid most of the interest on length of loan.
Old 07-19-17, 07:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So they can appreciate what they are today LOL.....although that does work against people with fixed-income or rate-dependent investments. One of the things that I inherited from my late mother's estate (by her request, I was also the Executor), when she passed away in 2000, was an old municipal bond that was paying 25%.....double tax-free (no, I'm not kidding). The organization that issued it did not call it until 2004.

And one must also take into account that, today, we also don't have the punishing price-inflation we had in the late 1970s and early 80s that went with those sky-high interest rates...I lived through that, and remember it well. I can remember when new cars were also going up a double-digit rates....the price of a basic, no-frills, American-built compact coupe or sedan, for example, which was around $2500 or so in 1970 when I graduated from high school, had reached $6000 or so by 1980.
This made me think of when my dad told me he was proud of my accomplishments, but unfortunately, did not think he could pay for my 2nd year in college. Back then, the school had a 39% acceptance rate, but even with aid and scholarship, my dad had to pay about 1/2. That was significant. In 2017 dollars, the price would be $16k. Parents today routinely have to pay $25k for an ordinary school, out of pocket, after loans and aid (I've heard them say no aid, just loans).

Today, the cost of attendance is about $70,000, yet unless the household makes > $250k, the cost of attendance is about 10% of income. If the household < $65k, it would be free.

The acceptance rate is 9.4%.

Should a child today appreciate the above? That my father had it so much worse, and I as the student had it so much better (much higher acceptance), I would probably say no. It is what it is, time marches on. I feel the same about the interest rates. 0% is usually captive financing, it's not truly 0%. I asked my credit union for 0% and they told me Hall and Oates, wonder why.
Old 07-19-17, 07:18 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This made me think of when my dad told me he was proud of my accomplishments, but unfortunately, did not think he could pay for my 2nd year in college. Back then, the school had a 39% acceptance rate, but even with aid and scholarship, my dad had to pay about 1/2. That was significant. In 2017 dollars, the price would be $16k. Parents today routinely have to pay $25k for an ordinary school, out of pocket, after loans and aid (I've heard them say no aid, just loans).

Today, the cost of attendance is about $70,000, yet unless the household makes > $250k, the cost of attendance is about 10% of income. If the household < $65k, it would be free.

The acceptance rate is 9.4%.

Should a child today appreciate the above? That my father had it so much worse, and I as the student had it so much better (much higher acceptance), I would probably say no. It is what it is, time marches on. I feel the same about the interest rates. 0% is usually captive financing, it's not truly 0%. I asked my credit union for 0% and they told me Hall and Oates, wonder why.
Rich girl is a really good song. It's now stuck in my head. I don't know if that's the Hall and Oates reference you intended but it seems appropriate.
Old 07-19-17, 07:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Rich girl is a really good song. It's now stuck in my head.
haha me and my buddy use Hall and Oates to refer to "No Can Do" which I guess is really "I Can't Go for That." There's an excellent version on YouTube from Darryl's house. That guitarist is sick, but I guess he was fired....
Old 07-19-17, 07:23 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha me and my buddy use Hall and Oates to refer to "No Can Do" which I guess is really "I Can't Go for That." There's an excellent version on YouTube from Darryl's house. That guitarist is sick, but I guess he was fired....
I'll have to look it up -- task of the day!
Old 07-19-17, 08:02 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not much point in that, given that you already paid most of the interest on length of loan.
The extra payments I make go directly to principal so I'm cutting interest on overall length of loan. My interest rates are always low last one was 3.75%. Finishing a loan 12-20 payments ahead of schedule is a win in my book. Don't see how "not much point" if I'm paying it off early versus going entire length and paying more interest.
Old 07-19-17, 08:30 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The extra payments I make go directly to principal so I'm cutting interest on overall length of loan. My interest rates are always low last one was 3.75%. Finishing a loan 12-20 payments ahead of schedule is a win in my book. Don't see how "not much point" if I'm paying it off early versus going entire length and paying more interest.
Once you add actual dollars to your analysis you'll see what he means.
I just ran a quick calc for 30K loan with 3.75% interest
Total interest is 2,947 of which last 12 payments account only for 131 dollars of interest.
I cannot argue with paying off earlier as it is a winning strategy but not everyone cares about saving 130 bucks.
Old 07-19-17, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Once you add actual dollars to your analysis you'll see what he means.
I just ran a quick calc for 30K loan with 3.75% interest
Total interest is 2,947 of which last 12 payments account only for 131 dollars of interest.
I cannot argue with paying off earlier as it is a winning strategy but not everyone cares about saving 130 bucks.
Don't know if you are really and "Oldfart" but why pay interest on anything if you do not have to?

Quick Reply: Car loan stats