Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 06:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

2.23 in Miami for regular
Old 06-23-17, 06:39 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Must be a local price war, it's been at 104.9 since Wednesday around the GTA. Shell Premium @ 125.9 while Esso Premium @ 121.9 Shell is always .04 more for their Premium.
Smaller city just outside the "big" city and there is always a local war going. Big retailers trying to put the independents out of business. They should give up as it's been going on for years.
Old 06-23-17, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Still over $3 per gallon here in L.A. Insane politicians trying to save the world, but killing the working family.
Old 06-24-17, 04:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Still over $3 per gallon here in L.A. Insane politicians trying to save the world, but killing the working family.
I've worked in NJ for years, and never realized that where I live has the highest gas tax in the nation? Only until all the publicity in NJ last fall did I find out, when NJ went from the 2nd cheapest, to the 7th most expensive, due to a 23 cent hike. It's completely a manipulated market, because same thing happened. Even though more cars require premium today, one saw regular go up the full 23 cents, but premium less than 23 cents. I guess there is some elasticity. But CA is in its own world (your gas tax is 1.2 cents higher than FLA, which has cheap gas). Anyway when I bought the LS in Oct. premium was $1.889, today I pay $2.429 at the warehouse clubs (would be much higher elsewhere)...54 cents more per gallon is not cheap imho....it's almost 30% higher

to your point it's not the politicians because look at your gas tax. and the retailer claims he's not making any money and has to resort to selling milk and convenience items to survive. Someone is making money, though....in our area WAWA is going up like hotcakes, as in FLA, etc. That wouldn't happen if the profits were not there
Old 06-24-17, 06:03 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've worked in NJ for years, and never realized that where I live has the highest gas tax in the nation? Only until all the publicity in NJ last fall did I find out, when NJ went from the 2nd cheapest, to the 7th most expensive, due to a 23 cent hike. It's completely a manipulated market, because same thing happened. Even though more cars require premium today, one saw regular go up the full 23 cents, but premium less than 23 cents. I guess there is some elasticity. But CA is in its own world (your gas tax is 1.2 cents higher than FLA, which has cheap gas). Anyway when I bought the LS in Oct. premium was $1.889, today I pay $2.429 at the warehouse clubs (would be much higher elsewhere)...54 cents more per gallon is not cheap imho....it's almost 30% higher

to your point it's not the politicians because look at your gas tax. and the retailer claims he's not making any money and has to resort to selling milk and convenience items to survive. Someone is making money, though....in our area WAWA is going up like hotcakes, as in FLA, etc. That wouldn't happen if the profits were not there
gas station owners aren't making any money. I have a friend that owns one. The markup on gas barely breakeven for the upkeep of the pumps and wages. Where he makes money is the soda, sandwiches, candy, beer, cigarettes, snacks... that's why wawa is always on commercials promoting their sandwiches and coffee drinks, you would never hear them advertising their inferior gas...although cheap to attract motorists
drivers complain about the high cost of gas even when oil is plummeting in prices, in reality it's driven up by increased taxes. The state see opportunity to balance and raise taxes as oil prices fall and capitalize on the opportunity. The spread from regular to premium used to be 30 cents years ago. It creeped up to 40, and now around 60 cents. All while oil prices went from 110/ barrel to 42 currently
Old 06-24-17, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
gas station owners aren't making any money. I have a friend that owns one. The markup on gas barely breakeven for the upkeep of the pumps and wages. Where he makes money is the soda, sandwiches, candy, beer, cigarettes, snacks... that's why wawa is always on commercials promoting their sandwiches and coffee drinks, you would never hear them advertising their inferior gas...although cheap to attract motorists
Well then, if that's the case, then why do people continue to buy those things at gas stations instead of at grocery stores? Make the transaction at the gas station what it's supposed to be....filling up the gas tank, not one's stomach.
Old 06-24-17, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

New Jersey also has expensive gas because, from what I understand, the state does not allow self-serve stations (the only one of 50 that doesn't)....you have to cover the salary of some careless attendant at the pumps who scratches up your paint with the filler-nozzle or lets raw gas spill down the fender because he or she doesn't know how to remove it properly.
Old 06-24-17, 11:16 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well then, if that's the case, then why do people continue to buy those things at gas stations instead of at grocery stores? Make the transaction at the gas station what it's supposed to be....filling up the gas tank, not one's stomach.
then the cost of gasoline would have to be priced higher. The fact is gasoline margins are very low and at times they actually loose money on every gallon. 3 cents a gallon is very high, a penny is normal margin . It is why most gas stations are C-stores. The exception to these margins may be New Jersey, because they have to have full service only. Costco, and sams club cover cost by lack of overhead, and to bring you in to shop at the store.

lol mike, you posted about jersey while I was typing this.
Old 06-24-17, 12:36 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
convenience and laziness

dont forget majority drivers use credit cards. That eat up average 2% of the sale price

Last edited by ssmoked; 06-24-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad
then the cost of gasoline would have to be priced higher. The fact is gasoline margins are very low and at times they actually loose money on every gallon. 3 cents a gallon is very high, a penny is normal margin . It is why most gas stations are C-stores. The exception to these margins may be New Jersey, because they have to have full service only. Costco, and sams club cover cost by lack of overhead, and to bring you in to shop at the store.
Yes, I realize that. But my earlier point was not that the stations sell those things on the side to make that bargain....only to bring up the question of why drivers have to fill up not only their tank at those stations, but their stomach as well, with cheap un-nutritious junk food and sodas. Unless I was really hungry, junk like that would be about the last thing I'd want to put in my stomach. There are usually far better choices elsewhere.

Ssmoked mentioned the issue of impatience/convienence and laziness...he's probably right, which is typical of an instant-gratification society.

One thing in my area (D.C. suburbs) that helps.....Giant Food (supermarkets) gives you a $0.10 a gallon discount at Shell stations for every 100 points accumulated on your grocery bonus-card (usually 1 point for each dollar spent). So, even more reason to get your food from the grocery. And Shell gas is good stuff......Shell and Chevron generally have the best detergent-additives.

lol mike, you posted about jersey while I was typing this.
Yeah.....I don't understand why the state government won't allow self-serve (the only one that won't). Maybe because they think that the average car owner can't fill his or tank correctly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-24-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 10:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

U.S. national average is right around $2.26 per gallon. http://gasprices.aaa.com

Our forecasting/macroeconomics team expects this to stay under $3 for the next 3-5 years.
Old 06-25-17, 10:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Regular is around $2.00 a gallon in Nashville, give or take 5 cents depending on the day. Premium gas is ridiculous though, $2.70-2.80 a gallon if you get the good stuff from shell, BP, or another top tier brand. Discount places like Thortons, Mapco, etc isn't much cheaper, maybe $2.60 to $2.70, usually they're 10 to 15 cents cheaper than name brand gas. Pisses me off, Premium, not too many years ago was about .30 cents more, regardless of the cost of regular, now days premium is almost 1/3rd more than regular for no damn reason IMO.
Old 06-25-17, 11:16 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait for California to increase the gas tax at the end of 2017...

The politicians here claim that the gas tax needed to be increased (again) because they need more money to fix roads and potholes. I didn't buy into that. They increased it a few years ago and I don't see any jack$#!t "improvements". They voted on this tax gas increase without letting us Californians vote on it ourselves.

At the same time, they voted on increasing their own salary by 3% because they feel "underpaid".

Not attacking any major political parties right now (I'm an independent), but this is the one and only time I will actually disagree with the democrat politicians here in California.

Yup, combine the increased gas prices on top of stagnant wages, high commuting costs, expensive housing (rent), the electric vehicles that can get away with not paying gas taxes, high costs of living, etc.

In the end, I don't care if I have to pay high taxes for gas, just as long as the roads have ZERO potholes, and the money doesn't get "siphoned" over to other things for misuse. I'm tired of my car car hitting potholes, causing me to pay for new tires, rims, alignment, shocks and struts, wear and tear, and other things inside the car that vibrates (which in the end will make the car wear out faster in the long run). With the high gas taxes, the road better be paved with gold.

The state of California should get a tax audit...
Old 06-26-17, 10:10 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Oregon here is the only other state that bans self-serve. Beautiful summers here, but the people in Portland and Salem (the capitol) are insane, just as insane as the folks in San Francisco.

Grew up in Southern California back when it was a wonderful, gentle place for middle-class families. In a way I'm glad that California does all these crazy things, because (a) it doesn't affect me and (b) it shows other states what NOT to do as the California experiments fail.
Old 06-26-17, 10:28 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Gas prices here in Vegas are still closer to $3 a gallon.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices