Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota cut lines at an NYC soup kitchen from 90 minutes to 18

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 07:00 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Toyota cut lines at an NYC soup kitchen from 90 minutes to 18

Toyota obviously gives plenty of money to charity, but this post about how it used its knowledge to streamline operations at an NYC soup kitchen. How awesome is that?
Old 06-24-17, 09:04 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They figured it out watching a Seinfeld episode
Old 06-26-17, 04:46 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
They figured it out watching a Seinfeld episode
Ha ha! That would be one way to do it... But not the most charitable, ha ha!
Old 06-26-17, 08:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Oh man, there is a guy like that in Nashville. Manny's House of Pizza, downtown in the Arcade(kind of like a lunch time food court for all the office workers nearby). He's from NYC, been in Nashville since the 1980's in this same spot. I've been there plenty of times, he's like "Okay man, what do you want, what can I do for you??" And of course he has a very simple menu, up on the a big board above where you wait in line, one type of crust, you pick the toppings or if you want it by the slice, he has like 2 to 4 pizzas under the glass. You hesitate, tell him to wait a second, you know, if you don't directly bark out your order, he gets all mad and is like "Come on!!!!, you are holding up my line, you see me back here, I'm already as old as Methuselah back here, I might just croak before you order". He's rude and pushy, but at the same time its rather hilarious, and I have seen him tell a group of people who couldn't decide what to order, "Hey either order something or get the **** outta of here, I got a line out the door."

Sometimes that type of attitude is very refreshing in the south, where people are overly polite and fake IMO.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-26-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 09:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Oh man, there is a guy like that in Nashville. Manny's House of Pizza, downtown in the Arcade(kind of like a lunch time food court for all the office workers nearby). He's from NYC, been in Nashville since the 1980's in this same spot. I've been there plenty of times, he's like "Okay man, what do you want, what can I do for you??" And of course he has a very simple menu, up on the a big board above where you wait in line, one type of crust, you pick the toppings or if you want it by the slice, he has like 2 to 4 pizzas under the glass. You hesitate, tell him to wait a second, you know, if you don't directly bark out your order, he gets all mad and is like "Come on!!!!, you are holding up my line, you see me back here, I'm already as old as Methuselah back here, I might just croak before you order". He's rude and pushy, but at the same time its rather hilarious, and I have seen him tell a group of people who couldn't decide what to order, "Hey either order something or get the **** outta of here, I got a line out the door."

Sometimes that type of attitude is very refreshing in the south, where people are overly polite and fake IMO.
Old 06-26-17, 11:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's funny because I've seen Manny act the same way a couple of times with his regulars. You know, "Oh yeah, Mr Joe,glad to see you back here, how you doing today????, Reach his arm across the counter and shake his hand. Aw Manny my wife is giving me the cold shoulder, she don't like how I'm staying out late with my new job, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah. About 20 seconds into that convo, hey kid, get over here and take some orders, I'm going to make Mr Joe a nice pizza. So that kid was now doing two tasks while Manny was gabbing up his regular.

Now Manny was performing his art, tossing and spinning that dough into a pizza pie while he was gabbing with his customer, you know, that back and forth banter between two guys from New York about their women. He made that pizza himself for that one particular customer, chatted him up for the next 3-4 minutes while the pizza was in the oven, just ignoring everybody else in line, screw those people he had 3 other guys to work the line.

I really do appreciate somebody that is kind of old school New York in terms of customer service and makes a quality product. They can get away with being rude if they are efficient, clean, reasonable in price, and make a tasty product.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-26-17 at 11:22 PM.