Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Loses Its Luster in J.D. Power Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as you and others have said, the competition has caught up, and apparently gone ahead. it's not that lexus has become 'worse', just relatively perhaps. but as i've written many times, these 'reports' and 'surveys' are more about clicks and PR than much value, because if a rating goes from say 70 problems per hundred vehicles to 80 problems per hundred vehicles and drops like a rock in ratings, that going from .7 problems per car to .8 problems per car, hardly a 'crisis'.
There are some years in there were Lexus had numbers in the 70s...its not that its a "crisis" but its indicative of a problem and from a PR standpoint for Lexus, this is a crisis.

perhaps because consumers are more sophisticated these days and expect things to work as well or better than their cell phones, tablets, etc. and many cars have HORRIBLE user interfaces.
I drive a lot of cars, and I really don't think the Lexus system is horrible. Its way behind almost everybody else, no doubting that, but there are still systems that are worse and companies that have just replaced systems that are worse, etc.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-22-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 05:18 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is what happens when you sit back and cut back. For the past 10 years Lexus has not made any significant moves in power or technology. This should be a wake up call for Toyota.
Old 06-22-17, 05:33 PM
DennisK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't believe there are widespread mechanical and electrical problems, I think that they're likely trim problems, rattles, QC such as wind noise and unbalanced wheels etc that are dragging this down.
I respectfully disagree with you. Look on the RX thread, specifically the thread about excessive noise and vibration. There are over 900 entries on this post, not all unique but still yet a lot of drivers (myself included) are fed up with paying $60K for a car that hesitates, droans and vibrates. All the while, Lexus has chosen to do NOTHING about it.
Old 06-22-17, 05:45 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The major thing I never unsderstood with Lexus was the refusal to deal with problems and changes to an already released car. When Lexus presents a model its stays the very same to the day its taken out of production = 6-8 years. Yes I know they do facelifts and so on, but all the major things stays the very same and so does the "problems" and issues . Maybe a new color now and then , but that´s about it.

But I do think that Lexus and Toyota always will be among the most reliable cars to own. I remember back in the 90ties when I had BMW:s and Audi:s and I got worried before every road trip I did , will the car break down or not ? Had all kind of assistance numbers written down on every trip Lexus errased that problem completely.
Old 06-22-17, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
This is what happens when you sit back and cut back. For the past 10 years Lexus has not made any significant moves in power or technology. This should be a wake up call for Toyota.
Power is not a measure of a vehicle's reliability....all else equal, it simply determines is how fast you go when you press the gas pedal. Technology may or may not be a measure of reliability, depending on how reliable it is and how it is implemented. But, again, the absence of technology (or of up-to-date features) does not guarantee unreliability.
Old 06-22-17, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There are some years in there were Lexus had numbers in the 70s...its not that its a "crisis" but its indicative of a problem and from a PR standpoint for Lexus, this is a crisis.
it's not good, especially when it's in USAToday, and when a key to Lexus' success has been its reputation for reliability and no drama/problems.

I drive a lot of cars, and I really don't think the Lexus system is horrible.
just to clarify, i didn't say lexus is horrible, just that some cars out there are, and i think most are worse in design than modern phones and an ipad for example.
Old 06-22-17, 11:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Go read the new rx forum. You'll see why the rankings have fallen due to their number one selling car. Others have clearly caught up and passed Lexus. The brand has little excitement throughout its lineup.
You nailed it right there

If I love a car I can tolerate little issues here and there, but I cant tolerate how boring and bland they have become ...... I don't see any noticeable differences between Honda/Acura and Lexus now , in design and performance.

I'm actually finding myself pulling a complete 180 from my former self, and I'm really excited about what the Americans are doing ...making fast, fun, cool cars at affordable prices . They are definitely making waves in the performance world and making an impression on me as well.

Regarding this survey , I don't doubt its true but it really doesn't mean a whole lot

Mercedes are one of the worst cars imaginable and yet they are still at the top....and at the end of the day Lexus will still be lexus and kia/Hyundai will still be Kia/Hyundai.
Old 06-23-17, 05:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It could be that a lot of respondents have been exposed to other systems or have other vehicles with better systems and realize the one in their Toyota or Lexus isn't up to par these days.
This is exactly the case IMO. JD power mentioned this is some quotes for an article on this subject. Compare the infortainment system between a 2017 LS460 system to the current system in the 5 or 7 series. The LS is the same thing since 2013 whereas the BMW systems has seriously improved.
Old 06-23-17, 05:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

just to clarify, i didn't say lexus is horrible, just that some cars out there are, and i think most are worse in design than modern phones and an ipad for example.
I am willing to say it is horrible. Not trying to offend anyone but I had in my previous CT and using in my parents ES confirmed it for a second time. Add in the goofy idea of not having a AC hard button or any radio presets and you are bound to **** off a lot of people.

Now take a look at the BMW systems, they at least have hard buttons or redundancy buttons that just make it simply easier to use. I think Genesis does this too and both have touch screen as well as the iDrive remote as well as hard buttons.
Old 06-23-17, 06:33 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus - most reliable brand in 2017 according to J.D. Power - reported by USNEWS

Here's another article from USNEWS dated May 17, 2017 which indicated "Lexus takes the crown as the most reliable car brand, according to J.D. Power" , quite a contradicting picture compared to the article written by NBC, here's the link to the article: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ble-car-brands

Name:  cars_zpst1pa0msc.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  149.5 KB
Old 06-23-17, 07:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

it's all about da clicks...
Old 06-23-17, 09:14 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

^^ they're different surveys and measures of performance. i'm not at all surprised to see lexus at the top reliability wise.

that said, echoing bitkahuna, it's all about the clicks.
Old 06-23-17, 11:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

More interesting to me is not a slide in Lexus satisfaction, as their numbers are basically unchanged, but quite the massive surge of improvement by several other makes. Impressive to see. Lexus will have some work to do if they want to get back to the top.

FWIW (not much), both my previous 2014 IS350 and my current GS350 are rattle free.
Old 06-23-17, 11:22 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
For those left that use a windows phone and those that can't turn on BT they must not be using the infotainment system anyway So what would they complain about. I don't think these owners make a blip in the ranking.
They would complain they can't use the infotainment system. and that would make them unsatisfied because they can't use a very important feature of their car. So, I think they make more than a blip in the ranking.
Old 06-23-17, 12:06 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
They would complain they can't use the infotainment system. and that would make them unsatisfied because they can't use a very important feature of their car. So, I think they make more than a blip in the ranking.
I am very tech savvy and my 2016 RX navi is crap. Paying a few thousand for a outdated system. It looks very large & pretty on my dash. That's it.

Quick Reply: Lexus Loses Its Luster in J.D. Power Quality Study