Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 08:43 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The new Accord looks sportier from the front but I agree with others that it looks unfinished, as if there was a design battle and the team ran out of time. I don't really care for the 3/4 view at all as it is reminiscent of the hideous Accord CrossTour. I was reading a MotorTrend comparo between the Accord and Camry and overall the Accord is the better car, with a more inviting interior and better driving dynamics. Glad the Accord redeems itself with content and substance but, from the angle below, it looks like the car was in an accident and missing parts of the front headlight assembly. The previous Accord was better styled to me.

Old 10-13-17, 02:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The new Accord looks sportier from the front but I agree with others that it looks unfinished, as if there was a design battle and the team ran out of time. I don't really care for the 3/4 view at all as it is reminiscent of the hideous Accord CrossTour. I was reading a MotorTrend comparo between the Accord and Camry and overall the Accord is the better car, with a more inviting interior and better driving dynamics. Glad the Accord redeems itself with content and substance but, from the angle below, it looks like the car was in an accident and missing parts of the front headlight assembly. The previous Accord was better styled to me.

I agree with you word for word. The front looks totally unfinished. There really is no grille. It's just a big gaping hole with a jumbo unibrow over it. Lazy stylists. I can't see how this appears appealing to anyone, but somehow Car & Driver thinks this is the best looking Accord ever. Can you imagine how such a sharp, upper area would be in a pedestrian collision? It would slice the body right in half! Progress, NOT. This is a major safety hazard for peds. And anything that resembles a Crosstour is shameful. That and the ZDX were two of the ugliest body shapes in recent times.
Old 10-13-17, 04:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, that angle shows the front nose looking awful.
Old 10-13-17, 05:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
. The front looks totally unfinished. There really is no grille. It's just a big gaping hole with a jumbo unibrow over it.
Yep. Looks like a car still in a body shop where they have not yet replaced the grille.

but somehow Car & Driver thinks this is the best looking Accord ever.
It doesn't look bad once you get past the grille.

Can you imagine how such a sharp, upper area would be in a pedestrian collision? It would slice the body right in half! Progress, NOT. This is a major safety hazard for peds
DOT and NHTSA, though, (apparently) OK'ed the design.

And anything that resembles a Crosstour is shameful. That and the ZDX were two of the ugliest body shapes in recent times.
Though the Crosstour wasn't exactly handsome, I'd consider the ZDX much worse.....around the same level as the Pontiac Aztek. The main problem with the Crosstour was not so much its ugliness as the fact that, unlike the competing Subaru Outback, the egg-shaped rear of the Crosstour just didn't have the same space-efficiency and cargo area. The Honda engineers, IMO, would have been far better off using the platform of the nice, squared-off Acura TSX Sportwagon for the Crosstour, but they didn't.
Old 10-13-17, 11:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

They took the Civic design, stretched it and made it even uglier than the ugly civic design. You gotta be a hardcore Accord fan to buy this thing, unless you dont plan on looking at the car from the outside ever. Get in the car before the suns up and get home after the sun sets and don't ever turn the lights on.
Old 10-13-17, 01:21 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

They tried to do fastback coupe, but got something ugly instead.

Old 10-13-17, 04:46 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

doesn't really look so bad. previous generation pre-mmc still looks better IMO.
Old 10-13-17, 04:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Having no grill is going to be the new fad.
Old 10-13-17, 05:02 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Personally I like it. Have to see in person if I still feel the same way. As far as the interior, if it looks as good in person as in pics, I think it's much better than the new Camry. But these are subjective, as it's what each individual likes.
Old 10-13-17, 05:52 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks gorgeous in Touring Trim.
The headlight cluster is full LEDs whereas the lower specs are partial LED.
Old 10-13-17, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Look at those tires LOL. The wheel-rims themselves might as well be sitting on the carpet.
Old 10-13-17, 06:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look at those tires LOL. The wheel-rims themselves might as well be sitting on the carpet.
Don't judge a book by its cover. You don't need a large sidewall anymore to have a comfortable ride. The Accord Touring has Adaptive Variable Suspension (dampers) and fluid-filled bushings to help improve ride quality. Also active noise cancellation helps mask road and engine noise (always a Honda sore spot).
Old 10-13-17, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Don't judge a book by its cover. You don't need a large sidewall anymore to have a comfortable ride.
You usually do for what I would consider a comfortable ride...though I'll admit that the Lincoln MKZ doesn't do badly with 45s, and some of the older BMWs with even lower profiles than that. But that is not the only issue with wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires. You generally lose some pothole/impact protection, it lowers the stance of the car over speed-bumps, ramps, etc....causing underbelly and air-dam scrapes, makes the tires more expensive to replace, and can cause added suspension/steering-system wear by transmitting more road-impacts through to them. Given a choice, I'll pass.
Old 10-14-17, 06:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You usually do for what I would consider a comfortable ride...though I'll admit that the Lincoln MKZ doesn't do badly with 45s, and some of the older BMWs with even lower profiles than that. But that is not the only issue with wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires. You generally lose some pothole/impact protection, it lowers the stance of the car over speed-bumps, ramps, etc....causing underbelly and air-dam scrapes, makes the tires more expensive to replace, and can cause added suspension/steering-system wear by transmitting more road-impacts through to them. Given a choice, I'll pass.
What?! Low profile tires don’t lower the stance of the car at all. The wheel/tire combo is the same diameter, there is just more wheel and less tire.

Thats why higher profile fires are on 18s and lower profile fires in 20s. The wheel tire combo diameter for both is the same.

Old 10-14-17, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1

that front looks truly hideous.

Quick Reply: 2018 Honda Accord